Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 01:27 PM

2,347 posts, read 3,308,775 times

Advertisements

Maybe it's just a local geographic thing to me. But just eyeballing the cars on the roads and freeways here (Central CA), it seems like 80% of all cars are painted black, white, or some intermediate color (gray, silver).

The remaining other colors...your reds, burgundys, blues, yellows, make up just the remaining 20%. The best part of the color spectrum is used on the smallest percentage of vehicles.

Why?

Is this an effect of cars in general having gotten so boring and utilitarian? Twenty and thirty years ago, cars were sold on their aesthetics, performance, and color.

Today it's for their reliability, mileage, and whatever electronic gadegtry is installed. So maybe people just don't care about looks the way they used to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 01:58 PM

16,563 posts, read 15,105,033 times
It's always been like that. White has been the most popular "color" for a long time. Matter of fact, most cars look real good in white.

Old 04-24-2019, 02:36 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,863,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
It's always been like that..
Not quite.

In the olden days more people ordered a vehicle. Dealerships were downtown and had little in inventory.
One could order a green, blue, red, etc vehicle.
In the olden days Chevrolet for example had 43 different color combinations for interior and exterior. Today one is lucky to find 2.

Today with megadealers the least common denominator of colors. Most today want to drive the new car home today. So whatever is on lot - that's the choice. Some do wait for a dealer transfer for a particular color. But few actually will order a vehicle from the factory. Some don't even know that a new car can be ordered from the factory with the color and options that they want/need.

Old 04-24-2019, 02:48 PM

16,544 posts, read 17,306,171 times
I read somewhere that companies like Apple with their monochrome coloured products have had an influence on the colours of cars that people go for.

No idea if that does have anything to do with it.

Red seems to be making a come back.

For me a good guage of what is 'on trend' is to see what coloured cars the manufacturers show in their ads, or release to car journalists, and I have seen a number of red cars feature over here in Europe.

Old 04-24-2019, 02:49 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,166,818 times
I hate white cars. White is for refrigerators.

Old 04-24-2019, 03:08 PM

11,750 posts, read 14,559,260 times
I'm not sure people don't care about how a car looks. I think Unit731 is right: close to 100% of new cars are sold right off the lot, rather than ordered. Gray, charcoal, and silver may be boring, but there are very few people who find them downright offensive, offensive enough to scrap a deal on a car that otherwise meets their needs.

Consequently, dealers don't want cars on the lot that won't sell. Who knows, maybe the next person on the lot will be that one person who wants their Camry or Taurus in puce, fuchsia, or chartreuse*, but do you want to be the guy who's stuck with it at the end of the model year?

*I know those are all names of colors, but that's as far as my supply of information goes.

Old 04-24-2019, 03:33 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,680,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
It's always been like that. White has been the most popular "color" for a long time. Matter of fact, most cars look real good in white.

Yep, I just finished building a car, and could have painted it any color. I chose Wimbledon White, looks clean, and it holds up better in the hot Florida sun.......cooler inside too.

Old 04-24-2019, 03:43 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,364,296 times
I noticed this too.

Last year we bought a new Honda CRV. I bought a blue one. I think it might have been the only blue one they had out of about 30 that were on their lot.

For the most part, Honda doesn't allow you to special order anything. You get the choice of 4 or 5 trim levels and you get whatever options go with that particular trim level. After you pick the trim level the only choices they give you is the color and weather you want 2 or all wheel drive.

For example, on the CRV that I got, the base model has a 2.4L 4 cylinder engine, no sunroof, 17" wheels and a normal keyed ignition. All other trim levels force you to take a 1.5L turbo, a sunroof, 18" wheels and push button start, then they start adding more options from there for each jump in trim level.

Say you'd like a higher trim level but you don't want the sunroof. Too bad. Or perhaps you'd rather have the larger non-turbo engine paired up with their adaptive cruise control and leather seats. Too bad, you can't. It's a little frustrating, but it's probably the direction all makes are going.

Old 04-24-2019, 03:50 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,912,666 times
"Why?"
if we are only considering cars (not trucks/suvs/vans/etc.).....
fleets/governments/rentals are mostly white and the percentage vs. all cars
on the road is increasing since SUV's have taken most of the private "car" sales.
our local sheriff's department just switched from brown to white vehicles.

Old 04-24-2019, 04:02 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,660,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
I hate white cars. White is for refrigerators.
Hold it! Cancel that order to Gato...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive