Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2019, 04:39 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,706,423 times

Advertisements

One benefit of driving a stick, that no one has mentioned.... Very few people will ask to borrow your car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 04:44 PM

6,975 posts, read 5,299,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
One benefit of driving a stick, that no one has mentioned.... Very few people will ask to borrow your car.
Yep and if you have a dead battery you can push start a manual also at least the older ones you could.

Old 04-16-2019, 04:49 PM

464 posts, read 1,039,120 times
A manual transmission (if it’s offered) can be a compelling alternative to some of these newer automatics that are overly programmed for fuel economy. A perfect example is the latest generation of the Toyota Tacoma. It’s widely disliked by even the most loyal Toyota fan boys because the transmission is constantly shifting into too high a gear and the truck feels like a slug. Luckily, there’s an elegant and cheap solution to the problem...the stick shift!

Want proof? Here’s a video of a 20 year old manual Tacoma going toe to toe with the newest ones and beating them in a race:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jbmOYTMirrw

Old 04-16-2019, 04:55 PM

6,706 posts, read 4,357,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Yep and if you have a dead battery you can push start a manual also at least the older ones you could.

Yes. This happened to me waaay back when. When to a fishing pier and left my lights on. Back before you had a warning for that. Got it going good across the parking lot, jumped in and worked the first time.

Old 04-16-2019, 05:14 PM

17,720 posts, read 13,418,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
Or steal it!

Old 04-16-2019, 05:35 PM

991 posts, read 1,218,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Chuck Norris will be dropping by to pick up your man card.

easy.
Chuck Norris ?!?!?! Hell, I think Richard Simmons could take it !!!

Old 04-16-2019, 05:38 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,131,206 times
Outside North America, manual transmission is quite common in many countries like Europe. The ABC "Amazing Race" always posed a challenge for competitors to drive a manual car in Europe.

I have a manual and an automatic. Whenever I sit in either car, I will be automatically adjusted. It is just like riding bike. Once you learn it, your won't forget.

Or more appropriately like having sex. Once you learn how to do it, you will not forget.

But driving manual is a challenge in hilly cities like San Francisco and Honolulu. There are some steep roads up the hill with many Stop signs at numerous intersections. When you have a car tailgating you and another 4 or 5 cars in front of you on a rainy day, the way you try to maneuver step by step up to the Stop sign on an ultra steep road is quite a challenge.

Way back the reason to buy stick shift is plainly economic. It is about $1,000+ cheaper.

Manual car is not that tough. But manual truck is really nuts. I still can't figure out why shifting to lower gear needs throttling.

Old 04-16-2019, 05:46 PM

11,287 posts, read 16,564,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliefNorth View Post
It looks really hard and unsafe to drive a manual. How do you know which gears to shift while driving and how do you make sure you shift correctly while keeping your eyes on the road and hands on steering wheel? It looks like driving manuals is hard work, do people actually enjoy driving a manual?
Been driving a stick since 1973.

Those who can do, those who can't drive automatics or let their wives drive them around.

Old 04-16-2019, 05:50 PM

37,422 posts, read 45,609,203 times
Quote:
It looks really hard and unsafe to drive a manual. How do you know which gears to shift while driving and how do you make sure you shift correctly while keeping your eyes on the road and hands on steering wheel? It looks like driving manuals is hard work, do people actually enjoy driving a manual?
I bought a manual shift and had never driven one. My girlfriend knew how to drive one, so she and I went out to the sticks for a few hours, and when we came back, I could drive it. It's not hard. And yes, many people absolutely love a stick shift.

Old 04-16-2019, 05:51 PM

7,980 posts, read 5,329,675 times
Quote:
Yes it is fun! My first car was a manual. Besides shifting and keeping your eyes on the road, hands on the steering wheel--it was also possible to eat a sandwich while driving!

Good times. I made my sons learn a manual before I bought them a car. When my first son bought his very first car a few years ago at age 30 (he had previous lived in NYC where a car was not needed), he made sure it was a manual!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive