Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 02:14 PM

30,703 posts, read 79,429,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
I drove a Forester that actually had something in all of them.
But the vast majority of them have blanks.
We have a 1998 Volvo XC for a while. It was all tricked out with everything imaginable. It had so many buttons, one person said it looked like a button monster vomited in the cockpit on his way home for the bar. Heaters for everything imaginable, headlight wipers and squirters, probably 40 - 50 buttons. Still there were blanks. What could they possibly be for? As far as I could tell this car had every option offered or even conceived of in the history of cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 02:26 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,420,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I want a toaster that can reliably make good toast. And I want a car that can comfortably and reliably get me from Point A to Point B. If I want a thrill ride, I'll go to an amusement park.
I know, right? These folks kill me. As if it's a crime to want a regular car to drive to regular places. A trip to the Piggly Wiggly doesn't have to be exciting.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:32 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,262,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
A trip to the Piggly Wiggly doesn't have to be exciting.

Doesn't need to be soul crushingly boring, either.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:52 PM

574 posts, read 378,639 times
I'd take the Toyota, as Honda hasn't been as good in the last several years. HOWEVER, you can't go wrong for the most part with either brand at this point.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Doesn't need to be soul crushingly boring, either.
How is it soul crushing boring? You're going from one street light to another? You need to burn rubber for 50 yards?

Old 03-26-2019, 03:07 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,262,118 times
Quote:
How is it soul crushing boring? You're going from one street light to another? You need to burn rubber for 50 yards?

I drive more than just to the store, so my car has to drive on twisty backroads and interstate onramps as well as the 50 yards to the next light. So yes, driving a numbingly boring car is something I don't want to do much of, any more than I want to spend time with a boring person. My daily driver has to have a modicum of fun for those other times.

See the thing is, a boring car can't do the exciting bits, too, but an exciting car CAN do the boring bits, too. So why not get the one that can do BOTH and not limit yourself to be bored forever?

I do this sort of thing on a regular basis with my cars:

Tail of the Dragon. 318 curves in 11 miles, and it's only one of many roads like that that I can get to with a day trip or less.

Old 03-26-2019, 03:40 PM

243 posts, read 264,470 times
Quote:
Funny, but I've seen that in German and American cars, too. But yeah, here's an '18 Accord, check to the left of the steering wheel at the blanks on that little panel:

Accord interior is missing shift lever for gear box?

Old 03-26-2019, 03:52 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,086,292 times
Honda Civic>Toyota Corolla
Toyota Camry>Honda Accord
For everything else, Subaru is going to have the better resale.

Old 03-26-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
I drive more than just to the store, so my car has to drive on twisty backroads and interstate onramps as well as the 50 yards to the next light. So yes, driving a numbingly boring car is something I don't want to do much of, any more than I want to spend time with a boring person. My daily driver has to have a modicum of fun for those other times.

See the thing is, a boring car can't do the exciting bits, too, but an exciting car CAN do the boring bits, too. So why not get the one that can do BOTH and not limit yourself to be bored forever?

I do this sort of thing on a regular basis with my cars:

Tail of the Dragon. 318 curves in 11 miles, and it's only one of many roads like that that I can get to with a day trip or less.
Yeah, that's your lifestyle. Some of us just need to get to work, pick the kids up from school, go to church, etc. No twisty backroads.

Your cars works for your life. An Accord or Camry works for other lifestyles. No need to lob insults.

Old 03-26-2019, 04:55 PM

12,011 posts, read 9,083,384 times
Quote:
Yeah, that's your lifestyle. Some of us just need to get to work, pick the kids up from school, go to church, etc. No twisty backroads.

Your cars works for your life. An Accord or Camry works for other lifestyles. No need to lob insults.
There is also the point that an Accord or Camry can be responsibly bought by an average middle class family, unlike most of the vehicles touted by braggarts. I have no issue whatsoever with someone who is driving an $80,000 car, but when you start acting like you're better because of your vehicle and putting people down who can't afford that, that's where I think you cross over into DB territory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive