Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volvo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2008, 12:16 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,391,254 times

Advertisements

GOTHENBURG, Sweden - The destruction of the orange sedan with its slapdash paintwork may have been intentional but it was far from wanton. It was all part of Volvo’s bid to create an injury-proof car by 2020.

While that vehicle of the future may lack the self-awareness of the crime-fighting Trans Am in 1980s TV series Knight Rider, experts say it will be able to steer, brake and find out about the road ahead from within a vast electronic bumper.

Volvo’s 2020 vision: The injury-proof car - Autos - MSNBC.com (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 03:41 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,119,026 times
I won't deny it - I am a Volvo fan. My family are Volvo fans. We currently have 5 Volvo's in the family: 2 XC90's, S80, V70, S30. And, we will be acquiring a new C30 to replace the S80 next month.

I have personally seen the "left over" of an S80 after being rear ended by a BIG truck - that pushed it into a iron power pole and which as broad sided by another car. There were 3 passengers in the Volvo: Driver, Passenger right seat (the side that was broadsided) and passenger behind driver.

The doors remained shut, the car crumpled front and rear the way it was designed to (the engine went under the car), the entire passenger compartment was filled with air bags.

The first responders had to use the "jaws of life to get the doors open but, after they did, the passengers stepped out of the car. There were some cuts and bruises (no whip lash!) - but all were released from the ER after being checked out.

If anyone can manufacter such an injury proof car - Volvo can.

Old 05-02-2008, 04:51 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,705,069 times
Every time someone tries to make something idiot-proof, God invents a bigger/better idiot.

While cars should be made as safe as is practical, I worry about the loss of risk-aversion associated with a so-called "injury-proof" car. It's still not injury-proof to whomever you hit with it.

Old 05-03-2008, 08:59 AM

323 posts, read 2,084,109 times
We'll see...if anyone could pull it off it's Volvo....hope they come thru.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:11 AM

812 posts, read 4,065,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Every time someone tries to make something idiot-proof, God invents a bigger/better idiot.

While cars should be made as safe as is practical, I worry about the loss of risk-aversion associated with a so-called "injury-proof" car. It's still not injury-proof to whomever you hit with it.
Yeah, and I hope that it's not the case, where there is a view of infallibility and groupthink...

What I'm figuring is that it's simply indicative of a high bar set, much as in the term "Total Quality Management" or TQM, where theoretically no defects are tolerated... while it's naive for one to think that truly 0 will happen, it shows the vigorous pursuit at total quality, and at least there's no "acceptable level" being given when a company adopts TQM...

The same theory could be applied as such to Volvo's goal here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Volvo