Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2019, 09:35 AM

30,400 posts, read 21,215,773 times

Advertisements

Never drove one and never will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 11:16 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
My first car was a 1985 Trans Am with the 305 V8 and 5 speed, not a lot of hp but it did have plenty of torque. It could easily bark the tires in first gear if I let off the clutch too quick. I basically taught myself to drive that car with no help, it only took about a week before I learned how to take off without bucking and squealing the tires.

Old 04-21-2019, 08:36 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Try learning on a semi. I had a good grasp of manual shifting, but when you start training on semi's, you get 9-10-13 and even 20 (With 4 speed brownie) gears to play with or destroy....
Been there, done that (not breaking gears, of course)

Nothing to destroy if you already know how to shift a manual transmission. Most of the large dump trucks I drove had an air operated transfer controller on the stick. I didn't even have to move my hand away from the stick's handle to operate the transfer controller (a small pull-knob). When needing to go to the next set of "higher" gears, all I had to do was to pull the transfer controller (clutch disengaged first) with my middle finger. This in turn would transfer the transmission to the next higher gears. Bu first all I had to do was start up-shifting from a lower gear to the highest one in that mode. The next step was to disengage the clutch once more, pull the transfer controller, and again start up shifting to the desired higher gear in the chain. That was a 15-gear transmission, but the lower gears were only used when carrying heavy loads. If the dump truck was empty, then I not always had to use the first set of low gears, just the second and third.

Old 04-21-2019, 09:22 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Been there, done that (not breaking gears, of course)

Nothing to destroy if you already know how to shift a manual transmission. Most of the large dump trucks I drove had an air operated transfer controller on the stick. I...
real trucks (and drivers) have 2 (or more) sticks!) (I prefer the air switches since I drive mtns!)

Old 04-22-2019, 02:50 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,143,628 times
When I drive manual, I can get to the next gas station when someone helps me push start if I have a dead battery.

For auto, either AAA or another driver helps you jump start. No way it can do it by itself.

Last edited by Ian_Lee; 04-22-2019 at 02:58 PM..

Old 04-22-2019, 02:58 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,317,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
When I drive manual, I can get to the next gas station when someone helps me push start even if I have a dead battery.

If your battery died because your alternator died, then no push start is going to help you.

I haven't had to push start a car in over 3 decades. Is this a real problem with newer cars that you have to have a manual to make sure you're safe?

Old 04-22-2019, 03:38 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,143,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
If your battery died because your alternator died, then no push start is going to help you.

I haven't had to push start a car in over 3 decades. Is this a real problem with newer cars that you have to have a manual to make sure you're safe?
My manual car was bought 18 years ago. By that time it was cheaper and more gas saving.

I have a newer auto car. I enjoy driving it. Only that it makes me somewhat lazy, i.e. Google map and rear view camera.

Old 04-23-2019, 06:37 AM

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
For the most part it just seems like a way for guys to defend 'machismo power' and street racing.

Except anything fast, and I'm talking fast not off the showroom cars won't be having a manual transmission. Most people aren't going to put a Liberty's gears 5 spd or a Lenco in their "street racer", not saying it hasn't been done , I've seen it but it isn't common.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:43 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Your brain adjust and makes it almost involuntary. You just do it. I've never had anything but manual transmissions. It becomes like breathing.

Old 04-23-2019, 08:06 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
When I drive manual, I can get to the next gas station when someone helps me push start if I have a dead battery.

For auto, either AAA or another driver helps you jump start. No way it can do it by itself.
Well, it seems pretty clear from your own statements that you need someone else's help either way.

Except that now they make battery boosters that you carry in your trunk, so you actually can jump start yourself. But you're not going to push-start yourself unless you're on a hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive