U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 11:32 AM

6,351 posts, read 19,353,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
My car has rear fog lights. I don't even know if they're legal in Illinois. Nevertheless, they're standard equipment on my car and flipping them on is a surefire way to get tailgaters the hell off my bumper, especially at night.
I've often wondered if some of those Euro-car owners even KNOW they have rear fog lights... I've seen more than a few Volvos, Saabs, Mercedes, etc. cars driving in broad sunny daylight with them on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 11:39 AM

10,513 posts, read 10,333,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I won't lie, they scare me. Every time someone pulls out in front of me or slams on brakes I think "Oh no, I'm gonna get the airbag". I have never experienced it, but they say it burns.lol

Can you imagine what that would be like if you're wearing glasses....

Old 05-09-2008, 12:10 PM

2,937 posts, read 3,057,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Usually only after the damage is done.

I've rarely seen anyone ticketed for tailgating, and the tailgaters know this.

Also, kind of hard to ignore them when you're driving at night and their high beams are melting the hair off your head.

I give tailgaters a sudden slamming of the brakes, as long as my kids are not in the car.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:59 PM

12,941 posts, read 19,343,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
I give tailgaters a sudden slamming of the brakes, as long as my kids are not in the car.
I used to, but I've found it angers them more to do the "hands at 10 and 2, do the limit" bit.

Old 05-11-2008, 01:46 AM

11,456 posts, read 12,729,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeable View Post
Hi. I am one person who is fed up with dealing with aggressive drivers. Does anyone else feel that way? I particularly am frustrated by tailgaters who seem to think they can do it anytime, at will. Darn! I try to slow down, and it does not always work. Many times I am quite surprised at the rudeness of these drivers, but am amazed at how many there are!!

I try to leave 15 minutes early, and keep in the middle or right lane. I only go in the left when I need to pass. Drive nice n easy, and let all the maniacs go fly by me, it's just not worth it.

Just as dangerous as tailgaters IMO, are people who clog up the left lane via ignorance, or passive aggressive arrogance. They should hand out tickets for this.

Old 05-11-2008, 04:20 AM

27,236 posts, read 41,396,462 times
so...why would a person pull about two inches from the bumper of the car ahead of them...when THAT car has its right turn signal on?...what is it about SLOWING DOWN or changing lanes can they NOT understand? Someone almost hit my girlfriend in the car the other day...I saw them change lanes to be behind her...and she had her turn signal on from about 75-100 feet from the place she had to turn. (As soon as she passes the actual "road" there, she puts on a turn signal for the DRIVEWAY.)

She pulls the car in...and stops...right there...eventually, she'll have to drive ALL the way around the driveway, but she's just shaking so hard at almost getting hit.

Talked to someone from Ohio...they say Florida drivers are the WORST!

Old 05-11-2008, 08:49 AM

12,941 posts, read 19,343,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Talked to someone from Ohio...they say Florida drivers are the WORST!
Pennsylvanians would give them a literal run for their money.

Ignorance + arrogance + mechanical advantage = PA drivers

Old 05-13-2008, 04:06 PM

604 posts, read 1,073,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
You're right, on the two lane road I usually travel the speed limit is 55 and I usually do 60. People will still ride my bumper sometimes, but a few slams on the brakes gives them the message. Nothing like the fear of an airbag in their face to make them back off.
You are not entitled to that lane just because you're doing 5 miles over the speed limit. Some people go 10 over, and you need to get out of their way. Slamming on your brakes sounds just as aggressive if not more than tailgating.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:18 PM

440 posts, read 1,669,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeable View Post
Hi. I am one person who is fed up with dealing with aggressive drivers. Does anyone else feel that way? I particularly am frustrated by tailgaters who seem to think they can do it anytime, at will. Darn! I try to slow down, and it does not always work. Many times I am quite surprised at the rudeness of these drivers, but am amazed at how many there are!!

I think the best advice is to just ignore them. Neither speed up or slow down, just continue the drive the way you are (unless you are going below the speed limit, then at least go the speed limit).

Obviously the tailgater is in a rush to go somewhere, and no matter what you do will make them happy. Some of you mentioned slamming on your brakes and what not, but let a cop see you do this and you will be in just as much trouble as the tailgater, maybe even worse.

We live in an age where a burglar can sue a homeowner for an injury from a fall they got while robbing the homeowner's home, and win! Engaging with the tailgater will just make matters worse, you don't know who they are, what they are feeling or what kind, if any, weapons are in their vehicle.

Sidenote: I have driven in Northern VA a few times, and the I-495 Capital Beltway is ANOTHER world!

Old 05-25-2008, 05:25 AM

630 posts, read 1,034,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
My car has rear fog lights. I don't even know if they're legal in Illinois. Nevertheless, they're standard equipment on my car and flipping them on is a surefire way to get tailgaters the hell off my bumper, especially at night.
haha i love that , pointed in the right direction, one flicker will do the trick. thats too funny...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or