Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2019, 05:55 PM

7,982 posts, read 10,319,085 times

Advertisements

I drove a manual for years. It becomes second nature. That said, I will never own one again. I don't get why people enjoy it so much. I use to have to manually roll down the windows too, doesn't mean I wish I still could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 05:55 PM

6,459 posts, read 4,849,511 times
I just skimmed the OP's posts in the thread - hilarious! I almost hope you never drive, if the thought of three pedals worries you so much.

In racing, we actually do this thing called left foot braking. Sometimes while shifting AND keeping a pit of pressure on the gas to keep revs up! Three pedals all in use with only two feet - THE HORROR!!!!

A stick is an absolute requirement for me. I hate autos. I'm dreading the day manuals are gone due to lazy people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It's worse than that. There's also the high beam switch down there on older cars and occasionally the emergency brake pedal. Five things to control with your feet.

I recall back in the day being able to drive a manual transmission, smoke a cigarette, roll a controlled substance, and not spill my beer. My car had a CB radio. I didn't have power steering or power brakes. It was crank windows and I had to use a key to open the door.

Driving a car with no synchromesh actually took a bit of skill.
Matching revs - yeah baby! I learned how to do it on an old wrecker. I once got in my car and plopped my left leg right down on a bee. I swell pretty good from yellow jacket stings. Hurt like hell. Shifted without the clutch all the way home - now that was fun! My SO had a vehicle that didn't like downshifting into 3rd unless you matched revs.

The high beam switch - I'd forgotten that! Now I can't remember where it was on my old Mustang. The wiper switch was on the dash.

Don't forget, we didn't have a single cup holder in those old cars so rolling your controlled substance without spilling your beer could be challenging! I once had a Sprite flip from the center console into my speaker - reminder, open cans go between your legs and not in consoles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post

Manual car is not that tough. But manual truck is really nuts. I still can't figure out why shifting to lower gear needs throttling.
See above! Piece o'cake. But they aren't that way any more.

Old 04-16-2019, 05:59 PM

37,407 posts, read 45,595,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliefNorth View Post
Most new model cars don’t even have a manual tranny as an option anymore. This proves Manuals are unsafe and outdated tech
What is wrong with you?

Old 04-16-2019, 06:05 PM

15,440 posts, read 21,218,755 times
Quote:
It looks really hard and unsafe to drive a manual. How do you know which gears to shift while driving and how do you make sure you shift correctly while keeping your eyes on the road and hands on steering wheel? It looks like driving manuals is hard work, do people actually enjoy driving a manual?
Wow! Not to be cynical or sarcastic but I just had a flashback to my preteen days when I sat beside my dad and wondered how he could manage to find the clutch among all the other floor pedals and how he knew which gear to shift into while he had to look at all the confusing gauges on the dashboard as we drove down the road. That was over 60 years ago. Somehow I suppose we learn and start worrying about other things.

At any rate, you probably should never try driving a 10 or 15-speed loaded semi truck where you have to shift between gears without using a clutch. However, I guess most semis are now automatic transmissions. Gad! I'm getting old.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:07 PM

4,485 posts, read 3,883,771 times
My buddy's girlfriend taught me to drive a stick on her old red Ford Falcon back in the 60s. It had a 3 speed column shift (3 on the knee) and it was admittedly a bit clunky. Modern manual transmissions are generally very smooth. Better than half the cars I've owned have been manuals and I've always enjoyed driving them.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:08 PM

15,440 posts, read 21,218,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It's worse than that. There's also the high beam switch down there on older cars and occasionally the emergency brake pedal. Five things to control with your feet.
Go back in time a bit further and you also had a starter button on the floor.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:09 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,218,123 times
Quote:
It looks really hard and unsafe to drive a manual. How do you know which gears to shift while driving and how do you make sure you shift correctly while keeping your eyes on the road and hands on steering wheel? It looks like driving manuals is hard work, do people actually enjoy driving a manual?
Those who drive vehicles with manual transmissions are superior drivers with skills far beyond those of the average. For example, you can't fly a fighter plane and it would be dangerous for you to try. You can't operate a railroad locomotive or an off-shore oil service tug, and it would be dangerous for you to try.

And then there are those drivers who are dangerous to ride with, even when they're driving vehicles with automatic transmissions. You know who they are. Or if you don't then maybe you are the one your friends don't like to ride with.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:13 PM

1,263 posts, read 1,218,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
left foot better not be on the gas pedal. unless you don't have a right foot.

And you shouldn't be resting it on the brake pedal, either.
Your left foot should also not rest on the clutch pedal.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:13 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,078,597 times
Manuals used to be more fuel efficient and quicker shifting than automatics, but now with DSG transmissions you get the convenience of an automatic with the efficiency of a manual.

Old 04-16-2019, 06:14 PM

11,867 posts, read 8,961,279 times
Quote:
Most new model cars don’t even have a manual tranny as an option anymore. This proves Manuals are unsafe and outdated tech
Well it clearly proves them to be unwanted by most people (passionate protests by some notwithstanding). If there were significant demand, the automakers would be offering them to meet it. I don't think the lack of interest is because they're unsafe though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive