Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 02:49 PM

276 posts, read 203,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Just because I know a lot of people that go horseback riding doesn't mean our roads are filled with people commuting on horses to work.
Sure people still ride horses, but as a sport and for recreation and fun, not as a primary means of transportation except for people in certain religious groups that don't use cars or other technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
The fact that you bring up VHS/Cassette/8Track....I don't even want to get into it. Many could be a lot of your old time friends, but most people do not use these. And yes I have a couple cassettes and a VHS sitting in my house. I don't ever use them.
Some people still use vinyl records which have been around for well over a hundred years, way longer than VHS tapes or cassette tapes, but they're not the norm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 02:51 PM

276 posts, read 203,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
That’s all you do is commute to work and go back home? You never go anywhere else?

I observe a lot of people’s behavior. I see a lot of people leaving work to go eat on their lunch breaks. After work many are only home for an hour or so and then they leave again to go run errands or go to their kid’s football practice or whatever. I see some people come and go five times in one evening, so not much time for recharging there.

As far as charging stations at shopping centers, I have never seen that (other than a Tesla supercharger station at a mall). I also don’t know of anyone that has a charging spot where they work.
On a modern Tesla with a full charge unless you commute a considerable distance you could easily drive to work, lunch, activities with the children, or any other every day driving you might do, and then you charge it up at home for the night, in the morning it will be fully charged back up.

Old 04-24-2019, 03:01 PM

6,734 posts, read 4,413,618 times
The automobile industry would be quite boring. With exception of a few. Check out Don Garlits Electric dragster on Youtube. I would like to try an electric motorcycle.

Old 04-24-2019, 03:15 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,265,028 times
[quote=southernnaturelover;55019547]
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post

Yeah, combine the degradation in a hot climate with the a/c always running and I can’t imagine what the range of a 5 year old car would be.

Just about everything I have ever owned that’s rechargeable has been a disappointment after a few years, it doesn’t matter if it’s nickel metal hydride or lithium ion. I’m not convinced EVs would be any different.

Different battery types affect degradation, and with li-ion, thermal management is key to avoid massive degradation. For instance, Tesla's Model 3 batteries should last 300,000-500,000 miles ("last" ~ 20-30% degradation). Maybe 10% degradation over 100k miles.

Old 04-24-2019, 03:18 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetJustice View Post
On a modern Tesla with a full charge unless you commute a considerable distance you could easily drive to work, lunch, activities with the children, or any other every day driving you might do, and then you charge it up at home for the night, in the morning it will be fully charged back up.
If you don't mind spending $50K on a compact car.

Old 04-24-2019, 03:23 PM

6,734 posts, read 4,413,618 times
'' Sure people still ride horses, but as a sport and for recreation and fun, not as a primary means of transportation except for people in certain religious groups that don't use cars or other technology."

We also grind them up and feed them to our pets. And the glue thing.

Old 04-24-2019, 05:17 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
If all cars are 100% electric, there would be more power outages and cars getting stuck without power. Car batteries power fluctuate between seasons especially in the winter. Not to mention EVs needs more charging for longer distance driving so more charging is needed than gas cars that can simply fill up and go.

Old 04-24-2019, 05:39 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I don't know. Recently on yet another EV thread one of the boosters said that the heated seats and steering wheel are enough when it's cold.
Must have been from LA

Old 04-24-2019, 06:07 PM

12,368 posts, read 9,473,336 times
I think they have their own internal efforts too, but Ford just invested $500M in a new electric vehicle maker called Rivian. Apparently Rivian has a pickup truck under development that would be a mid-sized truck, with a claimed 0-60mph time of 3.0 seconds, 780HP and 800 lb-ft of torque allowing it to tow up to 10,000lb. There is a motor at each wheel and AWD. Electric vehicles have massive torque that's instantly available right off the line - no need to wait for engine revs to build. That will be great for heavy duty towing. Range is claimed to be 200+ to 400+ miles, depending on battery pack.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/04...tartup-rivian/

https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/04/her...he-year-video/

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 04-24-2019 at 06:22 PM..

Old 04-24-2019, 07:29 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
I can imagine the wait at a charging station when the entire state of Florida is evacuating a hurricane all driving EV’s. Even more fun when they return back with no power for miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive