Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: DO YOU HATE TRAFFIC
YES 102 77.86%
NO 29 22.14%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 01:08 PM

3,533 posts, read 12,304,281 times

Advertisements

I hate traffic too. i wish everybody would just get off the road when i travel.
LOL HA HA HA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 02:12 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,472,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
LOL HA HA HA
Yea that's why I was lookin at movin to a place like Montana or somethin

Old 05-07-2008, 02:25 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Btw I like this thread,could we have a rant thread like this all the time?
I could rant about traffic every day, too! Can't decide if it's cathartic, or if it contributes to my stress level.

I never minded traffic much until I moved to Philadelphia, where a commute of 13 miles takes me 35 to 40 minutes. The traffic systems here are so ridiculously antiquated and inadequate. In Cincinnati my only gripe was the people who would cheerfully slam on their brakes creating a chain reaction tie-up on I-75 just to let a car merge onto the freeway. Well, and snow's effect on traffic there just makes you shake your head -- one snowy morning it took me two hours to get downtown via Columbia Parkway, less than 10 miles. Oy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFRRACING View Post
LOL HA HA HA
Agreed. Or, if everyone were to drive the way I do, there would be no problems!

Old 05-07-2008, 03:02 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,472,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I could rant about traffic every day, too! Can't decide if it's cathartic, or if it contributes to my stress level.

I never minded traffic much until I moved to Philadelphia, where a commute of 13 miles takes me 35 to 40 minutes. The traffic systems here are so ridiculously antiquated and inadequate.
Yep that's Philly alright

No I think ranting is a good way to vent where we'd otherwise hurt others or ourselves

Old 05-07-2008, 03:57 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,698,094 times
While traffic is chaotic at almost all times of the day (I'm in Denver), I don't mind it all that much. It's the one time of day I can be alone without conversation, ringing phones or a computer screen. Sure, I'm joined by 400 million other drivers, but I just roll the window up, turn on some music and relax. There's really nothing else to do. I go with the flow of traffic on most occasions - I don't drive slower than the speed limit and I rarely go more than 5mph over. I just blend in with the traffic. I, too, have other things to worry about. I'm not going to allow rush hour to impact me in that way.

I would utilize public transportation, however, I live in a rural area where public transportation is not readily accessible. I would have to drive half-way to work (my one-way commute is 28 miles) to even get to a good Park-n-Ride, then wait 10 minutes for a bus that's already over-crowded and then get dropped off 10 blocks from my building and hike the rest of the way. It's quicker to drive.

The most memorable drive thus far was several years ago. It was the first snowfall of the season, although it wasn't terribly significant. It began around 2:00pm and continued into the evening. By 5:00pm (when I get off), the roads were sheets of ice and no one went anywhere quickly. It took me over an hour to travel 8 blocks to I-25. I remember sitting through 14 rotations of one traffic signal without budging an inch. Once I reached I-25, traffic was crawling, but it was moving. I'm always thankful for moving traffic, even if it's only 4mph - and especially with super slick roads. I hate stopping when there's ice on the road.

Anyway, by the time I got to my exit, it was almost 8:00pm and I had never had to pee so bad in my life. I had already laid the seat as far back as I could, as I feared my bladder would soon fail me. Fortunately, there is a Little League baseball diamond at this exit and, because it was winter, the parking lot lights were not on. It took 15 minutes to navigate the off-ramp and pull into the lot. The unfortunate part was that the off-ramp was directly over the lot and drivers could see my every move. I decided that was the least of my worries and promptly hobbled out of my truck (there was NO way I could let it go sitting down) and emptied onto the tree in one of those parking lot island things. I got a couple of honks (I think people understood) in the 5 minutes it took to get it all out.

The moral of the story is that you should ALWAYS pee before you leave work. You never know when you might get stuck in traffic for 4 hours and have to pull over into a baseball field parking lot and pee all over a tree in front of an off-ramp full of other drivers who are jealous that they didn't think of it first.

Old 05-10-2008, 04:19 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Just another reason I'd rather walk than drive...

Old 05-11-2008, 08:30 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times
I don't mind driving in "Traffic", as long as it moves at the posted speed limit. Traffic that's stopped on a freeway.. well, I don't know of anybody that enjoys sitting in stop and go traffic on a freeway. You also have to remember that you are part of that traffic.

The only thing that bothers me is traffic that's stopped on a freeway for no reason, where you know you're supposed to be going at the posted speed limit, but it's stopped and there aren't any accidents. It's usually because of very slow drivers way up ahead that slow down everybody else for miles behind them. If you're on a freeway, KEEP MOVING at least the posted speed limit!

I also always wonder why people like to slow down or stop, and look at every minor fender bender accidents that are on the side of the freeway and they're not obstructing traffic flow. Rubberneckers - Again, there's nothing to look at, KEEP MOVING!

Old 05-11-2008, 08:43 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,999,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post

I also always wonder why people like to slow down or stop, and look at every minor fender bender accidents that are on the side of the freeway and they're not obstructing traffic flow. Rubberneckers - Again, there's nothing to look at, KEEP MOVING!
Yep, accidents breed more accidents with all the geeks a-gawking.

Old 05-11-2008, 01:03 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,532,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Yep, accidents breed more accidents with all the geeks a-gawking.
I rather like the idea New Jersey has, they bring out large panels and set them up so passing drivers can't "rubberneck"!

Old 05-11-2008, 06:58 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,620,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marodi View Post
IMO, too slow is more dangerous, sicne it pisses people off and forces them to get pissed off and drive more dangerously and aggressively.
Sorry - I don't think it FORCES them to do anything. They're already aggressive and easily pissed off before they get behind the wheel - it's just that the ton of metal around them makes them think they're tough guys.

It's an excuse to act like a jerk, that's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive