Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 04:12 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,752,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
So Legacy, Forester, Ascent, and Impreza are Australian-sounding? Who knew?

You obviously don’t live in snow & mountain country. Subaru has been a dominant brand in northern New England, the Rockies, and the Pacific Northwest for decades.

The Outback is the only lifted AWD “full size” station wagon on the market. Toyota killed the Venza. The VW Golf wagon is a compact. The Volvo V90 is huge. If you want a car driving position, room for four 6’2” adults, and 6’ cargo area length with the rear seat folded, it’s the only car on the market. With any other manufacturer, you’re in a high roof line crossover with the upright seating position. Personally, I wish Subaru still made the Legacy wagon. I don’t need the 3” lift and faux body cladding and the lifted suspension hurts fuel economy and handling.
I'm pretty sure buick makes one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 11:16 PM

24,468 posts, read 26,003,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
This one? https://www.buick.com/all-vehicles

Tour X, Envision, encore and I think a Preferred that is not shown.

Old 04-15-2019, 02:26 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
To the OP, Audi came over here with a 5000 Quattro 4 door and Hans Stuck and company, in SCCA racing and blow everyone away. SCCA kept penalizing them by adding weight until Audi dropped out.
Before they game over Mercury was the king of the hill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEZq...&feature=share

Old 04-15-2019, 07:20 AM

12,430 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
So Legacy, Forester, Ascent, and Impreza are Australian-sounding? Who knew?

You obviously don’t live in snow & mountain country. Subaru has been a dominant brand in northern New England, the Rockies, and the Pacific Northwest for decades.
I live near the MA/NH border, and when recreating, I often drive up north into NH and ME. It's not like most cars are Subarus, but they certainly are numerous up here, and when you go to parks or ski areas, that goes double. Even though I now own one, I don't think they're the best looking things out there *lol*, but they just make some real practical vehicles - if you care about utility, reliability, safety, they're a fine choice.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I live near the MA/NH border, and when recreating, I often drive up north into NH and ME. It's not like most cars are Subarus, but they certainly are numerous up here, and when you go to parks or ski areas, that goes double. Even though I now own one, I don't think they're the best looking things out there *lol*, but they just make some real practical vehicles - if you care about utility, reliability, safety, they're a fine choice.
Western North Carolina requires you by law to have at least ONE Subaru in your driveway. Which is good because they are EVERYWHERE here.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:24 AM

1,370 posts, read 1,070,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Western North Carolina requires you by law to have at least ONE Subaru in your driveway. Which is good because they are EVERYWHERE here.
We’re on our 2nd Outback. Moved from STL to the Triangle last summer. In STL our Outback was a relatively rare vehicle. Here they’re absolutely everywhere! They are great camping vehicles!

Old 04-15-2019, 09:42 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,081,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
I have it (TourX) and love it, although I could live without the cladding.

The current Outback is too much of a damn CUV these days - exactly why I did not want one. If I needed the height/ground clearance, I would've bought a proper SUV.

Old 04-15-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL2006 View Post
We’re on our 2nd Outback. Moved from STL to the Triangle last summer. In STL our Outback was a relatively rare vehicle. Here they’re absolutely everywhere! They are great camping vehicles!
We take mine OFF ROAD when we go hiking/camping. My wife won’t have anything but a Subaru.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:22 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Here is a little makeshift "case study" I'd like to have some thread participants examine for me:

The problem we face here in the Southeastern US is that while we only get our snow 2-3" at a time, it melts during the afternoons, and re-freezes solid at night.

Despite money being thrown at the problem in the form of added plows and salt trucks (but thank you, from the bottom of my heart) the ice "begins" melting, and is disturbed by passing cars, it mushes up into slush, which cannot be completely siped away with the limited tread depth of your average passenger car tire. Despite the hard ice being melted, the slush still causes a hydroplaning effect and drivers can lose control of their vehicles.

Adding to the above, there are precious few tire shops, if any, that will stud tires. despite NC being only one of 7 (!) states with UNRESTRICTED metal stud use on tires.

What sorts of recommendations for the "Southern, on-road setup" for your daily commuter can you make as far as:

1. Best type of passenger car/CUV tire to avoid this effect, assuming the driver doesn't have a vehicle of the type that can accommodate a true A/T tire like a BFG KO or a Michelin LTX.

2. Best type of 4WD/AWD system, there are drivers I've heard swear by individually lockable differentials, and others put their faith in traction control systems which use selective braking to manipulate an open-differential setup.

3. Pitfalls to avoid

Old 04-15-2019, 11:32 AM

6,556 posts, read 7,136,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Here is a little makeshift "case study" I'd like to have some thread participants examine for me:

The problem we face here in the Southeastern US is that while we only get our snow 2-3" at a time, it melts during the afternoons, and re-freezes solid at night.

Despite money being thrown at the problem in the form of added plows and salt trucks (but thank you, from the bottom of my heart) the ice "begins" melting, and is disturbed by passing cars, it mushes up into slush, which cannot be completely siped away with the limited tread depth of your average passenger car tire. Despite the hard ice being melted, the slush still causes a hydroplaning effect and drivers can lose control of their vehicles.

Adding to the above, there are precious few tire shops, if any, that will stud tires. despite NC being only one of 7 (!) states with UNRESTRICTED metal stud use on tires.

What sorts of recommendations for the "Southern, on-road setup" for your daily commuter can you make as far as:

1. Best type of passenger car/CUV tire to avoid this effect, assuming the driver doesn't have a vehicle of the type that can accommodate a true A/T tire like a BFG KO or a Michelin LTX.

2. Best type of 4WD/AWD system, there are drivers I've heard swear by individually lockable differentials, and others put their faith in traction control systems which use selective braking to manipulate an open-differential setup.

3. Pitfalls to avoid
How often does it snow? Seems like giant overkill to run studs if it only snows and freezes 3 times a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive