Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 07:41 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,623,242 times

Advertisements

When cars were first developed their bodies followed traditional horse drawn carriage designs. As technology changed so did the body design. Today’s cars are designed with front engine/rear trunk design. With the developing electric vehicles how do you think car bodies could or should change? Problem with body designs is they must also meet crash safety regulations as well as pedestrian safety regulations. Would they function better with the motor in the rear driving the rear wheels and cargo in the front? Is it possible for each wheel to have its own electric motor with the battery evenly distributed across the undercarriage and each wheel motor controlled by a single ECU?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 07:45 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,316,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
When cars were first developed their bodies followed traditional horse drawn carriage designs. As technology changed so did the body design. Today’s cars are designed with front engine/rear trunk design. With the developing electric vehicles how do you think car bodies could or should change? Problem with body designs is they must also meet crash safety regulations as well as pedestrian safety regulations. Would they function better with the motor in the rear driving the rear wheels and cargo in the front? Is it possible for each wheel to have its own electric motor with the battery evenly distributed across the undercarriage and each wheel motor controlled by a single ECU?

Modern underfloor/skateboard battery locations allow for a very wide range of bodystyles, none of which have to look conventional, with the only requirements being packaging people and cargo based on the role of the vehicle.

RWD Teslas have the motor in the rear and a front trunk already, and AWD ones have motors at each end with separate controllers. So yes, your concept of a motor for each wheel is not only possible but being developed by many manufacturers.

Old 03-27-2019, 01:12 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Doubt they would change much. Pedestrian safety is what made cars have low front ends sloped hoods and pretty much made pop up lights a thing of the past.
A rear engine would make the vehicle lose a lot of cargo area because you need the sloped hood. I think this is pretty much the way you’ll see cars. They may be more or less sliced egg shaped but other than that I don5 see huge changes. Motors may become smaller and placed at each wheel for a AWD type drivetrain and the battery may be on the bottom of the car so you pull up to a “gas” station you drive on a platform the battery gets unhooked and a new one clamped in its place and away you go

Old 03-27-2019, 01:36 PM

13,640 posts, read 9,696,571 times
Just daydreaming here, but I'd love to see "passenger" cars resembling a Formula-1 race car: single seat, very low hip-point, four open wheels/tires, two engines center-mounted at the rear (behind the driver), each driving its respective wheel.

Basically what I want is a superbike, but I'm too paranoid about potential injuries to ride one. It's not outright death that worries me, but a spinal injury or head-injury that leaves me drooling and slumped in a wheelchair for 30 years. So, a four-wheel "car" would be the ideal solution. The last thing that I need is a passenger-seat or cargo-space.

Old 03-27-2019, 01:43 PM

7,769 posts, read 6,375,189 times
The 1964 VW convertible that I owned years ago had engine in rear, trunk in front.

The station wagon that my wife had at that time was much, much better for hauling people and cargo.

Old 03-27-2019, 02:00 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,430,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Just daydreaming here, but I'd love to see "passenger" cars resembling a Formula-1 race car: single seat, very low hip-point, four open wheels/tires, two engines center-mounted at the rear (behind the driver), each driving its respective wheel.

Basically what I want is a superbike, but I'm too paranoid about potential injuries to ride one. It's not outright death that worries me, but a spinal injury or head-injury that leaves me drooling and slumped in a wheelchair for 30 years. So, a four-wheel "car" would be the ideal solution. The last thing that I need is a passenger-seat or cargo-space.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_1-litre_car

https://youtu.be/n4sTW_tg7CE

Old 03-27-2019, 02:11 PM

1,002 posts, read 916,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post

https://www.arielna.com/arielatom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbsYPXAJhxU&t=166s

Old 03-27-2019, 03:36 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,316,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
A rear engine would make the vehicle lose a lot of cargo area because you need the sloped hood.

Look at the dual motor Teslas with a motor in the rear and still plenty of cargo room in the front and rear.

This is a Model S with the rear seats still upright (they fold flat) and an electric motor in the rear.:

And the Model 3's trunk with a rear motor:

and the Model S chassis with front and rear motors:

With no need for a radiator in front, any sort of body can go on this sort of chassis, depending on how you want to package, people, cargo, etc. Everything from a van to a low slung sports car.

Old 03-27-2019, 03:40 PM

13,640 posts, read 9,696,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
That's not the direction in which my tastes were going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
Better. But I was thinking more along these lines:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zBFeAPSpbM

Old 03-27-2019, 07:23 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Look at the dual motor Teslas with a motor in the rear and still plenty of cargo room in the front and rear.

This is a Model S with the rear seats still upright (they fold flat) and an electric motor in the rear.:

And the Model 3's trunk with a rear motor:

and the Model S chassis with front and rear motors:

With no need for a radiator in front, any sort of body can go on this sort of chassis, depending on how you want to package, people, cargo, etc. Everything from a van to a low slung sports car.

Yeah I see your point. I always thought the model 3 has a high roof line. I guess that and a hatchback design for the trunk opening is how they get the cargo space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive