Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 06:49 AM

680 posts, read 534,783 times

Advertisements

Have you guys actually driven a new Honda or are comparing it to 10+years ago? Remember fast and furious had muscle cars in it too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 07:01 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,689,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
Not among OLD car guys, that's for sure! It' kinda like claiming flip-flops and Crocs are good formal shoes!
I fixed it for you. I’d buy a Honda product a hundred times before I bought a Fiat.

Old 04-14-2019, 07:22 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,094,398 times
Fit>Yaris
Civic manual>Corolla manual
Corolla auto>Civic auto
Camry>Accord
Rav4>CRV
Highlander>Pilot
Tacoma>Ridgeline
Toyota hybrid>Honda hybrid

Old 04-14-2019, 07:59 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_MI View Post
Have you guys actually driven a new Honda or are comparing it to 10+years ago? Remember fast and furious had muscle cars in it too.
I've driven new ones. They're cars.
I've driven the Acuras too. They're fine when compared to near luxury cars.

Old 04-14-2019, 12:17 PM

243 posts, read 268,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I would enjoy it a hell of a lot more than any Honda.

The laugh will be on you.
People actually care about these cars and want to own them.
Lame throwaway appliance cars... not so much.
No it won’t.

When gas prices hike back up to $6/gallon you would be surprised to see how many people ditching those beasts and going back to driving 10+ year old I-4 imports

Old 04-14-2019, 01:10 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliefNorth View Post
No it won’t.

When gas prices hike back up to $6/gallon you would be surprised to see how many people ditching those beasts and going back to driving 10+ year old I-4 imports
You seem to forget that when these cars came out, gas was not cheap and there was a big recession.
The scenario that you claim will end muscle cars already occurred once before. They sold anyway.
Some people may ditch them, but they'll just be bought and enjoyed by someone else.

People that argue about things happening differently when they have already happened in the past...
Reminds me of the guy that bet me 5 bucks that the Bengals had never played in the Super Bowl. Talk about EZ money...

Old 04-14-2019, 02:44 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,119,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
You seem to forget that when these cars came out, gas was not cheap and there was a big recession.
The scenario that you claim will end muscle cars already occurred once before. They sold anyway.
Some people may ditch them, but they'll just be bought and enjoyed by someone else.
Exactly! The current crop of muscle cars were gaining popularity in 2007-8....It's only the kids that can't afford them to begin with that will dump them if gas goes up. Gas will only go up again if we get some green weenie in office that starts killing our oil production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_MI View Post
Well, they had to spice the series up somehow! Brightly colored vacuum cleaners can only hold your attention for so long.

Funny thing about that statement you made...wasn't the main character's admission that the Charger scared the hell out of him evidence enough that even he thought the Hoovers were just toys and the muscle cars were for the big boys?

Old 04-14-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Refugee View Post
Toyotas are better cars all around. Hondas are for girls.

Honda's are basically fuel sipping vehicles for yuppies now. Toyota has pretty much closed the gap on fuel efficiency though so it's down to whether you want a Civic or a Camry. The civic is large enough these days where I don't see the need for a Camry unless you need a v6. Newer Toyotas come with their own over-complexity that weren't present in older Toyota's, dual direct and port injection, it solves the carbon build up issues but you're still going to need to replace expensive injectors or high pressure fuel pump.

Honda, if they stuck with real automatics, and left the v6 in the Accord, would still be compelling vehicles to own over the Toyotas. A honda motor without a turbo will last as long as a Toyota's and require less attention than modern Toyota motors, but I don't think the turbos will last as long.

Old 04-14-2019, 11:03 PM

243 posts, read 268,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
Honda's are basically fuel sipping vehicles for yuppies now. Toyota has pretty much closed the gap on fuel efficiency though so it's down to whether you want a Civic or a Camry. The civic is large enough these days where I don't see the need for a Camry unless you need a v6. Newer Toyotas come with their own over-complexity that weren't present in older Toyota's, dual direct and port injection, it solves the carbon build up issues but you're still going to need to replace expensive injectors or high pressure fuel pump.

Honda, if they stuck with real automatics, and left the v6 in the Accord, would still be compelling vehicles to own over the Toyotas. A honda motor without a turbo will last as long as a Toyota's and require less attention than modern Toyota motors, but I don't think the turbos will last as long.
I agree with most of what you said. Those new turbo engines are definetly not going to last as long as a naturally aspirated engine. That’s actually the main reason why I will refuse to buy any new (2018 +) Honda.

A ton of Honda fans boys will argue with you all day long saying how the turbos are just as reliable as the 4 cylinder and V6 engines..At the end of the day we all know about the reliability behind turbocharged engines. They just aren’t built to last.

A well maintained 90s model Accord or Civic with low miles would probably outlive a 2019 model Accord or Civic.

When in comes to the CVT, they are built in house by Honda so they are probably just as reliable as an automatic but I would still prefer an automatic over a CVT any day.

I have come to the conclusion that older Honda’s and Toyota’s from the 1990s were much simpler and more reliable vehicles compared with today’s models.

Old 04-15-2019, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliefNorth View Post
I agree with most of what you said. Those new turbo engines are definetly not going to last as long as a naturally aspirated engine. That’s actually the main reason why I will refuse to buy any new (2018 +) Honda.

A ton of Honda fans boys will argue with you all day long saying how the turbos are just as reliable as the 4 cylinder and V6 engines..At the end of the day we all know about the reliability behind turbocharged engines. They just aren’t built to last.

A well maintained 90s model Accord or Civic with low miles would probably outlive a 2019 model Accord or Civic.

When in comes to the CVT, they are built in house by Honda so they are probably just as reliable as an automatic but I would still prefer an automatic over a CVT any day.

I have come to the conclusion that older Honda’s and Toyota’s from the 1990s were much simpler and more reliable vehicles compared with today’s models.

Civic sedan LX has a 2 liter that's as simple as the older Hondas. No gdi or turbo but it still has a cvt, but at least there's still a manual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive