Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 01:02 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASEPTYMINGUMFIGHTY View Post
... and there is no such thing as a minivan tire. They are no different than any other car tire. Just happened that your parents own a Honda Odyssey, but all passenger car tires are essentially the same.
Right. For example the 2018 Odyssey sits on 235/60R18 tires unless it is the Elite version which rides on 235/55R19 tires. You can get this size from at least a dozen manufactures all with a different look to the tire. If you are saying that you like the look of the Odyssey tire, which one? Is it the one that came with the mini van when it was new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 01:35 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Very recently have I developed an interest in tire design and tire manufacturing

Now granted I haven't read or watched a lot of content on the essence behind tire engineering and tire manufacturing

But I do enjoy looking sometimes at the certain constructions of various tires, especially thicker, wider and larger tires. I don't know why, but minivan tires fascinate me the most in terms of design and construction

That being said, is this career path worth it? Which tire brand is the most competitive in the market? I am looking at a tie between Bridgestone and Good Year

Thnx
You have a very unusual career interest for your age but I must say that seeking career advice in anonymous social media may be a good way to become discouraged. You should probably try to speak to real people in the tire manufacturing business and let them know of your interest. One never knows when you may run across an established person who will be willing and able to mentor or advice you. Not that I was seeking career help but I once spoke for an hour with "Corky" Coker on the telephone simply by accident when I was looking for antique car tires. A very nice fellow.

Being only a consumer of tires, about all I can offer is to wish you the best of luck. Doing something we love as a career is not an impossibility in America.

Old 07-15-2019, 03:40 PM

17,210 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Almost lol, but I thought I would ask while I can because I am always in a dilemma for a career choice
Do you want to found a tire company of your own (very difficult verging on impossible) or do you want to get a good STEM degree and then go to work for an existing tire manufacturer (quite practical plan)?

Ideally, go to college somewhere near a tire plant (Not all are in Ohio, Michelin has at least one in South Carolina) and see if you can't get an internship over one or more summers.

One general warning is that most jobs are not exactly as they appear from the outside, and Hollywood distorts jobs (particularly being a cop) beyond recognition in the name of being more entertaining. My point being that if you try the job and don't actually like it, you can change your aspirations, not unusual.

Old 07-15-2019, 06:51 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,431,151 times
Low volume starting out you have to immediately release a premium product. Minivan tires are not it.

All the value tires are either imported or locked down by manufacturers securing all available production capacity at a guaranteed rate.

If you're gonna fail, fail due to unforeseen circumstances.

What are your ideas for pitching your product as superior to what's on the market now?

Old 07-15-2019, 07:11 PM

17,210 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
It would be easier to get an education in chemical engineering or process engineering, or a degree in business. Position yourself to become part of a tire manufacture. Work your way up into the C suite. Do what you can to become the President and CEO of the company.

I would study the current crop of tire company CEO's and see what they did to get where they are.

For example Richard J. Kramer is a CPA and worked his way up to the top spot at Goodyear

Gordon Knapp has a MBA and worked his way up to run Firestone.

There are a lot of people working at tire companies who never make it to the "C" suite, yet IMHO still have very decent careers.

Some people are better at technical problem solving than they are at managing people.

Not saying anything against "aiming high", just that CEO is not the only worthy target. Being "that senior engineer" who can solve an issue with the tires themselves, or with manufacture, that no one else can figure out, is also a worthy career goal.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:54 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,962,528 times
I might think more along the lines of becoming a defense contractor. The scorpion just can't seem to quit stinging. Steady consumption of expensive supplies.

Old 07-16-2019, 08:40 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
There are a lot of people working at tire companies who never make it to the "C" suite, yet IMHO still have very decent careers.

Some people are better at technical problem solving than they are at managing people.

Not saying anything against "aiming high", just that CEO is not the only worthy target. Being "that senior engineer" who can solve an issue with the tires themselves, or with manufacture, that no one else can figure out, is also a worthy career goal.
I completely agree with you on this. Many amazing people shoot for the stars and hit the moon. They still have amazing careers, accomplish a lot at what they do, and can say at the end of the day that they made it in life without joining the C suite. Many more never hit the moon but still land in very comfortable positions. The majority end up finding something that they are amazing at and stay right where they are.

Old 07-16-2019, 12:09 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
The majority end up finding something that they are amazing at and stay right where they are.
That's me... that senior guy who's had the same job for 27 years.
I have no interest in being a manager or having anyone working for me.
They just give me projects and let me run with them, which I will do until I retire sometime in the 2020s.

Old 07-18-2019, 01:17 PM

3,255 posts, read 1,717,739 times
Neither of my parents ever owned an Odyssey FYI

Old 07-20-2019, 08:28 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,455,055 times
I don't think OP could compete with Michelin, Goodyear, Firestone, or Yokohama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive