Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2019, 09:34 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,857,797 times

Advertisements

Although when I do finally buy something I may pull the trigger on a Ford Edge or Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, which are in a different class than either of these, I have been rethinking for the Infinity or Volvo.

I would be interested in any opinions on these from this forum.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 01:44 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,270,277 times
The Volvo is a bit smaller than the QX70, but both have average reliability for the class, around average. The new XC60 with cues from the XC90 in a smaller package is actually more compelling than the model it replaced.

With the Volvo, I would opt for a 2.5 T5 engine, not the early turbo 4 cylinder as the 2.5 was produced for many years and is actually a pretty good engine that I've never had a spontaneous mechanical failure in any of the Volvos with that engine that I own/have owned. I do tend to maintain them very well, and have a Volvo mechanic who's excellent, but the XC60 is comfortable and has a pleasant cabin, though the Mercedes GLC, and it's predecessor the GLK, tends to be a bit more plush. If you found a good deal on the Volvo, that would be a reason to consider it, but reliability with the crossovers has been spotty, not as good as the sedans or the XC70/V70 wagon. The Acura RDX is also a good contender in this size segment, but I'd opt to get a new one as the 2019 re-introduced Acura's SH-AWD system on the RDX that was available in the first generation, and then replaced by the same FWD/AWD setup as the CR-V with the rear wheels only engaging when wheel slip was detected.

The QX70 was the old Infiniti design that was related to the Nissan Murano. The cabin was fine when it debuted, but towards the end of the run in 2017, I do not think that it aged as well as competitors. It's also a relatively fuel inefficient vehicle, as I recall, since the last person I knew with one recently got rid of it for a Mercedes. In the mid-size segment, I think that the Lexus RX, Acura MDX, and Porsche Cayenne tend to offer more compelling reasons over the Infiniti, be it luxury, reliability, handling, or cargo capacity.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-19-2019, 09:13 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,857,797 times
Thanks for the detailed reply

Old 03-19-2019, 09:15 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,323,732 times
The XC60 older than 2018 will rapidly go down in value due to the (much) nicer newer body style. No idea about reliability but it's depreciation will most likely be high.

I'm not sure what your price range is but I've been stalking the 2016/2017 new body style type XC90 and they are getting into the 30's.

Last edited by wheelsup; 03-19-2019 at 09:29 PM..

Old 03-20-2019, 10:58 AM

1,062 posts, read 967,095 times
The previous generation XC60 is cheap and even though it dates back to 2013 it was safe even on the modern crash tests.

https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/ve...-door-suv/2016

It also has a lot of ground clearance compared to other crossovers

Old 03-21-2019, 06:01 AM

1,002 posts, read 902,431 times
For what it's worth, my coworker's XC60 caught on fire and burned to the ground last weekend. This is actually his second Volvo to do that. It wasn't a new car by any stretch (150k miles) but I can't say I'm keep on European reliability.

Old 03-21-2019, 06:09 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,256,850 times
Volvo’s do not keep their value. They pretty much drop like a rock. Personally I wouldn’t choose any of the vehicles you are listing but if I had to I would take the Infiniti. We have one and it’s been relatively reliable. Funny it’s been nowhere near as reliable as the Kia SUV we bought at 1/2 the price. That thing was rock solid in 12 years of ownership. With the exception of a few wear items and a few recalls it’s been pretty reliable. One big thing that broke was the cruise control sensor that controls the smart cruise. That would cost about $2500 to replace. I’m not gonna spend the money on it. Car is way too old for that.and it likes to kill batteries cause every two years I’m replacing it but it’s usually under warranty. I switched to a AGM battery so we will see how long that lasts. But other than that issue it’s been pretty reliable.

Old 03-28-2019, 12:59 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,957,806 times
CX5 Grand Touring Reserve or Signature and save $10K over the Volvo while getting a better product.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive