Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you prefer
Lower volume 2 15.38%
Mute volume 0 0%
Alert sound 1 7.69%
Option to choose one of three 10 76.92%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 07:28 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,054 posts, read 80,100,596 times

Advertisements

None of the above, such a feature is not needed. Simply don't blast your music that loudly. I outgrew that when I was about 18.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 08:24 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,160,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
None of the above, such a feature is not needed. Simply don't blast your music that loudly. I outgrew that when I was about 18.

Many driver already have self-inflicted hearing loss so severe that they might not hear sirens at all any more, even with the windows open and the radio broken.

Old 05-15-2019, 11:28 AM

17,466 posts, read 17,280,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Many driver already have self-inflicted hearing loss so severe that they might not hear sirens at all any more, even with the windows open and the radio broken.
Not just self inflicted. Many military veterans have a partial hearing loss or severe tinnitus. I can’t hear certain frequencies and I get tinnitus attacks so bad i can’t hardly hear anything other than the ringing. For those who are deaf they could include a dashboard visual alert.

Old 05-15-2019, 01:11 PM

18,754 posts, read 27,181,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
So in heavy traffic all of the cars on the road will be disabled? How will the EV get through if all the lanes are blocked with disabled cars?

By the time this will be implemented, all cars will be EVs and autonomous (electric vehicles), following orders from the central hub anyway and, EVs, emergency vehicles, will be flying if needed. Likely EV - electric vehicle - multicopters. So not problem at all.

Old 05-15-2019, 01:46 PM

22,807 posts, read 18,101,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
You could have sirens simulcast on a broadcast frequency, with all cars equipped to override the sound system. The louder you turn you speakers, the louder the siren becomes in your car..
Effective range? The positions of BOTH vehicles are constantly changing. Do I need to be aware of an EV 5 blocks away on a different road not even traveling in the same direction? What a complete mess that would be!

Old 05-15-2019, 03:44 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,660,872 times
There's a new device called a Rumbler that projects high-volume, low-frequency sound. It makes cars in its path vibrate in a distinctive way. Its entire raison d'etre is cars that are too well sound-insulated, have loud stereos or drivers with hearing impairment.

I experienced it once during a trial phase. It's... attention-getting.

Old 05-15-2019, 04:41 PM

7,719 posts, read 6,272,715 times
People who run their radios that loud should be required to read the prices for hearing aids, because they will need them.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:39 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,660,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
People who run their radios that loud should be required to read the prices for hearing aids, because they will need them.
You're assuming people who run their radios that loud can read.

Old 05-17-2019, 03:14 PM

91 posts, read 61,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
https://patents.google.com/patent/US20110221610A1/en

This is one example of an idea whose time has come. Today’s factory and aftermarket stereos are louder than ever and today’s vehicles are more sound insulated than ever. Those two things combine to make it virtually impossible to hear emergency vehicle sirens when listening to loud music. The most common devices being tested would sense the siren and either turn down the volume of the stereo, mute the stereo, or sound an alert type sound over the music. I’d question if a radio broadcast siren sound would fake out the sensor or is the sensor an external microphone?

If something like this is put into mass production which would you prefer; turn down volume, mute volume, sound an alert, or the option to select one of the three allowing the vehicle owner to select for themselves. I’ll create a poll after this post.

None of the above. Train people to be better drivers. Don't slap another bandaid on cars and trucks that do something for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive