Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 05:12 PM

3,075 posts, read 1,997,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
Check the dealerships website, they may have printable coupons of parts purchases, ours usually have a 10% coupon.

Will do, BB, thank you... didn't know dealerships offered coupons. I'm going tomorrow to p/u or order the parts... I'll let you know how it goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 06:29 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,955,804 times
You can get exact replacements on e-Bay for about 40.00 for all 4 doors ( 2011 CR-V)
I ordered them for a 2010 Civic and they fit perfectly and only took about 30 minutes to install.
I don’t think that you can use bulk molding because they “clip” in to hold them in place and they have a molded piece of plastic to keep the form.
You can also get a little set of 4 plastic molding tools to preserve the paint for about 6.00. The little clips usually break off when you pry the molding off, but the new moldings come with new clips and just snap back in place.

Last edited by Sydney123; 05-09-2019 at 06:41 PM..

Old 05-09-2019, 06:36 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
I went to AutoZone today & they have a generic, long strip of molding that can be cut to size. He said it's easily cut with scissors. It's $20 per pkg & would be enough for all 4 windows... far less than the $50+/molding per window I found at Honda parts sites.

I can easily take out the molding from my car (it popped out with little effort on my part) & cut the generic to size, but would the seal be the same with the generic as with the Honda part?

Thank you!

Not likely. I would get the genuine Honda part if it's available.

I would leave it alone rather than try to replace with generic "stuff".

Old 05-09-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Not likely. I would get the genuine Honda part if it's available.

I would leave it alone rather than try to replace with generic "stuff".
The OE parts are about 109.00 each.. she needs 4. ( 436.00) The aftermarket parts are 1/10th the cost and fit/work the same as the OE parts. We’re not talking integral mechanical parts here.

Last edited by Sydney123; 05-09-2019 at 07:10 PM..

Old 05-10-2019, 12:42 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
The OE parts are about 109.00 each.. she needs 4. ( 436.00) The aftermarket parts are 1/10th the cost and fit/work the same as the OE parts. We’re not talking integral mechanical parts here.

Well, in that case, sure. I don't think some generic weatherstrip on a roll is going to do it for her, though.

In many cases with German cars, a BMW part in a BMW marked box would be one price, while an essentially identical Ate part fits the same, works the same, but costs a good bit less.

In my experience, with Japanese cars, many parts are available new only from the dealer, if you want OEM type quality (Duralast and etc. are of course available, but not as good as OEM.) The only way to get a better price on some of these parts is get them from a junkyard.

Old 05-11-2019, 02:59 AM

I have limited time here & am in a tiny town, so I'll be waiting 'til I move towards Cape Coral/Ft. Myers next wk & get settled before finding parts. I'm having trouble enough finding a place to wax my car, so I'll wait 'til I get into a larger city for both.

I'll report back, thank you, Everyone.

Old 05-11-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Well, in that case, sure. I don't think some generic weatherstrip on a roll is going to do it for her, though.

In many cases with German cars, a BMW part in a BMW marked box would be one price, while an essentially identical Ate part fits the same, works the same, but costs a good bit less.

In my experience, with Japanese cars, many parts are available new only from the dealer, if you want OEM type quality (Duralast and etc. are of course available, but not as good as OEM.) The only way to get a better price on some of these parts is get them from a junkyard.
The ones I bought from e-bay were made in Japan, and they looked identical to the ones I took off the car...
It’s been a year in the Ca sunshine and they still look great. The clips that hold them in place we’re even of better quality. If it were a important mechanical part I may have gone OEM, but for weatherstripping... I opted for the after market.

Old 05-11-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
You can also get a little set of 4 plastic molding tools to preserve the paint for about 6.00. The little clips usually break off when you pry the molding off, but the new moldings come with new clips and just snap back in place.

Syd... Can you tell me where I'd buy those molding tools? Automotive store? Craft store? Lowe's? This week I was at Target, an auto parts store & Walmart & couldn't find anything. I'm guessing it would be a home improvement store?

As an aside, I have a thin metal tool that I used just to pry up a part of the molding, just to see if it would be easy... of course, I wouldn't use it to avoid scratches, I was just testing... (it's very easy, btw) the tool is now caked in black tar-ish gunk. I don't know if black adhesive were used to secure the molding... doesn't seem it's necessary from the vids I've seen. Is it possible the rubber part of the molding melted?

As soon as I reach FL in 1-2 wks, I'll stop into a Honda dealership & buy the 4 replacement moldings.

Old 05-18-2019, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Syd... Can you tell me where I'd buy those molding tools? Automotive store? Craft store? Lowe's? This week I was at Target, an auto parts store & Walmart & couldn't find anything. I'm guessing it would be a home improvement store?

As an aside, I have a thin metal tool that I used just to pry up a part of the molding, just to see if it would be easy... of course, I wouldn't use it to avoid scratches, I was just testing... (it's very easy, btw) the tool is now caked in black tar-ish gunk. I don't know if black adhesive were used to secure the molding... doesn't seem it's necessary from the vids I've seen. Is it possible the rubber part of the molding melted?

As soon as I reach FL in 1-2 wks, I'll stop into a Honda dealership & buy the 4 replacement moldings.
I got them on amazon, but I am sure you can get them or something similar at Auto Zone. There’s a section where they sell things for body work. They’re really not that difficult to remove. the clips will probably snap off, but the new weatherstripping has new clips.

Old 05-18-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
I got them on amazon, but I am sure you can get them or something similar at Auto Zone. There’s a section where they sell things for body work. They’re really not that difficult to remove. the clips will probably snap off, but the new weatherstripping has new clips.

Right. You'll have to read the above posts. Didn't find what I needed at Auto Zone... I'll buy the parts through Honda once settled. Removal seems easy, again, posted above. I'm sure I can do it... unsure what they charge for labor, but it's got to be over $100, so it's worth my while to DIY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive