Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2019, 02:53 PM

3,144 posts, read 1,600,475 times

Advertisements

I have a well maintained 2004 Volkswagen Passat with 135,000 miles, drive locally. Our trusted mechanic told me the motor mounts needed to be replaced when the car was in for inspection. When I drove the car after the repair, a statically noise starts and continues whenever I am at a stop and the car is idling and the noise stops when the car is in drive. I returned the car and the mechanic acknowledged the noise and said some times other parts get out of alignment since the old motor mount was hanging and he tightened things up.

I still have the statically noise problem but do I keep returning it to the mechanic? He says the car is safe to drive so it's the annoyance factor of listening to this noise that I didn't have before the repair. On the other hand, I don't want to incur additional expense to remedy the problem as the motor mount repair was expensive enough.

What do you feel is the mechanics responsibility?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 05:56 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,592,838 times
What is STATICALLY NOISE?

There is STATIC noise coming from speakers, but it has nothing to do with engine mounts.

And "parts do not get out of alignment" as engine sags. All engine components are solid mounted to the power train, that being engine and transmission. So as it all sags down as one piece - so it does return to normal position after mounts replacement.

Old 07-10-2019, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
What is STATICALLY NOISE?

There is STATIC noise coming from speakers, but it has nothing to do with engine mounts.

And "parts do not get out of alignment" as engine sags. All engine components are solid mounted to the power train, that being engine and transmission. So as it all sags down as one piece - so it does return to normal position after mounts replacement.
Thanks for your response. It's an odd sound and I don't know how to describe it other than similar to static heard from a radio but it is not from speakers and it is from the front of the car.

My question is does the mechanic have a responsibility to continue to trouble shoot it since it occurred after the engine mount repair? He acknowledged hearing the noise but just left it that he made sure everything was tightened. I just don't know how far to pursue this.

Old 07-11-2019, 03:35 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,248,615 times
If the motor mounts, in particular the dogbone mount, are replaced with ones that's a little stiffer, then more engine vibrations will be transmitted to the chassis. And there could be more noise, especially in neutral or park, but not especially noticeable while driving.

Old 07-11-2019, 03:43 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
Trusted mechanic should be able to isolated the noise.
If he/she can't find it.

Find another shop. Or a Volkswagen dealer.

Old 07-11-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Trusted mechanic should be able to isolated the noise.
If he/she can't find it.

Find another shop. Or a Volkswagen dealer.
Had bad experience with Volkswagen Dealer and another independent shop. I am sure Volkswagen dealer would charge who knows what to locate and fix noise. Other than this incident, I never had a problem. Most times passes car for inspection and rarely recommends repairs. I guess I'll talk to him again.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:50 AM

1,002 posts, read 917,839 times
Might I take a guess and suggest the "statically noise" you're hearing may be something vibrating/rattling? A lot of old cars have plastic and/or metal pieces that vibrate and rattle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive