Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 02:24 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,859,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
It's Consumer Reports. Who relies on them anymore?
Maybe you don't but lots of folks due. If they didn't, they would be out of business. In addition, if they did not matter, no one would quote them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 02:42 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,480,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
Maybe you don't but lots of folks due. If they didn't, they would be out of business. In addition, if they did not matter, no one would quote them!
LOL! If they didn't matter no one would quote them? Really? Every time I see someone using CR as a reference I wonder if they really understand what non-biased opinions are.

Old 04-05-2019, 03:06 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,665,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
The engine and transmission are the same ones used in the Camry. The clunk is largely when coming to a ‘rolling stop’ and then hitting the gas again, I experienced it in a 2018 Camry loaner I had once. I believe Toyota will likely have to issue a software update to remedy it.
More and more cars seem to do that. My 2010 Taurus SHO did it horribly. Felt like I was hit when it happened. Ford swore up and down they couldnt duplicate it. My '15 300S (V6) does it too but much softer

Old 04-05-2019, 03:20 PM

6,333 posts, read 4,050,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
LOL! If they didn't matter no one would quote them? Really? Every time I see someone using CR as a reference I wonder if they really understand what non-biased opinions are.
Consumers reports often give high ratings based on bells and whistles and often before the product is old enough to substantiate its reliability.

I bought their highest rated replacement windows and all of the glass seals failed in less than 5 yrs and the manufacturer declared bankruptcy and folded.

I guess CR thought they were good windows.

Old 04-05-2019, 04:52 PM

18,923 posts, read 43,211,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
More and more cars seem to do that. My 2010 Taurus SHO did it horribly. Felt like I was hit when it happened. Ford swore up and down they couldnt duplicate it. My '15 300S (V6) does it too but much softer
Nowadays they keep the converter locked up so much of the time for fuel economy that it really impacts driveability.

Old 04-05-2019, 06:38 PM

7,419 posts, read 7,004,097 times
Yeah, let’s see if Toyota comes out with a fix or will they pull another... our cars don't have a sudden acceleration problem.

Given the previous state of the RAV4, there is no excuse for the various problems of the 2019 Toyota RAV4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post

Old 04-05-2019, 07:05 PM

18,923 posts, read 43,211,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Yeah, let’s see if Toyota comes out with a fix or will they pull another... our cars don't have a sudden acceleration problem.

Given the previous state of the RAV4, there is no excuse for the various problems of the 2019 Toyota RAV4.
LOL. There never was a sudden acceleration problem, the whole thing was a hoax. Funny how those stories died down almost immediately.

https://calwatchdog.com/2014/02/11/t...-automaker-1b/

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...scare-feature/

I can tell you this, I have been a CR subscriber for many years, and their ‘predicted reliability’ rating for the RAV4 is always one of the best in the segment.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:26 PM

1,416 posts, read 1,084,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
Because the Emperor has no clothes.

The May 2019 Motor Trend rates the Toyota Tacoma (not the RAV4, I know) dead last after the Ford Ranger, Honda Ridgeline and the Chevrolet Colorado.

Seems to me the Japanese are happy to sit on their former glory pot and collect revenue due to their reputation.

We always had Sony televisions, but after problems with the last two, no more.

We always had Hondas and Toyotas, but after 2015, no more.
I don't miss them.

I owned a 96 Tacoma which was reliable, but otherwise the worst, most boring vehicle after my 1969 750 cc. Zastava, which was the proud daddy of the Yugo.

Tacoma is essentially the same truck from 2005 except new sheetmetal, engine, interior.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:29 PM

4,658 posts, read 3,815,888 times
I bought a used 2011 Rav4. The 3rd generation (2006-2011) Rav4 is basically responsible for establishing the crossover SUV craze you see today. Look at how many of them you still see on the road today.

I don't know about the newer generations, but for the size ours is nimble, has a nice firm suspension, is quiet & the 4 cylinder is more than enough. I can't believe they even offered a V6 Rav4. No surprise they discontinued the V6 the next generation because the 4 cylinder Rav4 is plenty quick.

Old 04-05-2019, 07:53 PM

7,419 posts, read 7,004,097 times
Yes, the RAV4 was always their top pick, along with the Corolla, Camry, LS500, and other models with an excellent rating in reliability and overall scores.

However, it is not the same with the latest version of each model which are above average or even average in reliability, while competitors are on par or surpassing in reliability and overall score.

Don’t recall in past years Consumer Reports referring to Lexus and Toyota models as “A misfire for a former leader” or “Misses the Mark”.

If Toyota’s are such great vehicles, why isn’t it reflected in the crash tests where the Tundra came in last place, overall sales, and ratings and reviews such as Consumer Reports where for decades, the only model to consider was a Toyota.

Times have changed especially when a Genesis is rated far superior than a Lexus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
LOL. There never was a sudden acceleration problem, the whole thing was a hoax. Funny how those stories died down almost immediately.

https://calwatchdog.com/2014/02/11/t...-automaker-1b/

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...scare-feature/

I can tell you this, I have been a CR subscriber for many years, and their ‘predicted reliability’ rating for the RAV4 is always one of the best in the segment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive