Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 07:23 PM

146 posts, read 73,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
the point is exactly what I said. people don't need them. people on here and trying to convince me of all the reasons they do.
People buy things all the time they don't need. I still don't get your point. Where do you draw the line judging what isn't needed? Where do you draw the line where a want isn't worthy of paying for? and who are you to make that judgment for anyone other than yourself?

Old 07-10-2019, 07:24 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
so you needed an SUV once in 25 years. thank you for proving my point.
Mulch doesn’t last 25 years. It’s pretty much a yearly thing.

Old 07-10-2019, 07:38 PM

5,770 posts, read 3,219,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
I'm still in the process of getting a drivers license but I usually prefer SUVs and trucks over sedans because I like sitting up higher. Anyone else?

Seeing the road ahead is an advantage. For where you live I recommend a Toyota RAV4 hybrid with all wheel drive or a Subaru Forester. Both of these cars are excellent in up to eight inches of snow.

Old 07-10-2019, 07:59 PM

13,643 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
it's like listening to people shopping for muscle cars trying to justify 500 horsepower. why can't you all just admit that you want an SUV. the average person does not NEED one.
The core issue is that the person who bought the 500-hp muscle car will have to fend off accusations that it's a puerile and profligate indulgence... that's unnecessary, extravagant and "compensation" for some inadequacy. The pickup/SUV driver meanwhile did something eminently sensible and wise. Well, the muscle-car at least has the partial redemption of being domestic and catering to the much-vaunted "working class". Replace "muscle car" with "sports car", and even that partial-redemption is forfeited. Then the criticism becomes, "Hey, look at that self-indulgent jerk! His fancy Italian whatever-it-is gets 14 mpg, and he can't even carry any mulch!"

Old 07-10-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
The core issue is that the person who bought the 500-hp muscle car will have to fend off accusations that it's a puerile and profligate indulgence... that's unnecessary, extravagant and "compensation" for some inadequacy. The pickup/SUV driver meanwhile did something eminently sensible and wise. Well, the muscle-car at least has the partial redemption of being domestic and catering to the much-vaunted "working class". Replace "muscle car" with "sports car", and even that partial-redemption is forfeited. Then the criticism becomes, "Hey, look at that self-indulgent jerk! His fancy Italian whatever-it-is gets 14 mpg, and he can't even carry any mulch!"
Muscle car owners don't "fend off accusations". They just enjoy their rides. Same as you, in what I consider a ridiculously uncomfortable 2 seater with a manual transmission - which I consider a total waste of energy. Do you care what I think of your car choice? neither does anyone care what you think of theirs.

Last edited by winston196; 07-10-2019 at 09:18 PM..

Old 07-10-2019, 08:24 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston196 View Post
Do you care what I think of your car choice? neither does anyone care what you think of theirs.

That's right.

I buy what I like and I don't care what anybody else thinks.

You buy what you like and it's none of my business.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:11 PM

13,643 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston196 View Post
... Do you care what I think of your car choice? neither does anyone care what you think of theirs.
Actually, I do care. If I had absolutely zero concern, I'd have no reason to participate in this thread. The reason that I care is that if my choices are regarded as being fringe and unorthodox, my options as a consumer eventually become constricted. So, my mission is to evangelize others, to come around to my way of thinking. I feel it to be incumbent, as it were, to "spread the good news" of light, agile sports-cars. This is useful not merely in the psychology of having my choices validated by the good opinion of others, but in enjoying a potentially greater selection of sports-cars on the market, if more consumers come around to my viewpoint. Of course, this is a rather presumptuous and Quixotic hope... but that's why it's called "hope".

Old 07-10-2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Actually, I do care. If I had absolutely zero concern, I'd have no reason to participate in this thread. The reason that I care is that if my choices are regarded as being fringe and unorthodox, my options as a consumer eventually become constricted. So, my mission is to evangelize others, to come around to my way of thinking. I feel it to be incumbent, as it were, to "spread the good news" of light, agile sports-cars. This is useful not merely in the psychology of having my choices validated by the good opinion of others, but in enjoying a potentially greater selection of sports-cars on the market, if more consumers come around to my viewpoint. Of course, this is a rather presumptuous and Quixotic hope... but that's why it's called "hope".
The typical suv and truck driver isn't going to bend themselves into a pretzel and go to a sportscar just because of your posts. Sorry to break it to ya.

Old 07-11-2019, 04:13 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
I used to own both... a 2001 Miata and a 1999 Chevy Tahoe.
It was an outstanding combination that could pretty much do it all.

Old 07-11-2019, 05:51 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,411,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
That's right.

I buy what I like and I don't care what anybody else thinks.

You buy what you like and it's none of my business.
You are so correct but some people don’t see it that way they try to promote their choice of what vehicles the automakers should build, they keep saying that the automakers that stop making sedans are stupid. Funny that they think they know more about the automotive industry than the ones who actually know what is selling and what’s not. There’s Gladys Kravitz in every discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive