Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 03:17 PM

192 posts, read 186,386 times

Advertisements

I'm diving into Van Life so I'm in the market for a van, either used or new, and my biggest priority is reliability. I plan to take good care of it with regular and recorded maintenance records. MPG is my second priority.

I've considered Transits and ProMasters but both have their fair share of disgruntled owners with every problem under the sun, including crappy customer service that doesn't care, especially when the vehicle is under warranty. (Long wait time to get problems fixed and parts usually not readily available.) Also, the problems that these vans have, are problems they've had for years that the makers refuse to correct, or listen to owner concerns, requests, or demands.

Sprinters are just too pricey and finding a mechanic to work on them as you're driving the country? Good luck. Then again, I hear this is a problem (although less of one) with ProMasters and Transits, too.

If Toyota got into this class of van, I'd buy it in a heartbeat and wouldn't hesitate to be the first guinea pig buying one. I want a van that will last a very long time because I'm going full-time and long-term.

I don't know much about Ford or Chevy vans but it's my understanding that they're more reliable and you can find a mechanic is any podunk town who can work on them with parts usually always available. Just needs a hightop. Any recommendations for this type of van or Ford vs Chevy?

Ideally, I love the idea of building out a small shuttle bus but I have no idea about their reliability and hear they only get about 8-10 mpg.

RV-wise, I'd only consider a Class B but my research tells me that they're horribly made and a nightmare (and expensive) to maintain and repair.

Any other ideas or recommendations for a vehicle (no larger than a small shuttle bus) that's reliable, gets decent MPG, and would make a nice home on wheels? I'm open to all helpful advice, warnings and/or recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2019, 03:23 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,767,469 times
What range are you looking at in terms of year model and $$ ?

Old 03-10-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
What range are you looking at in terms of year model and $$ ?
Honestly, I'm keeping all options wide open right now when it comes to any of that. I'd rather not spend a fortune but if there's proven reliability, I'd be willing.

Even if I end up with a Chevy Express 2500 without a high top, I'm good with that. I'm not looking for the Instagram Version of van life. A high top is definitely preferable though.

ETA: How are GMC Savanas, Chevy Astro, or Dodge Ram vans? For reliability and longevity, are they worth buying new?

Last edited by Mr. E. Ryter; 03-10-2019 at 04:01 PM..

Old 03-10-2019, 05:06 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,252,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. E. Ryter View Post
I don't know much about Ford or Chevy vans but it's my understanding that they're more reliable and you can find a mechanic is any podunk town who can work on them with parts usually always available. Just needs a hightop. Any recommendations for this type of van or Ford vs Chevy?
They still sell lots of these (about 85K last year) because they are simple and proven designs with V8 engines.
The bugs were worked out of them years ago.

Ford is out of that business, so it's Chevy or GMC.

Old 03-10-2019, 05:08 PM

12,411 posts, read 9,510,794 times
Does it have to be a van? Have you considered the idea of something like a Subaru Outback towing a nice teardrop trailer? That gives some flexibility - unhitch the trailer and you can be driving a fairly maneuverable vehicle that gets decent mileage. And they are quite reliable. Some people even sleep in the back of these wagons but I think that's a little too snug.

Old 03-10-2019, 05:11 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,930,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. E. Ryter View Post
Honestly, I'm keeping all options wide open right now when it comes to any of that. I'd rather not spend a fortune but if there's proven reliability, I'd be willing.

Even if I end up with a Chevy Express 2500 without a high top, I'm good with that. I'm not looking for the Instagram Version of van life. A high top is definitely preferable though.

ETA: How are GMC Savanas, Chevy Astro, or Dodge Ram vans? For reliability and longevity, are they worth buying new?
The GM vans are well built but are very thirsty, so if fuel mileage is a concern that would rule those out. Same with Ford Econolines, very well built / not fuel efficient.

If you want fuel efficiency then the Transit is your van. They are excellent. Really surprised GM has been asleep at the wheel in the aero van segment. Ford has always dominated it, so maybe GM didn’t want to spend the money required to develop a new van program due to low volume projections.

I would not touch a Dodge van. Ever. They have never focused heavily on commercial vans at either the OEM or dealer levels and it shows. The re-badged Fiats are not cutting it, either.

Old 03-10-2019, 05:29 PM

25,569 posts, read 17,275,200 times
I wouldn't use a van at all.
I'd go with an Isuzu or Fuso box truck. They are used all over the planet and their small 160 HP diesel engine is all you will ever need.

Old 03-10-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
They still sell lots of these (about 85K last year) because they are simple and proven designs with V8 engines.
The bugs were worked out of them years ago.

Ford is out of that business, so it's Chevy or GMC.
I appreciate that. What's the difference between a Chevy Express and a GMC Savana? Is one better than the other for reliability or MPG? I don't mind going this route but I'd definitely install a hightop.

Old 03-10-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Does it have to be a van? Have you considered the idea of something like a Subaru Outback towing a nice teardrop trailer? That gives some flexibility - unhitch the trailer and you can be driving a fairly maneuverable vehicle that gets decent mileage. And they are quite reliable. Some people even sleep in the back of these wagons but I think that's a little too snug.
Honestly? I don't trust myself when it comes to towing. If I did, it would probably be a tiny house (which is how I learned about van life). But I do want to keep it to one vehicle because I'll be all over the continent. Great (and appreciated) suggestion though!

Old 03-10-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I wouldn't use a van at all.
I'd go with an Isuzu or Fuso box truck. They are used all over the planet and their small 160 HP diesel engine is all you will ever need.
Another great suggestion that, yes, I have considered. They just stand out too much, like a shuttle bus would. I want to draw as little attention as possible, blend in, and mind my own business. And then there's the wind hazard on a taller vehicle like that. Also, I wouldn't be able to drive it through wooded areas.

Finding a mechanic to work on them would also be difficult and expensive, especially since I plan to be mostly rural. Parts tend to be a bit expensive on them when needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive