Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2019, 08:58 PM

12,968 posts, read 9,651,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliefNorth View Post
You type of people act like you American patriot when you drive American car but you American car built in Mexico not even America. Japanese car built and assemble in America! Japanese car true American car
Patriotism and what I drive have nothing to do with each other in my book. I'm into muscle cars, and only the Americans are building muscles cars. If Japan or Europe was building them, and they were better than the American makes, I would be driving a muscle car from Japan or Europe. I know where these cars are built, I get that, but they are still Americans companies designed by Americans. I never put all that much into where a car is built, we live in a different world now, a global market place. And the car speaks for itself, I don't have to act like anything. People who drive expensive European and Japanese cars act like they own the road, and look down on you because you driving an American car, especially a Dodge. I also had three Japanese brand cars, Nissan Titan, Honda Accord, and a Mitsubishi. People can drive what they like, I don't get upset over what people spend their own money on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 09:33 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
There are thousands of Toyota trucks and domestics in the southwest that have no frame rust. Feel free to look up domestic truck frames rusting videos on YouTube. There are plenty of them. I’m not gonna bother linking them. All from back east, Midwest northwest etc.
Of course trucks (or cars) from the SW don't have rusting issues-there is no snow to speak of and hence no salt or other corrosive deicer used on the roads. Heck, much of the SW barely gets rain! Thing is-while Toyota frames were literally rusting in two in the 2000s-the domestic manufacturers had pretty much figured out basic rust proofing 25 years before. Similar to Toyota's 4-Runner-with brakes that failed prematurely and rotors that warped in 10,000 miles. Assuming you still needed to stop and hadn't had the head gaskets fail...

Old 03-26-2019, 10:30 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,519,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Of course trucks (or cars) from the SW don't have rusting issues-there is no snow to speak of and hence no salt or other corrosive deicer used on the roads. Heck, much of the SW barely gets rain! Thing is-while Toyota frames were literally rusting in two in the 2000s-the domestic manufacturers had pretty much figured out basic rust proofing 25 years before. Similar to Toyota's 4-Runner-with brakes that failed prematurely and rotors that warped in 10,000 miles. Assuming you still needed to stop and hadn't had the head gaskets fail...
Really...... they figured out basic rust proofing? Show me anything back in the rust belt that’s over 15 years old, daily driver that isn’t a rust victim. No garage queens need apply.

From what I see and know it doesn’t matter who makes it if you live in the rust belt it’s gonna rot away. There are hundreds if not thousands of videos on YouTube all showing rotted out domestic trucks and domestic cars that are falling apart from rust. And not all are old ancient vehicles. I saw videos of 2010 and up trucks that had gaping rust holes on you tube. That’s pathetic. There was a guy working on a 2010 F150 and the rust was through the frame. Big gaping rotting holes.
Stop making it sound like Toyota’s are the only ones with rust issues. If you’re in a area with salt on the roads it’s gonna rust. Regardless of the manufacturer. Rustvproofing is a joke. There is no such thing as rust proof. Yes there are things that slow the process.

If you gotta drive a big three product be my guest. It’s your money

Old 03-26-2019, 10:35 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,519,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
You just sound like one of those people who've had bad luck. ....
I don’t see how it’s bad luck with different vehicles different years different brands. Ok one vehicle I’ll give you that. I can see that sometimes you can get a lemon. But not multiple cats different brands and different years. All the cars with one ecpxception was bought brand new. I am religious on maintenance. In fact a little too much. For example my truck fuel pump was acting funny. I ordered two. One for each truck. Replaced them both. Why? Because I dint need to possibly break down. I figure if one is going out there is a good chance the other will be too. Now the pump may be ok but 180,000 miles......and $80 and 1/2 hour of my time. Not a big deal.

Btw one of my coworkers just took his Equinnox back on a lemon law. Truck is 1 year old. The AC crapped out 5 times

Old 03-27-2019, 01:11 AM

6,545 posts, read 7,127,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I don’t see how it’s bad luck with different vehicles different years different brands. Ok one vehicle I’ll give you that. I can see that sometimes you can get a lemon. But not multiple cats different brands and different years. All the cars with one ecpxception was bought brand new. I am religious on maintenance. In fact a little too much. For example my truck fuel pump was acting funny. I ordered two. One for each truck. Replaced them both. Why? Because I dint need to possibly break down. I figure if one is going out there is a good chance the other will be too. Now the pump may be ok but 180,000 miles......and $80 and 1/2 hour of my time. Not a big deal.

Btw one of my coworkers just took his Equinnox back on a lemon law. Truck is 1 year old. The AC crapped out 5 times
My buddy with a new GMC express van which failed him in northern Canada with emission problems when cold on a diesel. His AC went out in Arizona last week at 50k miles. Had to quit his job and go back to TX so his dog wouldn’t die idling in AZ sunshine. What a winner he bought, he can’t rip into too much because he’s trying to sell because of GM’s f ups. Been a GM buyer for life, said he’ll NEVER buy another and rip into them any chance he gets on social media.

Old 03-27-2019, 06:55 AM

4,624 posts, read 4,892,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
Kind of helps that Korean automakers can freely sell cars in Korea and the US, while the US automakers can basically only sell in the US, don't you think?

And before you say "well American cars are crap and nobody wants to buy them in Korea," please note that here is what Toyota and Honda's market share in Korea was in 2018:

Toyota = 0.9%
Honda = 0.4%

So Toyota and Honda can't sell them, either. hhhhmmmmm......

FWIW, Hyundai/Kia market share in Korea is 70%.
#1 - the reason Hyundai makes great cars now is because the Won is in the toilet. They can make a great, expensive car, pay engineers well, and sell it cheap in the US cause of exchange rates.

The #3 car seller in Korea - after Hyundai and Kia - is the remains of Daewoo, aka GM Korea. Daewoo went bankrupt in 11 and rebranded as GM. They sell 650k, 525k, and 170k cars respectively.
(Renault is #4 @ 110k, Ssangyang is 5th @ 100k).
[Hyundai, Kia, GM Korea, and Ssangyang all export more Korean-made cars than they sell at home]
{Hyundai makes twices as many cars OUTSIDE Korea than within}

Old 03-27-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
#1 - the reason Hyundai makes great cars now is because the Won is in the toilet. They can make a great, expensive car, pay engineers well, and sell it cheap in the US cause of exchange rates.

The #3 car seller in Korea - after Hyundai and Kia - is the remains of Daewoo, aka GM Korea. Daewoo went bankrupt in 11 and rebranded as GM. They sell 650k, 525k, and 170k cars respectively.
[Hyundai, Kia, GM Korea, and Ssangyang all export more Korean-made cars than they sell at home]
I wouldn't say great cars, good but not great in my opinion. The word great shouldn't be taken so lightly, and should be reserved for cars that are truly great cars. I believe that list would be pretty short, and I doubt anything from Korea would make that short list. Not hating on Korean cars, they have come a long ways, especially Hyundai, and Kia. I'm a big fan of the Genesis, and I had my battles with them in the 2012 Chrysler 300 SRT8 that I used to own.

Old 03-27-2019, 08:58 AM

2,258 posts, read 1,136,878 times
I dont understand how people have all these problems. It has to be driving habits.

I had a brand new 2011 Charger R/T for 6 years.

Only problems I had were a keyless entry door handle recall, and an engine mount. Covered under warranty, fixed quickly. At 125K miles I heard a knock with the suspension and decided to trade it in since the 100k warranty was up and I didnt want to pay for the repair.

I bought a new Charger last month, and I plan on keeping this car at least 10 years. I will get a lifetime warranty before it accumulates too many miles. We shall see how Dodge does. So far so good.

BTW I think American brands only compete with Japanese cars in style. But who knows how long these new cars will last. Id be the first to guess that American brands dont worry about how the car behaves after 4 years, since the goal is to sell new cars.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:05 AM

2,660 posts, read 1,555,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post

I disagree they make great cars now - compared to 10-20 years ago yes they are great, but compared to other current cars they are among the worst. Also, Hyundai and Kias are not cheap anymore compared to their competition. It's sad that Chevy and Ford are getting out of making cars, Korean quality does not deserve to have their car selling future looking so good.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
I dont understand how people have all these problems. It has to be driving habits.

I had a brand new 2011 Charger R/T for 6 years.

Only problems I had were a keyless entry door handle recall, and an engine mount. Covered under warranty, fixed quickly. At 125K miles I heard a knock with the suspension and decided to trade it in since the 100k warranty was up and I didnt want to pay for the repair.

I bought a new Charger last month, and I plan on keeping this car at least 10 years. I will get a lifetime warranty before it accumulates too many miles. We shall see how Dodge does. So far so good.

BTW I think American brands only compete with Japanese cars in style. But who knows how long these new cars will last. Id be the first to guess that American brands dont worry about how the car behaves after 4 years, since the goal is to sell new cars.
I believe in SOME cases the problems are a bit exaggerated. You just have folks out there who absolutely hate American made cars, so every issues will be blown way out into the bleachers. I agree the American cars, have some work to do to catch up with the Japanese, no question about that. But so many are still holding on to bad experiences, and stories they heard about or what was told to them. Not everybody all have or share these bad experiences with American made cars. There are videos on YouTube about the problems with the 2018 Toyota Camry, and the recall on some of them. But you don't hear people talking about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive