Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2019, 07:45 AM

9,372 posts, read 6,973,951 times

Advertisements

So it’s a quiet crap car.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 07:49 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,161,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
I think it would just be held together but you could still push it out. Unlike the windshield, the side windows aren't glued in place, just the frame holds them in
I did a little searching and it seems that rescue professionals are concerned that people WILL be trapped. It seems that even without being "glued" the windows are very hard to breach. They say this is a trapping problem both under water and on land where smoke and fire are the issue.

I was going to say that I think I will just stick to tempered for as long as possible - a little more quiet is not that beg a deal; but it seems that one of my vehicles already does have lamination in the side windows.

Good to know, I will have to remember this if I am ever in a trap situation.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:12 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthisle View Post
My Golf Alltrack is in the body shop after someone went through a stop sign and hit my right front door, and my rental car is a 2019 Chrysler 300 S V6. It's a terrible car with an offset steering wheel, cramped interior, sluggish engine, and SUV-esque ride.

BUT it has one very impressive feature, laminated side glass. I've heard of this being an option on high end vehicles but what I didn't realize is how much sound it blocks. If you read the forum threads all over the internet you get the impression that it's just a bit quieter, because people are thinking in terms of total noise which includes engine and tire noise. But that's all white noise. Here's what really matters--- It almost totally blocks real noise from outside the car. You just don't hear vehicles passing by, or any of the other noise pollution in a city. The effect is silence

That looks like the exact rental car I had in Texas awhile back.

I thought the car interior was great. Engine had good pep. Looked gangsta. Was definitely quiet. My family did complain that the ride was a bit too rough. Low profile tires don't help that.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:15 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,638,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Some of you seem to think this is a new idea, that is associated with high end vehicles.
I bought my 2002 Dodge Dakota pickup new in 2002, and that was the first thing I noticed on the test drive was, I couldn't hear any outside noise as I drove it.
The salesman said this particular model (R/T) had better insulation than the standard Dakota models, thereby cutting down noise into the cabin from outside sources.

The windows have a little darker tint to them than ordinary Dakota windows, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it being quiet inside.
Sixteen years later, and it is still as quiet inside as the night I bought it.
Even with the radio off, still do not hear outside noise, and that includes tire ,and engine noise.

I have been in newer vehicles, and they are not nearly as insulated against outside noise as my Dakota.

Bob.
I agree. I was under the impression that auto glass had been laminated for years. Sound insulation and quality sealing do more to reduce outside noise than just about anything else.

Edit: appears it’s been around for scores of years.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laminated_glass

Old 04-11-2019, 11:29 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,257,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Some of you seem to think this is a new idea, that is associated with high end vehicles.
I bought my 2002 Dodge Dakota pickup new in 2002, and that was the first thing I noticed on the test drive was, I couldn't hear any outside noise as I drove it.
The salesman said this particular model (R/T) had better insulation than the standard Dakota models, thereby cutting down noise into the cabin from outside sources.

The windows have a little darker tint to them than ordinary Dakota windows, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it being quiet inside.
Sixteen years later, and it is still as quiet inside as the night I bought it.
Even with the radio off, still do not hear outside noise, and that includes tire ,and engine noise.

I have been in newer vehicles, and they are not nearly as insulated against outside noise as my Dakota.

Bob.
My first car, back in 1953 was a 1940 Ford and the windows were laminated. There is nothing new under the sun.

Old 04-11-2019, 11:55 AM

1,062 posts, read 980,593 times
I tried to take a picture of what the glass looks like, but it's out of focus. You get the idea though. Thick layer of plastic between two thin glass sheets. I don't get why it's so expensive that it's only on a few vehicles

Attached Thumbnails
Laminated side windows -- WOW-img_4144.jpg  

Old 04-12-2019, 08:35 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,737,417 times
My 1992 Mercedes 500SEL had laminated side windows front and back. Laminated to the point that they were almost 3/4" thick and required a special tool to break if you needed to escape the vehicle. Made the car totally silent, and the doors weigh a ton.

Old 04-12-2019, 12:38 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,069,474 times
So, does this mean you don't hear people honking or sirens? I noticed that in my mom's Traverse, which is super quiet compared to my Mazda3, I also didn't hear sirens until they were almost on top of me.
Half the time I wonder WTF car companies are doing with sound proofing cars and making window heights shorter.

Old 04-12-2019, 12:43 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,758,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
So, does this mean you don't hear people honking or sirens? I noticed that in my mom's Traverse, which is super quiet compared to my Mazda3, I also didn't hear sirens until they were almost on top of me.
There is a new traffic-alert tool coming into use, called the Rumbler, IIRC. It transmits frequencies that make cars in its path rumble and vibrate, precisely to get the attention of drivers of these super-isolated cars. I experienced it once, during a test implementation. It's... odd but effective.

Quote:
Half the time I wonder WTF car companies are doing with sound proofing cars and making window heights shorter.
The only example I can really think of is this Chrysler. Funny that they would go from the enormous greenhouses of models like the Intrepid to this... gun-slit look.

Old 04-12-2019, 01:32 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,069,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
There is a new traffic-alert tool coming into use, called the Rumbler, IIRC. It transmits frequencies that make cars in its path rumble and vibrate, precisely to get the attention of drivers of these super-isolated cars. I experienced it once, during a test implementation. It's... odd but effective.
That's good to hear. Odd but effective is fine as long as it's effective. This reminded me of when hybrids needed something to make noise since people were getting run over due to not hearing the car.

Quote:
The only example I can really think of is this Chrysler. Funny that they would go from the enormous greenhouses of models like the Intrepid to this... gun-slit look.
I think about my own Mazda3 HB. I've seen the new ones and sat in a newer model then mine and was like, I can't even see anything beyond directly behind me. If there's a hill of any sort, I'm screwed. Or side windows that are tiny and blindspots are becoming bigger. No wonder they're requiring camera's on all cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive