Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 10:12 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,608,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
problem is they used to be the go between SUV that is very capable for towing and carrying 7 passengers but now they enter the same price as the full-size Chevy Yukon/Tahoe and Ford Expedition that both have alot more room and can tow/hual a larger payload.

Plus the fist gen Durango's looked really good and shared the same mid-sized truck platform as the Dakota they were esp. nice in the 5.9L V-8 R/T trim(s)
The first gen Durangos really were nice SUVs. I sometimes drove one as part of my work. They combined the more compact outer size of the old Cherokee with better handling. People in the Front Range were snapping them up. I liked the looks of that gen of Dakotas, too.

Unfortunately, they never much improved certain other important traits, namely reliability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 10:23 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,318,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
That’s the FULLSIZE pickup market, not all pickups.
Yes the full-size market The 2020 Jeep Gladiator ranked #2 in Compact Pickup Trucks. Currently the Jeep Gladiator has a score of 8.5 out of 10 which is based on our evaluation of 9 pieces of research and data elements using various.

Old 07-11-2019, 11:01 AM

1,833 posts, read 811,289 times
Decided to waste some time and use google street view along a few main streets. Here are the most common models and how many of them there were (not include company vehicles).
1ST: F-150 - 104
2ND: Silverado 1500 - 73
3RD: Ram 1500 - 47
4TH: Tundra - 29
5TH: Sierra 1500 - 27
6TH: F-250 - 21
7TH: Tacoma - 15
8TH: Silverado 2500 - 10
9TH: Ram 2500 - 8
10TH: Titan - 7
This was in a suburb of the D/FW area.

Old 07-11-2019, 12:37 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,392,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
problem is they used to be the go between SUV that is very capable for towing and carrying 7 passengers but now they enter the same price as the full-size Chevy Yukon/Tahoe and Ford Expedition that both have alot more room and can tow/hual a larger payload.

Plus the fist gen Durango's looked really good and shared the same mid-sized truck platform as the Dakota they were esp. nice in the 5.9L V-8 R/T trim(s)
OH YES THEY DID, TOO! *drool* I remember watching MTV Cribs and Dee Snider from the band Twisted Sister had a Shelby 360 Durango. Wheels were a little tacky but nothing an R/T swap wouldn't cure. Mine's a 1999 SLT, with about 280k miles, original engine and transmission. Neither rebuilt. I'm not overzealous on maintenance. I run synthetic and change it about every 10,000. Brakes and tires are just done "as needed". I've been forgetful with changing brake, power steering, coolant. One thing I did spend on was the front end. I took it to the family-owned 4x4 shop local to me, replaced the ball joints, tie rod ends, and hubs with mostly Moog parts. So there's not the excessive wear and steering misalignment you'd expect in a vehicle that old. Bilsteins are next

Anyways

Certain subtleties have occurred in the past. 5 years (?)... not just in the market, but in how both the public and rental car agencies perceive these vehicles. The Tahoe and Suburban are considered, by some rental car companies as a "luxury" SUV. The Durango is not. The Explorer and Expedition are not. I think this began with the 2014 GM SUV's post face lift. They just reached a point where so much came standard, and the base price was so high, that they sort of unofficially entered a new segment.

Old 07-11-2019, 10:12 PM

204 posts, read 179,824 times
I only count trucks doing truck things
Construction sites
Towing work trailers
Loaded with materials tailgate down
Fords Chevys Rams in that order

Any thing else is a short stature male with the latest smart phone
Home Depot Lowe’s run huge Ford F-350 dualies with the one bag of peat moss
Weekend tow the boat
Big wheel, Chrome stack, extra lights showboats

That’s where the imports stand out and American brands with names in foot high letters on tailgate or back windows

Old 07-12-2019, 12:57 AM

24,306 posts, read 25,811,010 times
Top selling trucks by state chart.

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2017/0...-by-state.html

Old 07-12-2019, 05:31 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,318,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Now you can see why the F150 has been the best selling vehicle in the country for over 30 years in a row.

Old 07-12-2019, 05:55 AM

7,129 posts, read 9,207,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notrhj View Post

Any thing else is a short stature male with the latest smart phone
Home Depot Lowe’s run huge Ford F-350 dualies with the one bag of peat moss
Weekend tow the boat
Big wheel, Chrome stack, extra lights showboats

On a recent visit I watched my 2 year old grandson proudly holding up his toy F-250 exclaiming "Truck!"

Those showboats are the same for the now 35 year old owners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive