Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 12:12 PM

49 posts, read 43,953 times

Advertisements

My tire budget is limited. What is better: install new Michelin tires without alignment, or install new Cosmo tires (Chinese brand) with alignment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 12:27 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,317,520 times
How's the current wear on your tires? Is there uneven wear that makes you think you need an alignment? Are you pulling to one side? If tire wear is even and there are no other current issues, you may not NEED an alignment. In the last 40 years o f dealing with cars, owning over 100 of them and working on hundreds more (and on the recommendation of a good friend who worked at a race alignment shop), an alignment when only changing tires is often money wasted, as changing the tires doesn't touch any of the suspension. You only need an alignment of the tires are wearing wrong or the car is exhibiting some sort of pull or other weird effect of suspension.

Basically, what the point is, is get the good tires and leave the alignment alone. Cheap Chinese tires are bad juju even with a good alignment. And getting it "aligned" when nothing is wrong can introduce new issues.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:38 PM

There is uneven wear and when I turn right, my tire is making noise.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:49 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,317,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiparis View Post

Then you definitely need an alignment, as it sounds like the toe is off. Maybe do a halfway solution, get something like Sumitomo (a name brand, but less expensive than Michelins) or Cooper and get the alignment. I'd stay away from the cheap Chinese brands.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:52 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,981,682 times
Quote:
My tire budget is limited. What is better: install new Michelin tires without alignment, or install new Cosmo tires (Chinese brand) with alignment?
Both.

Get quality tires. Made in USA tires are best but others may scream and holler about this. Get an alignment. Shop around for a 4 wheel alignment. On sale here for $59.00. Prices vary. You don't have to get the alignment at the same shop that sells you the tires.

With any alignment the suspension has to be in proper operational condition.

If the car is a junk box then get any cheap tires.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:55 PM

I can see with my eyes the uneven wear so I'll do the alignment.
But in the future, because I have a tread depth gauge, before buying new tires, do you know at what tread depth difference between the right and left tire I should do alignment? Or is it only with the eyes?

Old 03-19-2019, 12:56 PM

I have a Honda Civic Hybrid 2008 that I'll sell in September, so I'll buy the Cosmo tires. I just need to drive safely in the rain before that.

Old 03-19-2019, 01:00 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
I'll buy the Cosmo tires. I just need to drive safely in the rain before that.
Then I would buy the better brand tires.

Tires are one of those things where you get what you pay for

Old 03-19-2019, 01:07 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Michelin WITH alignment long term.

If you don’t align the vehicle neither brand will last and you just wasted money

Quote:
What kind of noise?

Quote:
I have a Honda Civic Hybrid 2008 that I'll sell in September, so I'll buy the Cosmo tires. I just need to drive safely in the rain before that.
Just saw this
If you’re selling it in six months then just buy the cheapest tire you can get

Old 03-19-2019, 01:07 PM

OK, thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive