U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 07:22 PM

604 posts, read 1,074,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
I'm not happy that you got the ticket. I just wish there was some way to ticket the cops when they drive like idiots.
...and when they act like idiots. I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 07:26 PM

12,941 posts, read 19,353,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbledeez View Post
...and when they act like idiots. I agree.
Oh, in these parts I've had them cut me off, tailgate, pull bootlegger turns...they'll follow behind you for a few miles on the highway, just to make you sweat, wondering what you did wrong - then they'll hit the lights and siren and go flying past you.

I swear, they did that once and I passed them a minute later, sitting in the (you guessed it) donut shop parking lot.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:43 PM

28,287 posts, read 39,953,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Stay out of people's way, use your rear view mirror, go the speed limit AT LEAST. I guarantee all that aggression will disappear.
It's very apparent you don't live where I do. Pick a lane, any lane, if you think changing into a different one will remove you from the front bumper of the jerks around you, it won't.

I have, as a test, driven 75 mph across our freeway when the limit was 55. I was one of the slower cars. It happens so much because the limit simply is not enforced. I drive the freeway often and rarely see a police car or HP. In fact, I see the Highway Helper trucks more than the law.

When the people who are supposed to in charge of regulating and controlling driving habits are doing something other than the above our highways become dangerous.

With the economy going downhill expect it to get worse. People are more stressed and act like self-centered fools in good times, when it gets bad, well, watch out.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:07 PM

7,325 posts, read 15,377,978 times
Also, with gas near $4 a gallon, going slower saves quite a bit. At 55 (the speed limit) I get almost 15 miles a gallon more than at 70 miles at hour. That means I save about $30 a tank going the slower speed. Sorry, your need to go 15 over on a two-lane road is not going to cost me money. Pass in the marked passing zones and otherwise calm down.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:11 PM

3,429 posts, read 9,261,562 times
Of course, I tailgate a lot since I find myself trying to watch the same movie from behind that the kids in the car are watching.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:36 PM

3,144 posts, read 7,356,764 times
Don't take my advice... keep driving with your chin in the air and your hands at 10 and 2 while going under the speed limit and your just going to make the aggression against you worse.

After all it was just advice, I practice what I preach and I am accident free and get more compliments and friendly waves from people on the road than I do middle fingers.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:36 AM

1,297 posts, read 5,036,099 times
Here in Los Angeles, the average flow can be up around 80mph depending on the day and time. Average is about 70mph and the average space between cars can be close.

I generally don't get tailed but when driving through heavily patrolled areas, I will have people tailgate me. I move over for them quickly and hope others would do the same for me at times.

The last thing I want is a car tailing me that cannot stop as fast as I can.

Old 05-07-2008, 02:10 AM

17 posts, read 60,199 times
The Growing Problem of Road Rage

Our Biggest Fear as Drivers:
Statistics tell us that most all of us have been involved in an aggressive driving experience either as the victim or the aggressor at some point in our lives.
Aggressive driving and road rage is on the rise and according to the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety (AAA) it is one, if not the top concern for many drivers today. AAA reported that, "at least 1,500 people a year are seriously injured or killed in senseless traffic disputes." The following includes excerpts from a report issued by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Characteristics of Aggressive Driving:
The words, "aggressive driving," emerged during the 1990s as a label for a category of dangerous on-the-road behaviors. The category comprises:
  • Following too closely
  • Driving at excessive speeds
  • Weaving through traffic
  • Running stop lights and signs
Aggressive driving occasionally escalates to gesturing in anger or yelling at another motorist, confrontation, physical assault and even murder. "Road Rage" is the label that emerged to describe the angry and violent behaviors at the extreme of the aggressive driving continuum.

Graduating From Traffic Violation to Criminal Offense:
The NHTSA defines aggressive driving as, "The operation of a motor vehicle in a manner that endangers or is likely to endanger persons or property." An important distinction is that aggressive driving is a traffic violation, while road rage, aside from the yelling and gesticulating, is a criminal offense.

Sponsored Links

Total cargo securityEnsure your cargo is safe & secure 24-hour police access across Europewww.eurowatchcentral.com
Warning : Bigger Breasts?If you want to look sexy, this pill & gel program is a must. Above 18sMyBreastGain.com
PunishmentFind practical business information on punishment.www.allbusiness.com

Contributing Factors To Aggressive Driving:
Experts suggest many reasons for the increase in aggressive driving and road rage.
  • Sociologists suggests it is due to the breakdown in our society's sense of community and a disintegration of shared values.
  • Psychologists point to the intoxicating combination of power and anonymity provided by motor vehicles.
  • Traffic engineers tend to believe the problem is due to inconsistent driving speeds among travelers.

Traffic Congestion:
Traffic congestion is one of the most frequently mentioned contributing factors to aggressive driving. Drivers with low tolerances for traffic delays might respond by following too closely, changing lanes frequently, or becoming angry at anyone who impedes their progress.
Running Late:
Some people drive aggressively because they have too much to do and are running late for work, school, their next meeting, lesson, soccer game, or other appointment. Many otherwise law-abiding citizens often justify speeding when running late, almost as they would a medical emergency. Speeding because one is running late to pick up a waiting child or getting an elderly parent to a doctor's appointment is often deemed as okay in the minds of even some of the safest drivers.

Anonymity:
A driver can develop a sense of anonymity and detachment when insulated within the privacy of a vehicle. Tinted windows further detach drivers, aiding to the misconception of being an observer of the surroundings, rather than a participant. The anonymity for some may provoke antisocial behavior unseen in other normal interaction they experience with others. Combine this with having the power of a motor vehicle and the knowledge that it is unlikely they will ever be seen again by those they offend and the result can be extreme rudeness and even turn an otherwise nice person into a dangerous, raging individual.

Disregard for Others and for the Law:
Much has been written about the erosion of shared values and respect for authority, variously attributed to the fragmentation of the extended family, increased individual mobility, media influence, and other characteristics of modern society. It does appear that civility and respect for authority has decreased, the trend epitomized by the phrase, "I'm just looking out for number one."

Habitual Or Clinical Behavior:
Most motorists rarely drive aggressively, and some never at all. For others, episodes of aggressive driving are frequent, and for a small proportion of motorists it is their usual driving behavior.
Occasional episodes of aggressive driving might occur in response to specific situations, such as speeding and changing lanes abruptly when late for an important appointment, when it is not the driver's normal behavior.

Among the chronic aggressive drivers there are those who learned the driving style and consider it appropriate, and others who may have learned to drive properly, but for whom the behavior is an expression of illness.
Clearly, it is a matter of degree and not all anger is uncontrolled, or even inappropriate, that is, it is not the anger, but what a person does about it that matters (e.g., anger that motivates a person to call the police when encountered on the road by an obviously impaired or dangerously aggressive driver). However, chronic anger, habitual or persistent aggressive driving, and especially a pattern of confrontation on the road, must be considered manifestations of pathology, in addition to violations of the law.
Summary

If it seems that there are more cases of rude and outrageous behavior on the road now than in the past, the observation is correct, if for no other reason than there are more drivers driving more miles on the same roads than ever before.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:59 AM

2,756 posts, read 5,329,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Usually only after the damage is done.

I've rarely seen anyone ticketed for tailgating, and the tailgaters know this.

Also, kind of hard to ignore them when you're driving at night and their high beams are melting the hair off your head.
Sadly, yes..I don;t have much hair to melt, so that takes care of that

Old 05-07-2008, 12:23 PM

12,941 posts, read 19,353,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
Sadly, yes..I don;t have much hair to melt, so that takes care of that
LOL - same here. Just don't know if it's due to tailgaters or pattern baldness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or