Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 01:31 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,719,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I clicked on this thread expecting the Brazzers version of "won't take other fluids" with the hot female parts store clerk.
If this were one of the other car forums that I'm on I'd continue this, but I don't want to get in trouble
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 04:09 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,526,078 times
Around here, the garbage company will pick up gallon milk or water jugs filled with old motor oil and labeled as such, put alongside recycling baskets, every two weeks. I'm sure they never test it to see how pure it is.

Old 04-06-2019, 06:08 AM

898 posts, read 591,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
My neighbor takes all my oil to recycle. He said it’s all dumped in one tank. I used to have all these separate containers. Now it all gets dumped in my rolling oil drain container and pumped in buckets.

My local auto store takes various fluids but it’s all dumped in one tank. So I don’t get the crazy rule. But whatever I just mix it all together and take it to the haz-mat drop off if it becomes a problem,

Worse comes to worse take it to your local dump. The have a hazardous waste recycle area. You’ll have to leave it in the container. I used to hit up the painters on jobsutes as they had this of buckets. I just washed out all the paint. Or go buy 5 gallon buckets with lids at the hardware store

I buy most of my oil in the 5qt jugs. My POS GMC Envoy takes 7 so it's a jug plus 2. I NEVER throw out my windshield wash jugs....handiest things to have around for things like waste oil, making funnels, etc.

Old 04-06-2019, 11:45 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,364,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Around here, the garbage company will pick up gallon milk or water jugs filled with old motor oil and labeled as such, put alongside recycling baskets, every two weeks. I'm sure they never test it to see how pure it is.
Around here the garbage company will pick up pretty much anything that you can fit into the trash bin, especially if you can fit it inside of a garbage bag. You didn't hear this from me though.

Old 04-06-2019, 07:05 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,197,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
I buy most of my oil in the 5qt jugs. My POS GMC Envoy takes 7 so it's a jug plus 2. I NEVER throw out my windshield wash jugs....handiest things to have around for things like waste oil, making funnels, etc.
I just carry it in 5 gallon buckets. I don’t like having a bunch of oil containers stacked up everywhere. And I have taken oil back in the cans the new oil came in to have it recycled and they are adamant to take back the containers. It’s too much of a pita. So I just dump it in 5 gallon buckets and take it in that way. It’s a lot of pouring into a drain pan then repour back in the original containers all the while making sure you don’t spill and make a mess. It’s ok if you are good at not making a mess.

Old 04-06-2019, 08:59 PM

6,864 posts, read 11,999,380 times
In my county, W-M will take containers of oil if left next to the garbage can on pick up day. But I don't know if it's thrown in with the garbage or there's a storage compartment on the truck and they empty them at the garbage dump.

Old 04-06-2019, 11:07 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,671,558 times
The odds are when they do not accept mixed fluids, they use the oil for heat, and want only oil for that purpose, or they sell it to someone that does. Used oil is great for use as heating oil and a cheap fuel to keep warm cheap.

Old 04-08-2019, 08:48 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,738,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
My issue is antifreeze. It seems like nobody takes that.
Weeds that.need killin' take it without complaint.

Old 04-08-2019, 10:07 AM

120 posts, read 101,053 times
Emailed the Epa twice asking what should be done with fluids other than oil and they never answered me back. So being a concern citizen in a vary rural area with most being on well water i guess they don't care.

Old 04-11-2019, 10:12 PM

22,564 posts, read 24,353,783 times
Transmission-fluid is a good top-end cleaner and lubricant...........I just gradually ran
2 extra quarts that I had on hand through my beatervan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive