Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 08:47 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,199,216 times

Advertisements

I have had cars with both leather seats and plastic dashboards and have not seen any impact of sun cracking the dash since vehicles made in the 80's and they sit outside for years. The leather looks unscathed. I do recall older vehicles having cracked dashboards. If you are driving a vehicle, it is outside. That is what they are made for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 10:00 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,698,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
So does everyone who advocates garage-only work somewhere with a covered parking lot? Because your car's going to see a lot more intense sun during the day while you're parked at work than when it's in your garage overnight...

Well, of course there are times when a car will be out and exposed to sun, rain, etc, but that has nothing to do with the fact that the more you can keep it garaged, the better. Even when driving them, they are exposed to many things that can damage the paint and parts.

My daily driver has to sit outside under a tree, while my one car sits in my garage, and my other cars sit inside my shop until I decided to take one of them out. The cars that are kept garaged are much easier to keep clean, and are not exposed to the elements, except when I drive them. My daily, on the other hand, constantly has bird droppings, leaves from trees, and general dirt on it's surface, and will not last as long as the ones I keep garaged.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:14 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
I have had cars with both leather seats and plastic dashboards and have not seen any impact of sun cracking the dash since vehicles made in the 80's and they sit outside for years. The leather looks unscathed. I do recall older vehicles having cracked dashboards. If you are driving a vehicle, it is outside. That is what they are made for.
I have a Ford Fusion that has been sitting out in the south Florida environment since 2007, and the paint and interior are perfectly fine, and I do not even take all that much care of it. My previous other car car sat out for five years and was just fine when I got rid of it. So what ever damage occurs, it is at a pretty slow pace.

Old 05-24-2019, 04:31 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
I’ve seen vehicles a lot newer than that with warped or cracked dashboards. Ford has even had to replace dashboards under warranty on the newest F-150. I think Infiniti and Lexus had some issues with theirs getting a sticky feeling from the material degrading in the sun.

Old 05-24-2019, 05:19 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,417,589 times
I never had a garage and nothing has happened to my vehicles and been driving since the 70’s. And have had allot of vehicles.

Old 05-24-2019, 05:54 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,212,776 times
Default Actually ...

[quote=Rivertowntalk;55253473]I have had cars with both leather seats and plastic dashboards and have not seen any impact of sun cracking the dash since vehicles made in the 80's and they sit outside for years. The leather looks unscathed. I do recall older vehicles having cracked dashboards. If you are driving a vehicle, it is outside. That is what they are made for.[/quote

.... From the car manufacturer's perspective every part of a vehicle has a useful life after which it's prone to fail. Cheaper cars make bigger profits.

For example, I have had the rubber belts under the hood replaced because of cracks, or at a certain age, or failure (fell apart). I have had the pot metal rod holding up the windshield visor crack right off. Or replaced the muffler and tailpipe that rusted out. But other models do not have these problems. Why?

Cars exposed to the elements, weather.

Old 05-24-2019, 07:11 AM

3,637 posts, read 1,698,001 times
Regardless of what people might post, it is only common sense that any car kept out of the rain, sun, etc is going to fare better than one left sitting out. No amount of " I owned a car that sat out for 10 years" will ever refute that fact of life.

Old 05-24-2019, 07:37 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock1015 View Post
Hello,

Been debating this with my S/O every time it starts getting warm. I insist on parking the cars in the garage for various reasons, cooler better security etc. Is there anything else concrete that would be a benefit to putting the car in the garage vs outside? I live in South Carolina where it is starting to get near 95 degrees everyday.
So what else is at stake in the disagreement? If nothing else, getting into a car that's been shaded is more comfortable than getting into one that's been in the sun, so if that alone is not persuasive, there must be other factors at stake.

Old 05-24-2019, 08:55 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
Regardless of what people might post, it is only common sense that any car kept out of the rain, sun, etc is going to fare better than one left sitting out. No amount of " I owned a car that sat out for 10 years" will ever refute that fact of life.
Yes, you should also keep your house out of the rain and sun. Also keep your garage out of the weather. It will last much longer.

I am well aware that had I always garaged my truck it would probably last three or four days longer than it is going to having been parked outside when I am home. I may lost a few days at the end of my rucks life, but I am likely to get rid of it around 250,000 - 300,000 miles, so the lost days will be someone else's problem, not mine.

Old 05-24-2019, 10:42 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,417,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Yes, you should also keep your house out of the rain and sun. Also keep your garage out of the weather. It will last much longer.

I am well aware that had I always garaged my truck it would probably last three or four days longer than it is going to having been parked outside when I am home. I may lost a few days at the end of my rucks life, but I am likely to get rid of it around 250,000 - 300,000 miles, so the lost days will be someone else's problem, not mine.
Yep funny that when i buy anew vehicle no were in the owners manual does it say to only to be kept in a covered structure. Vehicles are made to be driven and parked outside. Some people baby their vehicles more than their home that they live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive