Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2009, 10:29 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,131,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruia View Post
Here you go; “Fuel-economy gain of 20 to 30 percent” it’s called a hydrogen-boosted gas engine. It takes the hydrogen from gas. It’s proof that the automakers know about this technology and rather use gas to add Hydrogen. Is this because it will not freeze? How much energy does it take more or less then a Hydrogen generator? It says 75 watts, for how much hyd does it make?
[SIZE=2][/SIZE][SIZE=2]http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/the-hydrogen-boosted-gasoline-engine-cga.htm[/SIZE]
OK, this is something quite different. For one, it uses gasoline instead of water because it is much, much, much easier to separate out the hydrogen -- it is a hydrocarbon after all, and separating hydrogen is one of the processes of burning hydrocarbons (though in this case the hydrogen immediately bonds with oxygen to form water). The engine also uses completely different calibration. Finally, it's also a fundamentally different process in that it's just an improved and more efficient way to release the energy from the primary energy source, namely the gasoline, whereas the HHO systems are a secondary process that requires energy input from the primary process, and creates an energy loss in the process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 11:11 AM

880 posts, read 2,343,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
OK, this is something quite different. For one, it uses gasoline instead of water because it is much, much, much easier to separate out the hydrogen -- it is a hydrocarbon after all, and separating hydrogen is one of the processes of burning hydrocarbons (though in this case the hydrogen immediately bonds with oxygen to form water). The engine also uses completely different calibration. Finally, it's also a fundamentally different process in that it's just an improved and more efficient way to release the energy from the primary energy source, namely the gasoline, whereas the HHO systems are a secondary process that requires energy input from the primary process, and creates an energy loss in the process.
Um, they both require energy input from the primary process.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:51 AM

39 posts, read 85,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn View Post
This is a great link, Ruia, and goes a long way toward clearing up some of the murkiness of this subject. The author of the article, Bob Brooks, who is a graduate engineer and member of the SAE, apparently has extensive knowledge and history in the automotive field researching and working on fuel economy issues. So his article is informative and seems quite encouraging.

I do note, however, a slight difference between what I think you are saying, and what he says. You say:What he is saying is [emphasis is mine]: So according to the author you've cited this is emerging technology. To make a blanket claim the manufacturers are refusing to do something they've known about for some time is patently false and unfair. If you want to say in your opinion they are moving too slowly on this is another matter, but it is obviously a technology that while promising, is still under development. Remember, the lead times needed for mfgs to make model changes can be brutal. My advice is to give them a little time, but that's up to you.

One other point. If you read the entire piece the author also says: Did you get that? The author thinks HHO is probably only going to be a temporary fix until fuel celled vehicles are rolled out in the future. Interesting. He says "its possible". So let's be encouraged but not blindly assume the thing will work entirely as planned. Because you know what happens when we assume, don't you?

Once again, good catch on the link.

Thanks, yes I do know and you're right. In my opinion they're moving too slowly. Or, how about the possibility that someone got paid a small fortune, I’m not an investigator, anyone wish to research to rule it out?

Old 02-04-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Much, much, much easier, Okey,why Gas? hydrocarbon, any organic compound composed solely of the elements hydrogen and carbon. Why not, methane, CH4; ethane, C2H6; propane, C3H8 or Generally hexane, others are homologous series hydrocarbons, alkenes, alkynes, and let not forget alcohols, aldehydes, ethers, carboxylic acids, and halocarbons.

"small amount of hydrogen from gasoline with an on-board reformer." Is this not what we are trying to do with HHO systems. What is the cost of water or have it your way Alcohol versus GASOLINE.
Why make a HHO system when I can make a still. Which out for CHP.

Last edited by Ruia; 02-04-2009 at 01:33 PM..

Old 02-04-2009, 01:53 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,131,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruia View Post
Much, much, much easier, Okey,why Gas? hydrocarbon, any organic compound composed solely of the elements hydrogen and carbon. Why not, methane, CH4; ethane, C2H6; propane, C3H8 or Generally hexane, others are homologous series hydrocarbons, alkenes, alkynes, and let not forget alcohols, aldehydes, ethers, carboxylic acids, and halocarbons.

"small amount of hydrogen from gasoline with an on-board reformer." Is this not what we are trying to do with HHO systems. What is the cost of water or have it your way Alcohol versus GASOLINE.
Why make a HHO system when I can make a still. Which out for CHP.
Why gas? My guess is because we already have the infrastructure for it and this is by far the best short-term approach.

The cost of gasoline versus water isn't the issue. The issue is the cost of the energy required to get a sufficient amount of hydrogen out of the process.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Why gas? My guess is because we already have the infrastructure for it and this is by far the best short-term approach.

The cost of gasoline versus water isn't the issue. The issue is the cost of the energy required to get a sufficient amount of hydrogen out of the process.
What is a sufficient amount of hydrogen if they claim 20 to 30% increase in MPG to which I have seen better then 40% using water. Your issue is the cost of the energy required to get a sufficient amount of hydrogen out of the process, they say 75 watts which is 6.25 amps, am I right (Watts / Volts = Amps). May I ask if anyone out there in cyber land had 20 to 30% gains in MPH with the use of a HHO unit with 12 volts @ 6 Amps? Even if a HHO system did 10% you’re saving because it’s not GAS that you’re stripping the hydrogen off.
I’m willing to test this. Now how do I get a Hydrogen-Boosted Gasoline Engine Reformer or get plans to make one? Come on cyber-scientists’;the principle of science is to prove or disprove. If there is an exception to any rule, and if it can be proved by observation that rule is wrong and we need to change it or just use it to our advantage to save money.
Also, if it’s a hydrocarbon that a Reformer needs why gasoline and not alcohol, it’s made from the same chains which are C’s and H’s and it’s made locally. My point.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:31 AM

681 posts, read 2,912,096 times
So far no response from the folk with the toys, guys. Remaining on frequency. Over and out.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote from Dave which I also agree.
DAVE "Found a paper by a engineering student at Idaho U, very interesting reading, and probably should be required reading for beginners to see actual results of testing."
Dave's site.
http://hfecell.info/hfebb/index.php
paper
http://attachments.wetpaintserv.us/j...Yg%3D%3D392570
efficiency results
http://attachments.wetpaintserv.us/w...NZw%3D%3D41984

Old 02-07-2009, 09:13 AM

1 posts, read 2,301 times
Default Wake Up!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Reading this complete line of bull, I was thinking, do they really let people in institutions have computers..???, but then I realized it's just sharp objects you aren't allowed to have access to.
This shows PT Barnum was only half right. Not only is there a sucker born every minute, there is also a B.S'er born every minute. Please, for your own good, don't tell anyone else this story, they are just going to laugh at you. These ridiculous stories have been around forever, about the government buying devices up, or the car manufactures buying them up and destroying them so the public wouldn't get a hold of them. In truth, the government or auto manufactures would pay many millions to learn your secret. Do you have any idea how many millions are spent every year by auto engineers to gain even a fraction of a MPG..? But they would rather spend all of there R&R money getting nowhere, than to listen to a genius like you.
Anyone who knows anything about the internal combustion engine knows there isn't even a smidgen of truth to any of it.
Because I feel sorry for you, I'll give you the benefit of doubt. Just show me one bit of proof, and I will gladly read it. it must me a realistic, scientific document, not something your drunken buddy at the bar told you just before he collapsed on the floor.
I love the part about you making so much money you don't have time to market an invention that would make you so rich, Bill Gates would be envious. A car than runs on water..... Why would we allow that to get to market when it's more fun to let the Middle Easterners run the world. If it could be done, the sand monkeys would all be bankrupt and there would be no financial worries in the US. I suppose I could be wrong, since you are a millionaire, and I'm just common folk..!
I usually don't respond to people in here who are obviously not playing with a full deck, but once in a while, I just can't help myself. Now get off of the computer, and go make some more millions.

Okay the govt and big bussines will lie to you. They will poison your water with chemicals, spray your soilders with them in the jungle and lie so they dont have to provide medical care. Fight a war over oil and then raise the price of gas. If the intial cost outweighs the yearly profit then ********* is what most will say.
Do you know what a catalytic converter does? It reduces emmisions...duh!! It does three things one of those is oxidation of hydocarbons, which is unburned fuel. Well the hho or browns gas added to the fuel mixture will increase temps in the combustion chamber which will in turn burn more of the hydocarbons. No one ever adds this FACT to thier equations!! Why because not enough research has been done on it. The govt put restrictions on oil refineries producing higher grades of gas in the 70s due shortages and efficiency of internal combustion engines being very poor at the time. Well its 40 years later and cars will burn higher grades of fuel more effectively. And the quate that a "cars altenator turns off when the battery is fully charged" well thats B.S. It still works to send power to the coil, computer, heater fan, and many other accesories. I dont think we can run strictly off of water but a hybrid can work in my oppinion. Most especially if you add another battery thats recharged by solar power. Then the extra energy is free without having to store explosive hydrogen gas, ass well as being on demand. Say the battery will last you for 45 miles of driving. That is most peoples daily commute.
I am personally trying to develop a home heat uniy that works off of solar to run hho gas. Nothing warms your house like gas. Anybody that has it says its warmer.
But you know what maybe I should just sit on my ass and wait for the govt and big bussines to tell me what to do. Kinda like they were backing Edison instead of Tesla. But Tesla didnt sit down did he???

Old 02-07-2009, 10:52 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,873,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by propulsionengineertom View Post
Okay the govt and big bussines will lie to you. They will poison your water with chemicals, spray your soilders with them in the jungle and lie so they dont have to provide medical care. Fight a war over oil and then raise the price of gas. If the intial cost outweighs the yearly profit then ********* is what most will say.
Do you know what a catalytic converter does? It reduces emmisions...duh!! It does three things one of those is oxidation of hydocarbons, which is unburned fuel. Well the hho or browns gas added to the fuel mixture will increase temps in the combustion chamber which will in turn burn more of the hydocarbons. No one ever adds this FACT to thier equations!! Why because not enough research has been done on it. The govt put restrictions on oil refineries producing higher grades of gas in the 70s due shortages and efficiency of internal combustion engines being very poor at the time. Well its 40 years later and cars will burn higher grades of fuel more effectively. And the quate that a "cars altenator turns off when the battery is fully charged" well thats B.S. It still works to send power to the coil, computer, heater fan, and many other accesories. I dont think we can run strictly off of water but a hybrid can work in my oppinion. Most especially if you add another battery thats recharged by solar power. Then the extra energy is free without having to store explosive hydrogen gas, ass well as being on demand. Say the battery will last you for 45 miles of driving. That is most peoples daily commute.
I am personally trying to develop a home heat uniy that works off of solar to run hho gas. Nothing warms your house like gas. Anybody that has it says its warmer.
But you know what maybe I should just sit on my ass and wait for the govt and big bussines to tell me what to do. Kinda like they were backing Edison instead of Tesla. But Tesla didnt sit down did he???
Thanks for proving my point. If you knew a fraction as much about the automobile as you think you do, you would find a better use for your time. Ihave been an auto tech for over 40 years, and I have been hearing these same unfounded claims all that time.
If you are having fun in the garage, and staying ot of trouble, continue on, but playing checkers in front of a warm fireplace will get you just as far...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive