Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2019, 03:04 PM

604 posts, read 856,417 times

Advertisements

I love driving a manual transmission, that's what all of my cars have been. One good reason to know how to drive manual is that in many countries around the world, most rentals are manual transmission so if you know how to drive it, you won't have to worry about about the possibility of not being able to get a vehicle with an automatic transmission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 03:10 PM

24,490 posts, read 17,226,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliefNorth View Post
It looks really hard and unsafe to drive a manual. How do you know which gears to shift while driving and how do you make sure you shift correctly while keeping your eyes on the road and hands on steering wheel? It looks like driving manuals is hard work, do people actually enjoy driving a manual?

2 of my vehicles are standards, one is a JeeP Wrangler and the other a replica of a 65 Cobra.

I have owned a few other standards as well and I used to drive a box truck that was standard. The last time we visited Ireland the rental car was a 5 speed and that was fun, number one driving on the wrong side of the road and shifting with my left hand. I missed a few gears here and there but we managed.

Driving a standard is easy once you get the hang of it and it can be fun but what is difficult is talking on the cell phone and drinking a coffee while you have to shift the gears. That can be tough.

Old 04-23-2019, 04:42 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,075,004 times
Quote:
It’s on the gas pedal
So your left foot is on the gas pedal? You are one weird driver. I can see why you would never be able to drive a manual transmission.

Old 04-23-2019, 05:03 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
I'm afraid that evolution will convert our species into those super-obese characters in Wall-E.
With no legs or arms, just thumbs and forefingers.

Old 04-23-2019, 05:07 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
So your left foot is on the gas pedal? You are one weird driver. I can see why you would never be able to drive a manual transmission.
But Cookie Skoon’s husband Gerry could dance with two left feet!

Old 04-23-2019, 07:45 PM

162 posts, read 180,124 times
I drive a 10 speed (10 gear) manual transmission Volvo big truck for work. It's the only manual that I've driven regularly in my life. Yeah, it took some getting familiar with for a few days. Even then all of the trucks at work don't drive the same even when they are manual transmission. There's always an adjustment period to how the vehicle wants to be driven (Where the gear is relative to your speed and rpms)...... Once you learn that, you will be on your way. It's not terribly difficult once you get some practice. You will mess up a little bit during practice. Don't worry about that.

Old 04-23-2019, 07:52 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
I drove cars with manual transmissions.

I also used rotary-dial phone, hand-crank windows, and non-motorized push mowers.

However, I wouldn't want to go back to using any of those items.

Yes, those items operated as they were designed but they all had room for improvement.

Arguably, the automatic transmission was an improvement on the manual transmission because:

1) it is more reliable,

2) it reduces human labor (although it is minimal, shifting gears is still requires physical exertion), and

3) it allows for safer driving (even though you may be the exception, most people still take their eyes off the road to glance down when shifting gears and everyone takes a hand off the steering wheel or keeps a hand off the wheel for gear shifting, which is less safe than two-handed steering).

The original version of an item is not always its best iteration.
Who told you an automatic transmission was more reliable than a manual? That is totally backwards.

Old 04-23-2019, 10:08 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,119,785 times
I prefer automatics...I drive an 18 speed for 12hrs a night and prefer to not have to shift when not at work.

Old 04-23-2019, 11:12 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,736,140 times
Quote:
It looks really hard and unsafe to drive a manual. How do you know which gears to shift while driving and how do you make sure you shift correctly while keeping your eyes on the road and hands on steering wheel? It looks like driving manuals is hard work, do people actually enjoy driving a manual?

It looks really hard and unsafe to drive a manual.
In general no, they aren't. Some are easier to drive than others. Different types of cars may have shorter throws for performance and a wider power band.

How do you know which gears to shift while driving and how do you make sure you shift correctly while keeping your eyes on the road and hands on the steering wheel Typically a driver uses RPM's to up shift, not miles per hour. Typically a driver will use miles per hour to downshift, not RPMS. It depends on the situation. A driver only uses first gear to start off. Most cars today can be brought to a near stop and use second gear to get going again provided the vehicle is rolling a bit. A driver needs to feel what the car is doing. When in doubt push the clutch in to avoid stalling.

It looks like driving manuals is hard work, do people actually enjoy driving a manual? It can be if in traffic. I enjoy driving stick very much.

Old 04-24-2019, 06:06 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
I'm afraid that evolution will convert our species into those super-obese characters in Wall-E.

I completely agree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive