Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 12:55 PM

108 posts, read 120,507 times

Advertisements

I am pleasantly surprised by the comments here. I clicked here expecting to see justifications for this ****. But you people get it. I'm glad I'm not alone. This is not about safety or the environment or the children or whatever they'll say to get it implemented here. It is about reducing our freedom. Maybe this is just a sample bias as people to who tend to like/be interested in cars tend to value freedom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2019, 01:36 PM

290 posts, read 250,152 times
There are other reasons to avoid implementing automatic speed limiters in the US. Oklahoma would be bankrupt in 6 months.

Old 03-30-2019, 01:43 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
If it can be overridden whats the point?
It might be good for people who don't realize that they are speeding.

That would cut down on a lot of speeding tickets - I think a lot of people don't realize they are speeding.

It's been almost a decade since I have had a ticket, but I've never gotten a ticket for intentionally speeding. Usually going 66 or 71 in a 60 and not realizing.

Old 03-30-2019, 01:45 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,834,310 times
Just imagine the head on collision when someone pulls out to pass a slow poke (they usually speed up when being passed) and finds out 1/2 way through they can't.

Last edited by Colorado^; 03-30-2019 at 02:11 PM..

Old 03-30-2019, 01:45 PM

13,654 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GripBro View Post
I am pleasantly surprised by the comments here. I clicked here expecting to see justifications for this ****. But you people get it. I'm glad I'm not alone. This is not about safety or the environment or the children or whatever they'll say to get it implemented here. It is about reducing our freedom. Maybe this is just a sample bias as people to who tend to like/be interested in cars tend to value freedom.
I too am pleasantly surprised. I expected broad condemnation of boy-racers, poseurs, balding middle-aged men compensating for creeping bodily iniquity, unruly teenagers and crass greenhorn Millennials (might as well blame them for this, too)... all in the name of "safety".

The EU has many fine ideas. This isn't one of them. Volvo's "innovation" of limiting the top-speed of its cars to 118 mph is just a marketing stunt. Perhaps the EU is doing the same. One hopes! To reach 118 mph in a quarter-mile drag race would be difficult for even a snarling V8, let alone a Volvo. To exceed a posted 25 mph speed-limit in a residential subdivision is possible by an overweight asthmatic on a mountain-bike.

It is quite possible that such policy would result in sufficient backlash, that the cause of regulation would see more undoing, than advancement. One hopes.

Old 03-30-2019, 01:46 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GripBro View Post
No. I hate speeders and their callous behavior towards the safety of others.
People keep talking about freedom. People talk about the price of freedom.
The price of YOUR freedom should not be paid by the lives and injuries of other innocent people.
The price should be RESPONSIBILITY. You get to be free because you're willing to be responsible.
Speeding kills. It maims. It costs a lot of lives and money.
Responsible drivers consider the safety of others first and then have the freedom to choose.

People want freedom but no one wants responsibility. So then you get these ridiculous nanny state things.

Old 03-30-2019, 01:56 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,834,310 times
Speed limits are way too low. Cars have improved, but speed limits haven't changed much (except a few places on the interstate).

However it takes more focus and skill to drive faster and still be safe. Something most people can't handle because they are busy eating/drinking/texting etc. Then again, those people shouldn't have a license anyway.

Old 03-30-2019, 02:11 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,740,223 times
My car beeps at me if I disconnect the seat belt 50 feet before reaching the garage door.

Something similar could be implemented. But when the 76 Tacoma wants to run me down in a road rage I want to be able to floor it and get away from the guy high on meth.

Old 03-30-2019, 02:58 PM

108 posts, read 120,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
No. I hate speeders and their callous behavior towards the safety of others.
People keep talking about freedom. People talk about the price of freedom.
The price of YOUR freedom should not be paid by the lives and injuries of other innocent people.
The price should be RESPONSIBILITY. You get to be free because you're willing to be responsible.
Speeding kills. It maims. It costs a lot of lives and money.
Responsible drivers consider the safety of others first and then have the freedom to choose.

People want freedom but no one wants responsibility. So then you get these ridiculous nanny state things.
Ah there we go. The dreaded "speeder".

My freedom has killed or injured no one.

If we all just drove a little slower, imagine how much more SAFE things would be?

Heck, imagine if we all stopped driving? Then things would be really SAFE. Haha... , Oh wait, that's the goal.

I think reckless is a better term, one we could agree on.

The morons recklessly staring at their phone while driving have a much higher cost on society, and cause more deaths, than those driving faster than the numbers on the sign. Speeding can be reckless but it is not inherently reckless to speed.

Old 03-30-2019, 03:03 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,562,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
That idea makes too much sense!
thank you.

The problem is guarding against things that could kill you, and things that are likely to kill you.

While the little old lady who always drives slowly could have a heart attack and crash into you, the biggest problem is the guy who drives drunk over 700 times before he gets caught in a DUI. Collection and dissemination of data is often just as potent as overrides that remove control from the driver and a computer makes decisions.

If a driver behaves erratically over a period of time, he could automatically be required to only drive on roads with 35mph speed limits or less. That way he is punished but can still drive to work until he improves his driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive