Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 04:11 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times

Advertisements

It’s another thing to keep plugged into the wall for years on end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 04:17 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,403,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagster View Post
Ever have a dead battery and someone offered to start your car if the bumpers matched? If you remember this you're getting up there.
Ah yeah, the good ol' days. As a young'in I used to live in an apartment complex that had a little hill that led out of the parking lot. That little hill proved to be useful more than a few times for my crappy little VW Rabbit that I had.

Good times!

Old 03-08-2019, 04:43 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
Ah yeah, the good ol' days. As a young'in I used to live in an apartment complex that had a little hill that led out of the parking lot. That little hill proved to be useful more than a few times for my crappy little VW Rabbit that I had.

Good times!
Push start been there done that younger people can’t do that today because they can’t drive a manual.

Old 03-08-2019, 04:44 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
If the battery goes dead because the car doesn’t get driven much (as opposed to being a tired old battery that showed signs of being on its last legs), just hook up a Battery Tender or Battery Tender Jr. trickle charger for a whopping, what, $40?!!?

It is not a jump starter. But for infrequently-driven cars, it’ll keep the battery from getting drained. It is a very small gadget.

Or get AAA membership’s road service.

If someone relies too often on you to jump them and complains about paying for AAA or a battery charger or jumper, change the price comparison equation: CHARGE THEM for jumping them.

Old 03-08-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I absolutely hate these posts. "How come EVERYONE is doing xxx?"
First of all I complete disagree that people are making a conscious decision "I am not going to buy a portable battery jumper...if my battery dies, I will just ask someone for help."
That's NOT the thought process of... oh... I'd guess 100% of people!!!

How's this for an explanation: needing a jump start isn't nearly as common as it used to be. Something people don't give much thought to nowadays. (Cue someone posting "I know a guy who's jumped his car 6 times this winter..." in anticipation)

It's almost HARD to drain a car battery on accidents today in modern cars. My Volvo will not allow any interior lights to stay on for more then 10 minutes after the car is shut off.

I've needed a jump start.... once in 9 years. Once. On my cars, my wife's cars... over 4 different cars.

And I was in my driveway. With access to my other car. And cables.

Jerk. God forbid you take 10 minutes to help a fellow human being.
Oh, yeeeeaaaah? Just off the top of my head, I can think of at least four people who lived by the Someone Else Will Save My Btt habit. Other people noticed it frequently enough to warn me.

Old 03-08-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtvaj125 View Post
1. They just don't know how to. Most don't even know how to check their engine oil level.

2. They probably heard it can really screw up their car if done incorrectly.

Fear and not knowing how to can be very strong deterrents.

Jumper cables come in a box that has directions on it. First time I used them, I had someone else check to make sure I did it correctly. But I did it. >GASP!<

Owner’s manuals also contain directions on how to jump start the battery. Oh...how could I forget...hardly anyone bothers to read those anymore...

Old 03-08-2019, 05:23 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,562,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Yes. Agree.

I just met a woman in her 60's who asked me to show her how to pump gas at the gas station. She drives every week but her husband always pumped the gas. He became temporarily incapacitated.

Met a younger person when I noticed that two of the tires were low in air. I handed this young person a standard tire pressure gauge. Young person had no clue what it was or what it did. Then I asked if young person knew how to add air to tires at gas station. Again, had no clue.

Jumper cables. Not gonna happen too often. Of course that is another subject as to why people should get AAA road coverage. But AAA has been discussed endlessly on here. So no need to respond to AAA here now.

But do note. I carry jumper cables in both of my vehicles AND I have AAA PLUS.
The last time that I needed a jump from a fellow driver, I had to show him how to jump a dead battery using my jumper cables. The man looked to be in his late thirties.

At least once a winter, I help either a neighbor or someone in the parking garage or a lot by giving them a jump. It's just simple driver's courtesy, as far as I'm concerned, although I do use reasonable caution if a stranded driver seems a bit sketchy and/or it's after dark.

I also upgraded to the highest level of service offered by AAA and carry a set of jumper cables and an emergency kit in both cars because things do happen and I'm on the road a decent bit. The battery pack is something that I only charge and carry if I'm going camping because cell service is borderline non-existent when I'm up on the mountain.

(Thanks to my father for not only teaching me how to use jumper cables, but also how to do basic maintenance on a car, change a tire, drive a manny tranny, and for getting me my first AAA membership card. )

Old 03-08-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
The last time that I needed a jump from a fellow driver, I had to show him how to jump a dead battery using my jumper cables. The man looked to be in his late thirties.

At least once a winter, I help either a neighbor or someone in the parking garage or a lot by giving them a jump. It's just simple driver's courtesy, as far as I'm concerned, although I do use reasonable caution if a stranded driver seems a bit sketchy and/or it's after dark.

I also upgraded to the highest level of service offered by AAA and carry a set of jumper cables and an emergency kit in both cars because things do happen and I'm on the road a decent bit. The battery pack is something that I only charge and carry if I'm going camping because cell service is borderline non-existent when I'm up on the mountain.

(Thanks to my father for not only teaching me how to use jumper cables, but also how to do basic maintenance on a car, change a tire, drive a manny tranny, and for getting me my first AAA membership card. )
Good idea, bringing a battery pack on camping trips. I have the other items plus AAA but never did this. Your post is making me think I should get one for such times. At home, I can use the slow-charger (charges in a few hours), running off an AC outlet. A battery pack kept charged for immediate help would round out the kit.

Old 03-08-2019, 05:49 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,421,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Good idea, bringing a battery pack on camping trips. I have the other items plus AAA but never did this. Your post is making me think I should get one for such times. At home, I can use the slow-charger (charges in a few hours), running off an AC outlet. A battery pack kept charged for immediate help would round out the kit.
A generator would be a better idea than a battery pack for a home power outage wouldn’t you think. And if you’re so worried about a dead battery get a battery tender and use it when you park the vehicle for the day. Cheaper than a battery pack , just get a good set of jumper cables.

Old 03-08-2019, 06:29 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
I also wonder why there isn't a battery level gauge on new cars?

My car has one but you have to cycle to it from other displays like oil life, average miles etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive