Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 02:36 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,946,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Well, I think cars have gotten totally out of control. Do you have any idea what an enormous waste of water, energy, materials etc. the production of a modern car means? Not to mention consumption when driven...

I like places that try to limit the use of cars, like Singapore where there is only 1 car per 10 citizens. In the US it's more than 8 per 10 citizens.

A government has the duty to steer things in what it considers the right direction. Problems don't solve themselves by everyone doing what they want.
Singapore has 1 car per 10 citizens out of necessity. Coincidently it’s also one of the most expensive places in the world to live.

The “right direction” is completely subjective. In a democracy the “right direction” should be whatever a majority wants, even if it’s at the expense of 49% of the remaining population. What is considered the right direction can change every election cycle.

Unfortunately Pandora’s box has already been opened. One hundred years ago speeding wasn’t easy because the roads were so bad your car would get destroyed the faster you went. Cars and highways advanced quicker than regulations and safety technology and now it’s considered a right to speed. It’s much harder to undo a century of that perceived freedom as it would have been if it were tightly regulated the entire time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 03:06 AM

349 posts, read 260,530 times
I am reminded of a song, by Rush, 1981..... 'Red Barchetta.'

My uncle has a country place, that no-one knows about
He says it used to be a farm, before the Motor Law.......

A brilliant red Barchetta, from a better, vanished time
Fire up the willing engine, responding with a roar!

Old 04-01-2019, 11:49 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Baustian View Post
Should the EU govern/command/direct/reign over every aspect of the lives of everyone in EU-member countries? Does anyone have the authority to overrule the EU bureaucracy? Has it ever happened?

It seems to me that the EU is not very popular? Does it care?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Singapore has 1 car per 10 citizens out of necessity. Coincidently it’s also one of the most expensive places in the world to live.

The “right direction” is completely subjective. In a democracy the “right direction” should be whatever a majority wants, even if it’s at the expense of 49% of the remaining population. What is considered the right direction can change every election cycle.

Unfortunately Pandora’s box has already been opened. One hundred years ago speeding wasn’t easy because the roads were so bad your car would get destroyed the faster you went. Cars and highways advanced quicker than regulations and safety technology and now it’s considered a right to speed. It’s much harder to undo a century of that perceived freedom as it would have been if it were tightly regulated the entire time.
I don't care what people do within their own homes, but as soon as they are interacting with society, which is definitely the case when driving, government has the right to rule based on thorough studies of the matter, regardless of political orientation or 50+% in elections. Government is not the bi*ch of the majority of the population, let alone fringe groups or lobbying groups

Singapore is expensive because it is small, i.e. land is expensive, both for buildings and agriculture.

Old 04-01-2019, 04:42 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,248,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I don't care what people do within their own homes, but as soon as they are interacting with society, which is definitely the case when driving, government has the right to rule based on thorough studies of the matter, regardless of political orientation or 50+% in elections.
Some of us believe that the individual is sovereign and that government rules with the consent of the governed. You seem to think that government need not be constrained and that individuals do not matter.

Old 04-02-2019, 03:32 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Baustian View Post
Some of us believe that the individual is sovereign and that government rules with the consent of the governed. You seem to think that government need not be constrained and that individuals do not matter.
Well, I think society is more important than individuals.
Every individual is already bound to and limited by countless laws and rules, it never was any different. The question is merely where to draw the line. I do get the impression that people in the West have too much freedom and liberty, which boosts egoism, greed, destruction etc.

In the case of cars, I think there are simply way too many of them and the way many people think of them is off.

Government is constrained by the constitution and the checks and balances.

Yes, government rules with the consent of the governed, but it doesn't have to do what the governed want. The governed merely give the government the permission to rule the way it thinks makes sense. Government is not the executive branch of the governed, it doesn't get orders from the governed.

Sometimes it's necessary to protect humans from themselves.

Last edited by Neuling; 04-02-2019 at 03:50 PM..

Old 04-02-2019, 03:59 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,419,493 times
Hey this is Europe has nothing to do with us so why the debate.

Old 04-04-2019, 07:06 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,334,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
How do you like this idea?

https://www.businessinsider.com/eu-f...er-2022-2019-3

The EU has approved draft legislation requiring every new car built after 2022 to include software which slows drivers down when they speed.

"Intelligent Speed Assistance" software uses a combination of GPS, sign recognition cameras, and maps to work out if a vehicle is going too fast.

It will then automatically slow the car, but can be overridden by drivers.

EU legislators agreed the proposal in principle on Monday evening, but further votes are required before it can become law.

The European Union has provisionally agreed to force every car built from 2022 to include software which slows drives down if they break the speed limit.

Every car, van, truck and bus should be fitted with a feature called "Intelligent Speed Assistance" designed to slow them down if they go too fast, EU leaders agreed on Monday.

The software uses a combination of GPS, sign recognition cameras, and advanced map software to pinpoint a vehicle's location, local speed limit. If the vehicle is going too fast, it will then automatically slow it down.

I don't like this. The EU wants to reduce casualties in traffic to zero. While this is a reasonable goal it will reduce much fun of driving cars, maybe the first step towards robot cars. But I will drive a used car as long as any possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
We are well on the way down that slippery slope already.

Ultimate goal would be to prohibit car owners from going anywhere that is not expressly logged into the data, passed permitting process, and then adhered to. That is, any deviation from The Agenda would send alerts to Those That Rule that the owner is being subversive.

Kiss goodbye to spontaneity, freedom of the road, having a little bit of privacy, and—coming soon—“driving” anywhere without transporting passengers. Solo “driving” not allowed!

It would be as bad as flying on a commercial plane.
What scares me the most is, that a majority seems to support it. I hope for a political change within the EU, the political right is on the rise and might put an end to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
So, that 1985 Camaro will have a higher top speed than a 2022 Lamborghini? lol

Does it do anything for acceleration?

A 2022 Lamborghini might be a battery car, so might happen.

Old 04-05-2019, 08:47 PM

133 posts, read 173,748 times
It'll happen in the US eventually.

For some reason, some love the nanny state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive