Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 05:55 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,303,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Can't speak for newer vehicles but had a '73 Satellite Sebring Plus and a '77 Powerwagon and they were two of the best vehicles I ever had. Because of the 318 engine, best engine ever, IMHO.
Well, there is a big difference between '70s Mopars and those of today.
They were built better and weren't merged with a German company back then.

-Fleet
Possible future owner of a '69 Dodge Coronet R/T 440
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 06:51 PM

563 posts, read 2,569,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
Chrysler definitely isn't going to close its doors. Cerberus might end up slicing and dicing the current company, or selling out to the highest bidder at some point in the future. The Chinese are chomping at the bit to get into the US market, and the purchase of a company like Chrysler would give them a pre-established network to do so. Either way, the company isn't going under.
Gotta agree with this. Cerberus is an investment firm and they will do what they do best: invest and try to make money. That may mean selling off parts of Chrysler or my biggest fear is what you mention--Chinese investment. The Chinese desperately want to get into a US market that still is viable for foreign investment. Most chinese autos seem to be copy cats of major auto makers. As a matter of fact, name a product that is something you associate with China as being a home grown technological advancement/development. I cant think of anything off hand. They cheapen and copy everything. A purchase of all or part of a company like Chrysler will give them more credibility and assets to established auto products, a dealer network, domestic part suppliers, etc. As with most Chinese products, the inferiority will bleed its way into any automaker they get involved with. I have found Chryslers the last 5-10 years to be very cheaply made and its evident in their interiors and this can be seen even post-Cerberus. They will turn a profit whichever way they can. I would hate to see the brand get even more inferior with a cheap foreign investor. It will never be the Chrysler of old but it will also most likely not go under either.

Old 05-03-2008, 09:34 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,917,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I... My biggest complaint with Chrysler is their automatic transmissions, they're terrible! ....
And to think that they made the legendary A727 TorqueFlite transmissions.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:07 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,425,771 times
Not sure what they're future holds, but I've loved both Chryslers we've owned - first my 99 Sebring from my mother in law and now our 99 Town and Country Limited. I never thought they felt 'cheap' and mechanically they've been excellent. We also rented a Pacifica about 3 years ago and I'd love to have one of those.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:48 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,398,470 times
In 2003 I bought a 1996 one owner Grand Caravan (loaded)/w 100k mi for $3k. Drove it for a work truck (better mileage 24 -28 mpg vs a truck) till 2005 and sold it to my son who is still driving it w/ about 200k mi. Tires and a strut isn't bad for a vehicle that was panned on the internet site I checked...and I as a skeptical GM guy.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:02 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,416,431 times
They are the company that gave us the dreaded 2.7 motor as well. A bad idea start to finish that sent many a vehicle to an early scrapper's death. They never really did come up with enough ways to satisfy the owners of those duds. Not that they really tried.

But overall I've found that a properly maintained Chrysler in the hands of a good owner will go long and hard without complaint. Cheaply slapped together at times? Sure, but so are most other vehicles out there. There are legions of stories about Ford (including my own), GM, Mercedes, and most others. Fords eat trannies, GM's fall apart if you stare at them too long, Mercedes are notorious for unfixable issues.

My own daily driver is a '90 J body Lebaron convertible. 112K on the miles, 24 mpg average and little costs other than oil changes. Still solid, all the options work and only the top's been replaced. What more can you ask for?

Old 05-06-2008, 11:04 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,777,966 times
Well I just brought a Chrysler last week -- used - a 2001 Sebring LX coupe. I love Japanese cars and was leaning towards either a Mitsubishi or a VW. But I found out the Sebring coupe (well of this year at least) has the same V6 engine as the Mitsubishi Eclipse GT. It was far cheaper than an Eclipse and in my opinion is more comfortable inside. It is heavier and the styling is more refined...so it sort of kills the "boy-racer" attitude...but I really like it. My neighbors and family tell me how pretty it is (sort of surprising; never had that happen with my Hondas or Mazdas).

I hear that the new Chrysler is no longer dealing with Mitsubishi on engineering and Daimler is out too. I dunno. The new Chrysler's are pretty...but I would be very concerned with quality.

As far as quality on mine...it has 65K and the only thing I've noticed so far is on the door where the lock and window switches are, that mount has worked itself loose (so wobbles around in the door a bit when you press something on it) and the light on the gear selector doesn't work. Oh and to echo something else someone said about the 2.7 engine...my warranty company wouldn't even cover a car with one of those. That's really saying something there!

Old 05-06-2008, 08:32 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,160,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
CHrysler is making the nicest looking cars of anyone, and they have some awesome ideas like the van seats that turn around to face a table.
This is hardly a new idea. My family had a van in the 70s with chairs that did that.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:39 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,447,646 times
Oh, LOL, but I just left the Religion & Philosophy Forum, and I cannot begin to tell you how much I laughed at Do You Have FAITH in a CHRYSLER? You Guys think you could help them out over there?

Old 05-06-2008, 09:28 PM

1,767 posts, read 2,398,470 times
Don't cha know! We try hard to "keep the faith" here at the Chrysler forum.; (Why is it we are?) Weren't we discussing the hemi? How come the old ones in boats aren't worth much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Ram