Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 08:16 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
The domestic automakers have the full-size pickup market to themselves because they offer different types of full-size pickups. Do you see Toyota making a Tundra 250 or a 350 nope. The American pickups will always outsell the foreign pickups in the full-size market. And the new Ranger will give the Toyota Tacoma some trouble because Ford know how to build a pickup.
F-250/350 is mostly aimed at fleet sales and farmers. Government agencies will always buy domestic trucks because they fear a backlash from using tax dollars to buy a “foreign” brand.

Toyota is is doing the right thing by focusing on the average homeowner, hunter, etc.. My Tundra can do anything any other half ton truck can do. I use my truck for a lot of things, but a 3/4 ton would be overkill for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 08:23 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
Rememer, when back in the day domestic automakers had the car/sedan market all to themselves with some Asian cars around. Look where they are now, how many domestic sedan you see for each Camry, Accord, Civic, Corolla, plus the Koreans (KIA / Hyundai). Don't be too comfortable... Asians are persistent.
They used to dominate the small truck market too, but we see how that worked out.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:05 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,409,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
F-250/350 is mostly aimed at fleet sales and farmers. Government agencies will always buy domestic trucks because they fear a backlash from using tax dollars to buy a “foreign” brand.

Toyota is is doing the right thing by focusing on the average homeowner, hunter, etc.. My Tundra can do anything any other half ton truck can do. I use my truck for a lot of things, but a 3/4 ton would be overkill for me.
Not around we’re i live i see plenty of F250 being driven by regular drivers because many have big boats and campers. In fact my friend has a new F250 Powerstroke and he uses it for his daily driver. In fact many baby boomers are buying them to tow their big campers because they are retired and are traveling more now.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:25 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Default Is truck brand popularity regional?

I think a lot of it has to do with the local dealerships.

A good Dodge dealer will sell lots of Rams, a good Toyota dealer sells lots of Tundras and so on. Here locally, I see more F150s than anything. Plenty of Chevys and Rams around, though. Tundras are kinda common, but Titans are rare.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:34 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,525,310 times
In Pittsburgh, F150 is the most popular. Then Ram followed by Chevy. We really don't see many Titan's. Especially, the new model.

Old 07-10-2019, 10:04 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,689,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
In Colorado, the turbo-diesels are very popular.

I see mostly F-250 Power strokes and RAM-Cummins.

They install hot rod engine control units and barrel down the interstate at 90 mph in the left lane.

When I see that RAM grille in my rear view mirror, I move over.
You mean in the Front Range. All kinds of trucks are popular in CO, but I don’t see turbodiesels more than other engines, and I live in an area where trucks are more popular than they are in the Front Range. (Yes, such places exist.)

Old 07-10-2019, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I am in the Southwest this summer and see more Nissan Titans and Frontiers in a week than a whole year back home. Titans are a rarity in the Northeast but around here you see them as often as Silverados. I would say even more than the Tundra. F-150 is still the king though. Tacoma definitely holds its own.
I live in SW CO and am surprised to see as many Titans and Frontiers as I do, albeit fewer by far than the Big Three models. There are two Nissan dealerships within 80 miles, which helps, but the nearest town only has Big Three dealerships, and many of the trucks are in government or private company fleets, as well as used for hauling livestock trailers and heavy equipment, thus ruling out any midsize trucks.

There appear to be more Fords, followed by Chevys, and then Dodges. However, all of them are very, very common here, along with both the full- and mid-size Toyota and Nissan trucks. Oddly, Chevy Colorado is not common, and I think I have seen only one new Ranger that was not just sitting on a lot.

Our household represents trucks from Ford, Nissan, and Chevy, in increasing order of age. I must say that the Chevy, despite being less than wonderful in handling, has held up really well despite its age and miles. Lots of good roadtrip memories.

Last edited by pikabike; 07-10-2019 at 10:34 AM..

Old 07-10-2019, 11:05 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,579,376 times
If Toyota and Nissan want to be competitive in the North American market, they need to up their game. Both are a decade or more behind the big 3 in terms of technology and capacity. And they need to start competing in the ¾ and one ton segments. If you want to tow a large trailer or 5th wheel, the big 3 are your only options at this time.

Old 07-10-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
If Toyota and Nissan want to be competitive in the North American market, they need to up their game. Both are a decade or more behind the big 3 in terms of technology and capacity. And they need to start competing in the ¾ and one ton segments. If you want to tow a large trailer or 5th wheel, the big 3 are your only options at this time.
OR they could start producing small trucks again, along with midsize. They don’t have to compete with the Big Three in the giant truck segment.

Old 07-10-2019, 11:33 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,409,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Hers the 2020 F350 King Ranch turbo Diesel.

https://youtu.be/3hCpG5jVhUU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive