Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 05:15 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,145,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
My pick? A VW Touareg TDI. Yes they’re still out there and most don’t realize that the whole diesel gate software issue has been fixed. You can still a new one. Most also don’t realize that it’s really the Porsche Cayenne, which also has the same incredible engine. Reliability, believe it or not, has been excellent. I think it was 3 years ago the one of the magazines actually ranked the Porsche at or near the top of the list for durability and overall ownership experience. That turbo diesel is a friggin nuclear weapon of torque, which is why you want in a mountain setting, and hits at nearly 40 mpg. Comfort for a 160 daily commute, at 6’4? Unbelievably comfortable and supportive. Snow? What Snow?

So my pick - Touareg TDI.
Hmm. Both are part of VAG (Volkswagon-Audi Group) anymore. Used to be PAG (Porsche-Audi Group), that changed some years back as business is always in-motion.

Not surprised then that a Tourareg is fundamentally same as a Cayenne; reminds me of Lamborghini Gallardo and Audi R8 similarities. Big price difference, though. Same company/group, one the halo brand and other a bid more-common, we might say. Volkswagon and "luxury" just doesn't work, like their failed (yet really nice) mongo-sedan of c. ten years ago, competing with the A8 I guess. Nuh uh, no one bought them. Who the hell thought they would, I wonder? Branding is important at that level, rightly or wrongly.

That monster diesel is intriguing in the newer ones, glad it performs. Not sure I see too many downsides to such an engine in terms of highways mileage and towing capability. Diesel is at most more-challenging fuel stops, I'd used an app for that anyway. Just seems like a really good idea for towing, and (maybe) for long commutes.

Funny comments about Toyota and the 4.7L V8 of the 2000s, replaced by the 5.7L in about 2008 on some (all?) models. Certainly the LX470 (then 570) and the Land Cruiser. One engine couldn't get out of its own way, whereas I note the 5.7L in my new-to-me '13 LC scoots right along, with bigger HP and torque (383hp, similar torque I do believe). The uninspiring mileage should bother me I suppose, but oh well.

Owning two Porsche's across seven years, yes they are generally reliable. When my 911s broke or needed something worn out replaced, the bill usually started at $500 and maxed out at $2000. That happened a few times, and I figured...eh, it's a mongo-sports car. Macans and Cayennes, who knows. For a DD, I would personally want a Toyota or Lexus for complete lack of hassle. Not "maintenance free," quite the opposite, I never missed the regular specified service intervals on my Tacoma. As in, "never." But not once did any such maintenance run more than $200, either. And it ran to 120K with ZERO issues other than seat belt springs for $100/each, twice.

So, I bought a Land Cruiser the other week, see other entry on this thread. Wonder if OP needs that Highlander or Acura due to reliability...anything "Volkswagen" out of warranty makes me a bit leery, like my first 911 did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 05:21 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,372,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
IF BIGGER, MORE ROBUST FOR SURE, WITH MORE CAPABILITY BUT MORE BULK: You want 'durable,' as in damn near guaranteed? Five year old Lexus LX570 or Land Cruiser. LX's are a little sleeker and cost more new, Land Cruisers have slightly higher resale due to the cult-like following worldwide. I'm a total fan of both, they're the same chassis with different cosmetics basically. LX is definitely prettier. Toyota is...Toyota, unless one KNOWS what a Land Cruiser is. I've seen exactly one other on my commute, a white one. They look like Highlanders but there is no comparison. Both are $90K new and pretty soft in terms of options and comfort, not to mention ultimate capability.

Land Cruisers that are clean used can be scarce: no one sells them, they're that charismatic and useful IF you're into that paradigm! One turned up a few weeks ago, and miraculously was five miles down the street. It was clean up close as well, so we worked out a deal. Only problem, from OP's perspective: craptastic mileage, about 16-17 on my freeway stop and go commute, average speed across all of it maybe 45mph. Clear Carfax trail of PacNW ownership (= no rust) and obvious frequent maintenance events, on-schedule pretty much. Those are important factors when buying used, a bit of a gamble, but anyone beating on an LX570 or Land Cruiser ...it should be obvious. Nuh uh, I've seen them thrashed and though they'll take it, no machinery functions forever when whipped or neglected. I would be really leery of a NE USA LC or LX570 due to rust potential.

Land Cruisers and LX's run forever. I mean seriously, 300-500K miles w/regular maintenance and a few fixes, especially on the street vs. Africa or Australian Outback. The UN runs them worldwide. Oil sheikhs, likewise. Australian Outback, ditto. I saw little else out in South Africa (Western Cape). US does not get the diesel, unf. 5.7L V8 is pretty quick indeed, at 383hp and even more torque. They plow snow like nobody's business and wheels/parts are cheap and plentiful. In fact I'm going to buy 4x cheap-ass snow's and put them on my garage rack. Should take all of an hour to change all four with a floor jack, when needed.

Land Cruiser is a fun commuter for-sure. That Edge, I'm sure that and even more because it's smaller and nimbler.

Agreed, and we've had Cruisers and an LX but... yeah, they suck a ton of gas and during the months that you don't need AWD, they're still sucking gas needlessly. That said, they run forever but they're also weighty and top heavy. If you do lose control of one, it's hard to get it back under control. Maybe best case is to find a low mileage FJ100 (Pre-2007), and commute in it when the weather is bad and keep another $20-30k car that's good on gas to drive in good weather!

Old 05-09-2019, 07:44 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
For long distance and comfortable rides, I doubt that any of the Subaru and other small SUV's mentioned would be best. Maybe a somewhat small but luxurious mid-size to large AWD vehicle, but not the sardine cans mentioned. Ride a somewhat large SUV for a few hundred miles, and feel the difference. Not making things up; I have sardine cans, but when it comes to long distance driving in comfort, I drive my old 2001 Silverado truck. During the winter months-driving in the interior of Alaska-I place the drive mode to Auto-4WD and keep it there all winter.

Last edited by RayinAK; 05-09-2019 at 08:00 PM..

Old 05-10-2019, 02:01 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,835,458 times
The best performing four wheel or all wheel drive vehicle I have ever driven, and I've driven lots of them for 35 years, has been a 2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio. In very wet conditions, snow or ice it handles better than any Jeep I ever drove. On dry pavement in the dynamic mode it accelerates and corners like an expensive sports car. Sticker price was just over $40k and it was very well equipped. Somewhat lacking in cargo space but certainly more than your average sedan. Looks fantastic too!

Old 05-11-2019, 06:26 AM

128 posts, read 66,107 times
Lots of vehicles have pretty commercials featuring them braving harsh

Old 05-11-2019, 07:13 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieBonVoy View Post
So, I am in the market for a new vehicle and am looking to purchase an AWD/4x4. I have a commute that is 160 miles round trip that experiences all four season. Snow is a factor for about 5 months of the year and I have to travel up, over and through mountains and higher elevations. I have had a sedan for the past 4 years but after getting stuck multiple times this winter(even with snow tires) I want to go AWD/4x4. I am looking for some recommendations on vehicles that are comfortable, long lasting(I maintain my cars), durable, decent gas mileage fit someone tall like myself(6'4). Any recommendations would be great. My budget is between 45-50k max...but I'd love to stay below that.
I've owned the following AWD/4WD suvs:

2009 Subaru Forester
2009 Toyota RAV4
2017 Jeep Renegade

The Rav4 and Forester were good reliable economical vehicles. The Toyota is considerably more comfortable for driving a couple of hours like your commute would require. No discernible difference as far as AWD performance. Both handled snow and ice well.

The Renegade beats both in terms of comfort and AWD performance. Of course, it's 8 years newer and the other two can be expected to have advanced some.

Old 05-11-2019, 07:45 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,519,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Diesel Colorado or Canyon is the answer.
Lots of torque, yet still good on gas. Price is under your budget if you stay away from the Denalis.
They're not full size, but they're real trucks.
He said reliable. Truthfully the diesel isn’t that great. By the time you get done buying all the options you’re reaching full size truck prices. We have Colorado’s at work. They’re ok but way too new to tell the long term reliability. Beds are way too small for real work

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
That sounds like here in the winter.

Without fail about 75-80% of the ditch divers are pickups.
That’s because people tend to believe what the guy below wrote

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsfreegroup View Post
Lots of vehicles have pretty commercials featuring them braving harsh
Yeah those are the guys in the ditches. Jeep imo is one of the best at commercializing their brand. You really think all these Jeep buyers brave the elements on weekends? most Jeeps I see on the road are just pretty Jeeps with not one speck of dirt on those frame rails but they look like they are ready for Armageddon

Last edited by Electrician4you; 05-11-2019 at 08:18 AM..

Old 05-11-2019, 12:24 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
He said reliable. Truthfully the diesel isn’t that great. By the time you get done buying all the options you’re reaching full size truck prices. We have Colorado’s at work. They’re ok but way too new to tell the long term reliability. Beds are way too small for real work

That’s because people tend to believe what the guy below wrote

Yeah those are the guys in the ditches. Jeep imo is one of the best at commercializing their brand. You really think all these Jeep buyers brave the elements on weekends? most Jeeps I see on the road are just pretty Jeeps with not one speck of dirt on those frame rails but they look like they are ready for Armageddon
Where I live at, most of the vehicles in the ditch during the winter months are those that are driven too fast for conditions, or the ones driven by people who lack ice-driving experience, or the ones that don't have the right tires for road conditions. In general, lots (not all) AWD or 4WD vehicles' drivers tend to become over-confident when driving on ice. But given enough time to gain experience, most will be fine. Like a lot of other drivers, I do quite well with a FWD Corolla that wears a set of Blizzak tires during the winter. If the snow is too deep, or when snowing so much that visibility becomes a problem, then I drive a 2001 Silverado truck that has a heavy bed topper (the extra weight at the back helps with rear traction).

Old 05-13-2019, 09:07 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,988,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieBonVoy View Post
So, I am in the market for a new vehicle and am looking to purchase an AWD/4x4. I have a commute that is 160 miles round trip that experiences all four season. Snow is a factor for about 5 months of the year and I have to travel up, over and through mountains and higher elevations. I have had a sedan for the past 4 years but after getting stuck multiple times this winter(even with snow tires) I want to go AWD/4x4. I am looking for some recommendations on vehicles that are comfortable, long lasting(I maintain my cars), durable, decent gas mileage fit someone tall like myself(6'4). Any recommendations would be great. My budget is between 45-50k max...but I'd love to stay below that.
I went with a CX5 GTR, although the Signature is only $2K more, it wasn't worth it for me to consider it. That said, I've been very pleased. I average 26-28mpg, and it's performance is similar to the Porsche Macan, without the expensive maintenance, etc. They are selling for invoice at around $33-34K.

250hp/310tq(@just 2000rpm!) and AWD is the only way they come. Excellent handling in any condition I've driven it in. Front-biased AWD, and even with that much torque down low I can punch it in wet weather with TSC off and it just HOOKS. 0-60 in 6.2, 5-60 in 6.7. Top speed 130mph. Will run on 87 octane-93 octane, although 93 octane gives you more power above 4000rpm (23hp more, total) than 87 octane, they both have the same torque and power under 4K rpm. Handling is VERY crisp for a vehicle with 7.5" ground clearance. Masterfully tuned suspension. (Previously I've owned C6 Z06 and 370Z Sport, so I have not just driven floppy old SUV's) Also, very quiet inside at speed. Supposedly around 65-67dB at 70.

The only maintenance required is oil changes, tires, and belts. The transmission is sealed (I put 106K miles on my last CX5 AWD with zero issues with this), and the diff is only changed once, at 28,800mi if you drive it in dust or tow with it. The engine has a timing chain not a belt. Plugs do need changing every 40K miles though, but they're cake. Nothing else needs servicing and on my last CX5, this proved to be just fine.

I also considered the Stelvio, but Alfa...no thanks. Like you, I need reliable. Looked at the Subaru Forester, but not a fan of the CVT. Also looked at the new RAV4 Hybrid. Pep was severely lacking in comparison, although mpg is insane, I took that hit in exchange for more fun.

Last edited by JWG223; 05-13-2019 at 09:20 AM..

Old 05-13-2019, 09:19 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Where I live at, most of the vehicles in the ditch during the winter months are those that are driven too fast for conditions, or the ones driven by people who lack ice-driving experience, or the ones that don't have the right tires for road conditions. In general, lots (not all) AWD or 4WD vehicles' drivers tend to become over-confident when driving on ice. But given enough time to gain experience, most will be fine. Like a lot of other drivers, I do quite well with a FWD Corolla that wears a set of Blizzak tires during the winter. If the snow is too deep, or when snowing so much that visibility becomes a problem, then I drive a 2001 Silverado truck that has a heavy bed topper (the extra weight at the back helps with rear traction).
I live in Michigan. I enjoy pulling people out of ditches int he winter, it is kind of a hobby. The most common type of vehicle I pull out is - everything. There is not most common. other than the most common 4x4s I find in ditches are suburbans. They are hard to pull out because they are so heavy. I find pickups in the ditch rarely. They are probably the least common.

In non-winter conditions the most common to pull out are sedans. That is because they try to drive through flooding that is too deep for their car. they see the trucks going through and think they can too. Some of them are not happy when I tell them I will throw them the tow strap and the need to wade out and hook it up. sometimes if they open their doors, water comes in. A few told me they would rather just wait for a tow truck.

I have never been stuck in my current truck. The prior one (F150) I got stuck once but it was buried n mud up to the body. Had to drag it out with a dozer. That is when I learned that our front yard turns into quicksand when it is saturated (It is clay not sand, but it had a similar effect).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive