Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 09:53 PM

356 posts, read 175,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliefNorth View Post
Most new model cars don’t even have a manual tranny as an option anymore. This proves Manuals are unsafe and outdated tech
Thanks for your opinion. Any other comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 09:58 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,094,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Yes, manual shifting can be done... for decades, it was the only choice.
I know how to drive a "stick," if the need should ever arise.

But now that automatic transmissions are available, why do some people still want manual transmissions?

Who knows?

We have electric shavers now, but some guys still shave with blades.

The manual typewriter is said to be making a comeback.

Analog watches still sell.

Perhaps there are even a few people out there who still write with fountain pens.

To each his own.

No where near the failure rate as automatics, and easier to rebuild if something does fail.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:01 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,439,526 times
Quote:
I don’t see how you can possibly drive a manual safely on a highway with tons of traffic (rush hour)
What do you think 18-wheelers are doing? They have at least 10 forward gears, plus a splitter, and they have to double clutch.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:05 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,235,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
That is why you have a tachometer.

Driving a manual is fun in the right situation like on a curvy mountain road. In bumper to bumper traffic, not so much.
Tachometer if you're fancy. My first car was a 4-speed manual without a tachometer and without power steering. You just got a feel for the power curve as to when to shift. It's all subjective and based on engine power, gear ratios, rate of acceleration, grade, etc. I've owned exclusively manual transmission cars up until I went electric.

Just today I took out a loaner 2019 MB S63 AMG Cabriolet. It was the first car I've driven that had more than 6 forward gears and I really did not enjoy it very much. The car felt like a simulator and was rather anemic with the constant early up-shifts. I didn't make too much use of the turbos either, but I was surprised with the lag...maybe it's a drive-by wire issue or maybe I've been spoiled by more engaged transmissions.

As for safety, most MT drivers would argue that it's safer. The mechanics, skill, and knowledge puts the driver in more control. I can tell you that driving the MB today that there were many points along the S-curves where I would have hung on to the lower gear longer. Shifter gears unexpectedly during a turn disrupts the balance of the car and I did not appreciate it. However, the seat massagers were a nice feature.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:20 PM

1,663 posts, read 876,610 times
Quote:
I don’t see how you can possibly drive a manual safely on a highway with tons of traffic (rush hour)
Truck drivers do it all the time, and they have 10, 13, and 18 speed transmissions. Trucks used to use two transmissions and power steering wasn't as common as it is now. Here's an example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0QPajx2xnk

Old 04-15-2019, 11:22 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
That is why you have a tachometer.
I've never owned a standard transmission vehicle (other than motorcycles) that had a tach. You just shift by engine sound. Very easy to do.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:24 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Most new model cars don’t even have a manual tranny as an option anymore. This proves Manuals are unsafe and outdated tech
That just proves that most people want an automatic. It has nothing to do with safety or being outdated.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:48 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I've never owned an automatic. Manual is what I specifically look for in my next car but it is getting difficult. I daily commute with traffic with a manual transmission vehicle.
https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...-transmission/

Old 04-15-2019, 11:54 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
The reason they don't sell very many manuals is because people are just plain lazy.

Old 04-16-2019, 12:11 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
It looks really hard and unsafe to drive a manual. How do you know which gears to shift while driving and how do you make sure you shift correctly while keeping your eyes on the road and hands on steering wheel? It looks like driving manuals is hard work, do people actually enjoy driving a manual?

coordination. some people hav a hard time learning to drive a manual, others have no problems. i fell into the second category. i learned to drive a manual very quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive