Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 12:06 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,580,964 times

Advertisements

I just paid.....Oh wait a minute I don't buy gasoline or diesel.

I get "great gas mileage" from my New Balance sneakers hitting the pavement

I really do feel for all of you who are forced to drive long distances just to get to work so to keep the job you have.

Thankfully I do have mass transit options (mostly buses) as I live closeby to NYC - most of the time I walk.

I gave up my car in March 2007 as I saw the $$$ costing writing on the proverbial wall - I guess I'm no longer a "chick" magnet

As of yesterday the price of Unleaded Regular averaged between $335.9 to $339.9/gallon in my neck of the woods and I'll find out this evening if it went up again when I walk by those same gasoline stations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 12:24 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
Is it just me ? I've noticed lately all the "serviceless station" owners and operators are wearing a big smile on their face.
Yes, it's just you. Service station owners hate high gas prices, and here's why: their margins on gas sales are razor-thin, sometimes even a loss-leader. And contrary to popular belief, they can't just set their prices where they want because competition at the retail level is cut-throat. In fact it's so cut-throat that it's actually illegal in some states to sell gasoline at a loss. Gas stations make their money on the soda and junk-food and ancillaries that people buy incidental to filling up. (That's why they also hate pay-at-the-pump and they'd rather not have it, but the market has forced their hand on that issue.) Their margins are much higher on that stuff. And people are a lot less likely to walk in and buy discretionary items after spending $62 to fill up than after they've spent $34 to fill up.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:25 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,745,539 times
Mass-transit cannot work in the United States, we are simply too large and live scattered. A much better way is increased automation and nationwide high-speed internet. Commuting is so stupid and needs to be eliminated. The solution is to get rid of zoning and stop creating real-estate bubbles. The people who actually produce tangible goods need to live near their factories, and office workers, as well as service professionals like doctors and lawyers can work from home or close to home. Commuting just makes no sense and is a recent phenomenon enabled by super-cheap energy.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:28 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,948,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Mass-transit cannot work in the United States, we are simply too large and live scattered. A much better way is increased automation and nationwide high-speed internet. Commuting is so stupid and needs to be eliminated. The solution is to get rid of zoning and stop creating real-estate bubbles. The people who actually produce tangible goods need to live near their factories, and office workers, as well as service professionals like doctors and lawyers can work from home or close to home. Commuting just makes no sense and is a recent phenomenon enabled by super-cheap energy.
Mass transit doesn't work in rural areas, but most Americans live in urban and suburban areas. With tweaking of our land development policies, we could encourage more transit-oriented development. Telecommuting will help but won't eliminate the need for many or most people to commute for work.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:25 PM

692 posts, read 3,141,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Yes, it's just you. Service station owners hate high gas prices, and here's why: their margins on gas sales are razor-thin, sometimes even a loss-leader. And contrary to popular belief, they can't just set their prices where they want because competition at the retail level is cut-throat. In fact it's so cut-throat that it's actually illegal in some states to sell gasoline at a loss. Gas stations make their money on the soda and junk-food and ancillaries that people buy incidental to filling up. (That's why they also hate pay-at-the-pump and they'd rather not have it, but the market has forced their hand on that issue.) Their margins are much higher on that stuff. And people are a lot less likely to walk in and buy discretionary items after spending $62 to fill up than after they've spent $34 to fill up.

Your very correct on your reply except for one thing. I live in a remote area in a small town and the stations here dance to there own drummer. Not the choices of the larger towns. "They gotcha"

Cheers,
Silverfox

Old 04-24-2008, 08:35 PM

33,532 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Better get ready for gas prices to exceed $8.50 per gallon by 2012.

Better get ready for $2.25 gas (http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=469426 - broken link)

Old 04-24-2008, 09:02 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,021,695 times
Default $2.25/Ltr.

Roughly the same size as a quart-which means 10 bucks a gallon-in Canada. Switching to motorcycle soon.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:47 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,834,932 times
Today, "cheap gas" in metro Atlanta is about $3.50 Average is about $3.57. Some stations, however, have gas around $3.60s or $3.70s. This is absolutely ridiculous.

Old 04-26-2008, 02:04 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,421,443 times
Gas here in Concord, NC is 3.51 at Bj's before I went inside. I came outside less than 45 minutes later and it had gone up to $3.54!!!! Other stations are are $3.64. In Miami, its at $3.80

Old 04-26-2008, 03:21 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,673,674 times
I was at BJ's this morning in Northern Virginia and there must have 30 cars waiting in line for gas. Heck, it's only about 10 cents cheaper there!

What's the average fill-up....10-20 gallons? I can't see sitting there for a half hour to save a whopping dollar or two!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive