Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 03:48 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,503,079 times

Advertisements

Probably for the best Victor.

They're tanks of vehicles, but they're driven to all hell.

I keep thinking of Jeff Foxworthy on this one...

Buying a used rental car (or police cruiser) is like taking a prostitute home as a wife...

Anything thats been driven that hard, for that many miles... you just don't want to stick your key into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 04:20 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,261,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
This would be a terrible choice for a commute to work vehicle. Cheap to buy at an auction, perhaps. Cheap to maintain and pay fuel for, no way. All that extra heavy duty suspension and weight of the police cruiser takes fuel to push all over town. Get a nice little 4 cylinder sedan for a commute car.

I would not lean towards a Mustang 2, I would run away. One of the worst cars ever to come off an auto assembly line in the US, it's mechanically a Pinto twin with a different body. Why throw money at an old Pinto? Better in the long run to get one decent, reliable, economical car than mess around with multiple junkers.
^ i agree with this guy. you can probably find a clean, low mileage, later model chevy cavalier for next to nothing - those things dont hold any value. and it will likely be very reliable. i owned a 2000 chevy cavalier for about 5 or 6 years and the only thing that ever had to be fixed was the radio, and one of the spark plug wires went bad. just keep your vehicle, whatever you decide to get, well maintained. and yeah, the Mustang II was a true turd from it's conception.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:27 PM

303 posts, read 980,239 times
Default Police car out!

That makes my final decision solid. Thanks mrs 1885 and all who responded. I may still kick around the idea of doing a feasibility study on restoring the old Mustang II though.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:41 PM

534 posts, read 2,407,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
^ i agree with this guy. you can probably find a clean, low mileage, later model chevy cavalier for next to nothing - those things dont hold any value. and it will likely be very reliable. i owned a 2000 chevy cavalier for about 5 or 6 years and the only thing that ever had to be fixed was the radio, and one of the spark plug wires went bad. just keep your vehicle, whatever you decide to get, well maintained. and yeah, the Mustang II was a true turd from it's conception.
Id be so unlikely to recommend a 2000 cavalier to anyone. EXCEPT! My buddy at work has a 99. With 70k miles on it, that he bought new. He literally NEVER has any problems with it and it gets 30 miles a gallon plus. He is literally thrilled with it. I just figured his was a fluke. Maybe not.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:48 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,771,717 times
Those of you in law enforcement, do you drive your cars as hard as Elwood did to the bluesmobile?

Old 04-13-2008, 09:07 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbugmiami View Post
Id be so unlikely to recommend a 2000 cavalier to anyone. EXCEPT! My buddy at work has a 99. With 70k miles on it, that he bought new. He literally NEVER has any problems with it and it gets 30 miles a gallon plus. He is literally thrilled with it. I just figured his was a fluke. Maybe not.
Those Cavaliers are actually pretty tough little cars. Cheap parts and easy to work on when they do break down.

Back to the cop cars, many departments are now on stricter budgets and keeping their cars longer. A decade ago you could find a retired police car with 100k miles, but now some departments keep them until 150k+ miles.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:18 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Slape View Post
I have a question for the automotive forum.

We have leased Saturns for almost 10 years and have been served well. We recently bought a Chevy Uplander van to transport the grandkids. My lease is over in a few months and am thinking of buying a former police car if I find one. I have heard they are built very well for heavy duty service and last for years.

Would a Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor be a good find and buy should one come along? It will be a "go to work" car.

Or should I focus on getting my old 77 Ford Mustang 2 up and running. It has been basically parked the last 5 years and needs brakes, a new carbuerator and a master cylinder for starters.I am leaning towards both.

Maybe an auto pro can advise?
Don't you ever watch "Worlds Wildest Police Chases"? Do you REALLY want one of those cars?

Old 04-16-2008, 02:18 AM

134 posts, read 525,530 times
Looks like you made up your mind but I got a retired crown vic it was the sheriff-coroners car and was not beat up like a patrol unit. Its a 97 purchased in 2004 with 155,000 miles and in 4 years I haven't even put much money into it. Even drove it from CA to AK

Old 04-16-2008, 08:24 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,261,029 times
also, those scope lights that are usually mounted to the outer doors look pretty tacky, mang.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:42 AM

303 posts, read 980,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezer41 View Post
Looks like you made up your mind but I got a retired crown vic it was the sheriff-coroners car and was not beat up like a patrol unit. Its a 97 purchased in 2004 with 155,000 miles and in 4 years I haven't even put much money into it. Even drove it from CA to AK
Well, I am a ture belivere in "never say never..."" I won't rule it out 100%Freezer41. The division you bought your from obviously was well taken care of and probably didn't jump to many curbs or idle for hours on end. In a city my size, it will be hard to find one used for other thanm patrol-chase duty. Yioy were fortunate.

A few weeks ago there was a retired Omaha Police cruiser (1998) for sale on the street for 750 bucks. It didn't look too rough and was clean inside and out, but you could still see the "Omaha Police" letters that had been peeled off. I intended to test drive it but kept putting off. It was soon gone. Maybe it just wasn't meant to be? I still have a few months left to decide, but am exploring other options still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
also, those scope lights that are usually mounted to the outer doors look pretty tacky, mang.
Hi Linson. They can always be removed and the electrical access hole plugged up. I wouldn't mind having one though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive