Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 02:39 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times

Advertisements

My windshield and side mirrors (in fact all my glass) are 32 years old.

For the longest time I have suffered through the agony of rain spots outside the wiper sweep area. No matter how well I thought I cleaned the windshield, they would not go away. I even tried to razor blade the whole glass.

Today I watched the "steel wool" method for cleaning the glass (You tube) and tried it... The result is that it has removed the majority of the water spots that I could never get rid of in the past. But, looking closely at the glass, there are still very small spots that can be seen.

Overall, looking through the windshield while driving is excellent, but when driving directly into the sun, the thousands of stone pits from over the years can be seen and can be distracting and annoying.

Can anyone recommend any other tricks (short of replacing the glass) to hide or reduce the visual effect of the pitting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 02:43 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,750,068 times
does your insurance cover windshield replacement?

Old 04-29-2019, 02:49 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
does your insurance cover windshield replacement?
No.

Old 04-29-2019, 02:51 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
I've wondered about this too...at least for a gravel/rock pitted 20 year old windshield. The couple of times I've had to replace a windshield on other cars the replacement was never quite as well sealed against moisture as the original. Maybe I just had bad luck?

Old 04-29-2019, 02:52 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,093,627 times
Claybar your windshield maybe add ceramic coat on top.

Old 04-29-2019, 03:02 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,577,041 times
Cleaning glass is a PIA. You deserve it - Just buy a new windshield.

Safelite quickquote

https://fixmyglass.safelite.com/FixM...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 04-29-2019, 03:07 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
My windshield and side mirrors (in fact all my glass) are 32 years old.

For the longest time I have suffered through the agony of rain spots outside the wiper sweep area. No matter how well I thought I cleaned the windshield, they would not go away. I even tried to razor blade the whole glass.

Today I watched the "steel wool" method for cleaning the glass (You tube) and tried it... The result is that it has removed the majority of the water spots that I could never get rid of in the past. But, looking closely at the glass, there are still very small spots that can be seen.

Overall, looking through the windshield while driving is excellent, but when driving directly into the sun, the thousands of stone pits from over the years can be seen and can be distracting and annoying.

Can anyone recommend any other tricks (short of replacing the glass) to hide or reduce the visual effect of the pitting?

Eastwood and other car accessory/car/restoration companies sell abrasive material (usually cerium oxide) for compounding the glass. The stone pits are pits, they are not like water spots which are deposits on the surface.

https://www.eastwood.com/glass-polis...iABEgL71vD_BwE

Be careful, don't cause ripples in the glass, the kit will have good directions I would think.

Good luck. If you try this and are completely unsatisfied with the result, you can just break down and replace the windshield.

Old 04-29-2019, 03:08 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,093,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Cleaning glass is a PIA. You deserve it - Just buy a new windshield.

Safelite quickquote

https://fixmyglass.safelite.com/FixM...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Says the Safelite shill. I'm not a option coat or a ziebart shill but I bet an application of ceramic coating would restore a pitted windshield.

Old 04-29-2019, 03:21 PM

356 posts, read 175,808 times
Barkeep's Friend powder, mixed with water. Sponge on and rub a section of your windshield at a time and then wipe off with a wet microfiber. Follow-up with an overall water/shampoo wash.

Did wonders on water spots on my windshield.

Old 04-29-2019, 06:21 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
the last time i had a windshield that was scarred with various kinds of damage, i thought about replacing it. i checked around and found that safelite would replace the windshield for $238. as far as i am concerned, this is a safety item, and using jewelers rouge(what the eastwood product is) while cost effective can distort the view out the windshield after using it. just replace the damned windshield, most of them are cheap enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive