U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 04:45 PM

46 posts, read 399,461 times

Advertisements

Thinking about making a career change...dreaming about being a truck driver...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2006, 04:48 PM

10,017 posts, read 16,619,792 times
I dated a driver, said his butt hurt!!!!

Old 12-30-2006, 04:59 PM

610 posts, read 2,899,114 times
If you drive solo, the conversation is endless but at least you're dealing with someone near your own intelligence with many of the same interests.
Once you work all the initial bugs out (how much coffee you can drink, what to buy at the truck-stop, etc), you can start dealing with any personal road-rage problems and start mellowing out - there's always 500 miles to go and 4 hrs to get there - and someone on the other end of the company-provided phone working both sides, i.e., 1)stop and get some rest - get a home-cooked sit-down meal or 2)They've gotta have it yesterday! Really, it's just another factory-job but the scenery changes - great for us road-dogs.
For me, it was the intelligent conversation. And yes, like NEA1 says, it hurts from between your shoulder-blades down to between your ..... (cens). Eye-strain causes headaches and neck pain and traffic thru a city can just wipe you completely out!

Old 12-30-2006, 07:17 PM

4,574 posts, read 15,243,906 times
It was alright for me the first year or so that I trucked with my husband. Got to see plenty more of the US than I'd been to previous, in fact the only places I've yet to see are FL, The New England area and of course, Alaska and Hawaii.

If you're over the age of 21 you can be licensed to drive OTR (over the road), most companies like to hire at 23 or older, clear driving record and going to a truck driving school gets you a huge step in the door. If you decide to go to a company's school, read the fine print! You could be drawn into a contract that holds you to them for a predetermined number of years and if you quit most make you pay the tuition ASAP.

If you can handle not being home for birthdays, Christmas, anniversaries and sometimes not even seeing "home" for weeks at a time, then it might be something you can do.

Me? I prefer knowing where I am when I wake up and it pretty much being the same place My husband has been driving for more than 30 years and still loves it.

The concept of the industry is pretty much "hurry up & wait"

If you have any other questions feel free to fire me a PM.

Old 01-01-2007, 10:53 PM

Default Thank you

Thank you for all of the replies so far...please keep them coming!

Old 01-02-2007, 07:24 PM

130 posts, read 104,698 times
If you are thinking of being a tractor trailer driver the only way to go in my opnion is LTL (less than truckload).Companies such as Ups,Abf,Conway,Yellow etc.They earn anywhere between $60,000 and $130,000 a year.Some you need experince some they will send you to school.I promise you this is some of the better jobs in America.The pay and benefits can't be beat.For further info go to www.truckingboards.com. Good luck.

Old 01-06-2007, 11:38 AM

Thank you.

Old 01-06-2007, 02:47 PM

130 posts, read 104,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imright View Post
Thank you.
Have you registered as a user on truckingboards yet?

Old 01-07-2007, 03:35 PM

14,874 posts, read 36,035,286 times
What questions do you have about it? Do you want OTR (over the road) or local? My dad was/is a truck driver and we employee truck drivers. My dad was on OTR driver for freight. Our company is local and just for our products. OTR drivers are gone holidays, weekends, birthdays, anniversary, birth of kids/grandkids, etc. Strange hours to sleep and eat, etc. You have to keep your nose clean though to work for a reputable company. Drug tests are common and random. Now in the state of Texas if you get a ticket and have a CDL you can not take defensive driving. It does not matter if the ticket was on your own time or company. Pay can be good depending on who you work for. My dad drives a truck w/ the x-ray equipment now to different hospitals, one of those mobile units. He is retired part time so he can do this part time and still be home. He did work for a company that does all of the media setup equipment for sports games that Mark Cuban is a financial backer of. I know they have had a hard time finding good drivers. This one keeps you away from home for a week or so. I know we have had a heck of a time finding drivers in the last year. Still need 2 right now.

Old 01-07-2007, 05:44 PM

4,574 posts, read 15,243,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
What questions do you have about it? Do you want OTR (over the road) or local? My dad was/is a truck driver and we employee truck drivers. My dad was on OTR driver for freight. Our company is local and just for our products. OTR drivers are gone holidays, weekends, birthdays, anniversary, birth of kids/grandkids, etc. Strange hours to sleep and eat, etc. You have to keep your nose clean though to work for a reputable company. Drug tests are common and random. Now in the state of Texas if you get a ticket and have a CDL you can not take defensive driving. It does not matter if the ticket was on your own time or company. Pay can be good depending on who you work for. My dad drives a truck w/ the x-ray equipment now to different hospitals, one of those mobile units. He is retired part time so he can do this part time and still be home. He did work for a company that does all of the media setup equipment for sports games that Mark Cuban is a financial backer of. I know they have had a hard time finding good drivers. This one keeps you away from home for a week or so. I know we have had a heck of a time finding drivers in the last year. Still need 2 right now.

Was wondering when you were going to chime in You must be busy with it being the start of the year and being low on drivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or