Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 03:31 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,271,829 times

Advertisements

Rental fleets are often bare bone models but they do give you a chance of living with them for more than a test drive. I am currently in a Frontier. People keep wishing for a compact truck that nobody is building but I think the Frontier is coming damn close. Considerably smaller than the "midsize" Ranger. It has everything in the right quantity. Oh, if it has CVT, it's a damn good one because I don't feel a thing. Price wise, it's actually no cheaper than the Tacoma, the supposedly gold standard in this segment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2019, 03:37 PM

949 posts, read 572,604 times
Yes, but mostly what not to buy. I once wrote about a terrible rental experience to Nissan.
I forget which model it was, but it was a compact 4 door that was not worthy of selling in my opinion. The entire vehicle reeked of poor quality.

Old 07-05-2019, 04:51 PM

12,426 posts, read 9,519,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpacked View Post
Yes, but mostly what not to buy.
Yeah, renting always made me glad to return to my Hondas.

Old 07-05-2019, 07:05 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
I too have discovered what not to buy from renting. Far too often the cars were uncomfortable, lacked power, and not fun to drive.

Old 07-05-2019, 07:16 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Yes, drove a Smartcar...........what a scary piece of junk, must avoid.

Old 07-05-2019, 09:54 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,111,972 times
I was all hot on a Chrysler 300 until I drove a nicely equipped one as a rental. Just felt like it drove too "big" for the actual size of the car and was hard for me to see out of. It also had that "short T" goofy gear selector they only used for a few years, which was frustrating to use.

Old 07-05-2019, 10:08 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Mostly for the negative.

I thought I really wanted a Prius - until I rented one. Really disappointed. So I rented one again to be sure. Still really disappointed. Just to be certain, I rented one for two weeks. OK not just disappointed. i hate that thing.

Rented a Cube. Went back and got a different car after five blocks.

Another time a Montero - I did not return it early, but I really disliked it.

Most of the time, I am renting a car I would never consider buying.

IN a reverse instance, I rented a Grand Caravan and liked it a lot. So I convinced my daughter to buy a used one during college - mistake. Still they are pretty inexpensive, so I suggested she just try again. Probably got a bad one. Bigger mistake. No excuse at all for the third one. At least it did not last very long, so I no longer had to work on it daily.

The rental cars are always stripped down versions of any car I might even think about, so they are always poor examples for me to try. I used to advocate renting a car you are considering before buying one, but no longer. They are consistently disappointing. Just rent something to move you from here to there. It is less expensive and not as disappointing if you are not expecting a good car.

Old 07-06-2019, 01:53 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Nope. I already stayed away from Nissan. Driving a few of them just validated my decision.

Old 07-06-2019, 02:49 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Rental fleets are often bare bone models but they do give you a chance of living with them for more than a test drive. I am currently in a Frontier. People keep wishing for a compact truck that nobody is building but I think the Frontier is coming damn close. Considerably smaller than the "midsize" Ranger. It has everything in the right quantity. Oh, if it has CVT, it's a damn good one because I don't feel a thing. Price wise, it's actually no cheaper than the Tacoma, the supposedly gold standard in this segment.

Once you get pst the economy models, most rental cars are not "stripped down" models. The rental cars do not like to purchase the stripped down models as they are very hard to sell at a reasonable price when they ship them off to the auction or to local dealerships.

As for the Nissans, I cannot believe how poorly the transmissions handle in cars with as few as 35k miles. The only worst transmissions are the Ford dual clutch transmissions on the Fiesta and Focus models.

======================

And to answer your original question, I will not purchase a particular vehicle model until I have taken a 3-5k rental to determine if I really like the model.

Old 07-06-2019, 04:10 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,209,487 times
Every time I drive a rental, it convinces me that I never want to own a car made in a later model year than my 15-year-old driver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive