Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 11:06 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,254,576 times

Advertisements

No.
OEM tires are put on there because of cost to the manufacturer, even on expensive cars.

All four tires will match. Rotate your tires so they all wear out together. Tire rotations are cheap. If you have a blowout, buy the same tire.
Mismatched tires mean the owner doesn't care about their car. Where else did they skimp?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2019, 11:08 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times
NO! I did wait until my car was three years old before replacing the OEM tires. Went with the best quality touring tires I could afford, Bridgestone Turanza with a serenity plus. Quieter smoother ride. Plus there is a curve I could not confidently take at the posted speed limit with my previous tires. Was able to take that same curve without feeling the rear end was going to break loose. These tires have caused me to loose one to two MPG but confident handling and braking is more important. Perhaps one day they can make a low rolling resistance tire that can stop and corner like traditional touring tires. When that time comes that’s going to be my next tire purchase.

Old 04-21-2019, 11:10 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
You can look only and see what tires the car came with it.
You can but sometimes they don't use the same tires for the entire model year. My son found that out the hard way. He had an unrepairable tire on his year old Ford Focus. The tires didn't come with a road hazard warranty so he needed to replace it. The dealer didn't have any, and showed him a list of 6 different tires that they had put on that year and model vehicle, three of which were used during the same time period. After about two dozen phone calls he found a Ford dealer who had one of the tires. .

Old 04-21-2019, 11:16 AM

My SUV came with Kumhos, I loved them, they were grippy and the ride was very smooth. My husband took it upon himself to go buy new tires for it, he got Continentals. His reasoning was that they would last 60,000 miles. I only drive around 6,000-8,000 miles a year and probably don't need tires that will last 10 years but that didn't stop him. The ride is awful, you feel every irregularity in the pavement, I've never hated tires so much

Old 04-21-2019, 11:32 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You can but sometimes they don't use the same tires for the entire model year. My son found that out the hard way. He had an unrepairable tire on his year old Ford Focus. The tires didn't come with a road hazard warranty so he needed to replace it. The dealer didn't have any, and showed him a list of 6 different tires that they had put on that year and model vehicle, three of which were used during the same time period. After about two dozen phone calls he found a Ford dealer who had one of the tires. .
Yea, but still found, meaning that there could one or eight different ones used, but will still know which ones were used, even if that means jumping through a few hoops.

Old 04-21-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Yea, but still found, meaning that there could one or eight different ones used, but will still know which ones were used, even if that means jumping through a few hoops.
I agree, I was just surprised that they used 3 different brand tires during the same production dates.

Old 04-21-2019, 11:58 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,760,486 times
Gahd, no. There are nearly always better tires available, even if only optimized for a particular driver and region. The only car I put OEM's on was one Mercedes that had a highly optimized Continental and couldn't really be improved.

I tend to put better all-weather tires on my cars, usually Goodyear Tripletred or the new replacement model.

Old 04-21-2019, 12:05 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Gahd, no. There are nearly always better tires available, even if only optimized for a particular driver and region. The only car I put OEM's on was one Mercedes that had a highly optimized Continental and couldn't really be improved.

I tend to put better all-weather tires on my cars, usually Goodyear Tripletred or the new replacement model.
This pretty much. The OEM tires usually are not anywhere close to being the best tires for the car, the only exception are some performance related and luxury vehicles. Most of the time getting non-OEM will be the better choice.

Old 04-21-2019, 12:09 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,338,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal25 View Post
OEM tires are usually nothing special. I buy the best tires I can. Unless I get a blowout in one tire, I usually replace 2-4 tires at a time so unmatched tires are really not an issue. If they are, buy all four.
Exactly. Many times the OEM tire was just the lowest bidder.

Old 04-21-2019, 01:50 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,760,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
Exactly. Many times the OEM tire was just the lowest bidder.
More than that, it's a tire chosen by marketing to meet some arbitrary goal among the characteristics of ride, basic handling, fuel economy, noise etc. So it's a tire that's okay at all those things but good at none of them.

My least concern for tires is durability; I've driven cars with "high mileage" tires and they tend to scare the hell out of me with their lack of grip and weather handling. My second least concern is fuel economy; it is not worth low-resistance, long-wear tires to save 100 gallons of gas over their lifetime. My aim is usually the best possible handling in all weather conditions, without too high a noise issue.

But noisy tires or ones "only" rated at 40k miles or whatever might scare off buyers, so OEMs go right for the vanilla.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive