Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2021, 04:29 AM

12,368 posts, read 9,473,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Give me white. Minor scratches that do not go through the primer are inconspicuous.
Yeah, I had a dark pearl blue car for awhile, and the detailing guy told me that in his opinion that color was the nicest looking when it was perfect, but it was the hardest one to keep looking good ;-)... darker colors also show road salt more in winter, in northern states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2021, 04:56 AM

5,130 posts, read 6,123,485 times
As a big MOPAR fan of the sixties and seventies Chrysler let it rock when it came to color and decal choices. There were two shades of limelight or high visibility green, panther pink, petty blue, vitamin c and even a purple along with several others.

Great seeing the color choices again in a sea of silver, black and white.

My buddy and I were just talking about the cement color and you really see a lot on the road now.

Old 04-23-2021, 05:55 AM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Car color palettes are diverse and interesting, but colors at dealerships are bland and common. Most people don't want to order custom colors, so they get what's available, happy to make a deal and drive away the same day.
Custom color seems to be less important than custom interior and gadgets.
For some strange reason people are often worry about resale, instead getting what THEY would really enjoy. (same with houses)
Apparently "sticking to neutral colors white, black, gray and silver are your safest bets. But, if you feel inclined to expand your palette remember that bright yellow, orange, or purple vehicles could put you at a disadvantage when selling or trading in your vehicle."

https://www.kbb.com/car-advice/what-...colors-to-buy/
To be fair... you can paint a house when you want to sell it. A car, not so easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
many cars don't even come with a choice of interior...it's all black and I won't have that.
I was ecstatic when I could find cars with black interiors rather than that nasty ugly tan. (And, I can't think of many exterior colors that a tan interior would "go" with.)

Old 04-23-2021, 06:05 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,317,520 times
That was the reason we chose the color we did on the Bolt (Oasis Blue). I'll gladly give my money to a manufacturer that chooses real colors.

They also have a pretty copper/orange color, and in 2019 they had a highlighter yellow color called Shock:

Old 04-23-2021, 06:10 AM

4,621 posts, read 4,887,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Car color palettes are diverse and interesting, but colors at dealerships are bland and common. Most people don't want to order custom colors, so they get what's available, happy to make a deal and drive away the same day.
Custom color seems to be less important than custom interior and gadgets.
For some strange reason people are often worry about resale, instead getting what THEY would really enjoy. (same with houses)
Apparently "sticking to neutral colors white, black, gray and silver are your safest bets. But, if you feel inclined to expand your palette remember that bright yellow, orange, or purple vehicles could put you at a disadvantage when selling or trading in your vehicle."

https://www.kbb.com/car-advice/what-...colors-to-buy/
But the irony is that odd colours have HIGHER sales values because they are more rare

https://www.moneytalksnews.com/5-col...d-8-that-hurt/

The average car depreciates 33.1% over the first 3 years.
Yellow cars only depreciate 27%
Orange 30.6%
Green 30.9%
White 32.6%
Red 32.7%

So, the data says if you want to retain value, buy a yellow, orange, or green car.

Gold is the worst colour. It depreciates 37.1% over 3 years
Purple and beige both over 36%
Silver cars 34%

The kelly blue book article repeats the old wives tale: no one buys fancy colours when new, so no one wants them used either. The data says the opposite though.

Old 04-23-2021, 06:13 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
The non-metallic greys and tans are especially ugly. Looks like polished primer.

Old 04-23-2021, 06:15 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I see colors that I can't even name. The ons that is all the rage is cement. The new Frontier is showcased in cement and so is the Tacoma. I love to know how they fair 10 years from now. I know one thing. My black SUV will still sell long after cement trucks are shunned by buyers. Remember forest green back in the 90s? How many of those are still around?
The last good green I remember like that was Spruce Mica from Toyota.

Old 04-23-2021, 06:45 AM

45,330 posts, read 60,500,026 times
[IMG]1976_Pontiac_Paint_chart.jpg[/IMG]

Who remembers Athena Blue from 1976 if Forest Green is forgotten?

Color chart didn't come through but my point should have been made.

I have to laugh at you guys who always talk about "depreciation". The days of people trading cars every two years is long gone (except for a few outliers) so depreciation shouldn't be a factor. So what if a new car loses 35% the first three years if you keep it ten? That depreciation has zeroed out by then. Although the average length of ownership for a new car is six years.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 04-23-2021 at 06:57 AM..

Old 04-23-2021, 06:52 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times
Grayish cars blend in with the road. Black and brown cars aren't much better.

Who remembers the two-toned powder blue/white and powder pink/white cars in the 50s? Gorgeous!

I saw a ghastly color last month -- neon pink and green. Ugg.

Old 04-23-2021, 07:01 AM

45,330 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Grayish cars blend in with the road. Black and brown cars aren't much better.

Who remembers the two-toned powder blue/white and powder pink/white cars in the 50s? Gorgeous!

I saw a ghastly color last month -- neon pink and green. Ugg.
The marketers say that people won't buy those colors from the 50s/60s. Are they correct? I don't know, although I know an incredible number of people who are drones (but that just might be the area).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive