Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2021, 09:20 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think there's probably a decent argument in some cases for plugin hybrids that lean strongly on the plug-in electric side of things. I think we've only seen a handful of decent entries thus far, so things haven't really shaken out yet. There's also a question of whether moving to mostly a series hybrid rather than parallel hybrid makes more sense overall.

I think the question is what direction should the half or so of households in the US that don't have a place to charge at home or work. I think for the most part, those households are more likely to be on the less economically wealthy side and so thus less likely to buy a new vehicle anyhow so mandates like these don't matter so much, but some still do buy new vehicles. In those cases, ultra fuel-efficient hybrids without plugs would probably be better until there's more charging infrastructure built, whether it's more level 2 workplace parking chargers in a much broader array of places or better peak charging speeds that more closely resemble the miles added per minute seen with gas vehicles right now. I think it's mostly not an issue though as 14 years time is a lot of time to develop such, and as stated earlier, a lot of households aren't buying new vehicles anyways.
The "used vehicle" market has always been good, and I imagine that it will remain that way for a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2021, 03:18 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,578,846 times
A. I don't live in California
2. I will mostly likely be dead by 2035 (or too old to drive)

Old 04-26-2021, 07:47 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,615,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
It's possible the auto industry in California will voluntarily shutter their factories for whatever reason and move elsewhere, but that's not the same as a collapse.
Isn't Tesla the only automotive company with a vehicle assembly plant in California?

Old 04-26-2021, 08:55 AM

11,477 posts, read 11,555,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWidow View Post
The cost of zero emissions vehicles especially battery will just become too high. Thus, the industry will shrink significantly
The data suggest otherwise.

https://mackinstitute.wharton.upenn....costs-decline/

Old 04-26-2021, 12:41 PM

768 posts, read 718,502 times
Of course California leadership (?) ignores the fact that the electric grid cannot handle the demand of electricity. Planned roll-outs are happening and I haven’t heard or read anything about upgrading the electrical grid or implementing new power plants. If they continue to shut down electricity to your house every time it’s windy, how will you charge your vehicle?

It’s the same lack of thinking that causes them to call for cheap housing. They don’t seem to consider the lack of water problem.

SMH.

Old 04-26-2021, 01:03 PM

37,135 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNansea View Post
Of course California leadership (?) ignores the fact that the electric grid cannot handle the demand of electricity. Planned roll-outs are happening and I haven’t heard or read anything about upgrading the electrical grid or implementing new power plants. If they continue to shut down electricity to your house every time it’s windy, how will you charge your vehicle?

It’s the same lack of thinking that causes them to call for cheap housing. They don’t seem to consider the lack of water problem.

SMH.

It looks like a combination of:
- better maintenance of conditions for above-ground powerlines
- burying powerlines on a triage system of sorts where the most fire-prone areas get priority
- utility-scale energy storage in multiple locations both to help even things out between demand and generation curves for renewable energy and so that some transmission from different areas can make up slack if transmission from another goes down
- more local level energy storage and possibly generation

All of the above are moving forward, but who knows how well they'll keep pace. The powerline burying is especially pretty slow and sort of late in the game. Yea, it's expensive, but compared to the direct and indirect losses over the last few years from fires sparked due to the electrical transmission infrastructure and the lost productivity from the outages, it would have been well worth it.

Water's a hard one. There are supposedly quite a few things they could do with conservation in agricultural, commercial, and residential use and those have definitely made headway in terms of per capita usage of water. The really expensive solution is desalination, but you really need to be flush with electrical generation to do so which happens at some points of the day when CA sends out excess solar power to Arizona, but I don't know if that's really the most economical track.

Old 04-26-2021, 02:42 PM

9,877 posts, read 7,207,036 times
Quote:

SMH.
What many ignore is that the main charging time for EV's is overnight when electricity is under utilized.

Old 04-26-2021, 05:10 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,164,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Isn't Tesla the only automotive company with a vehicle assembly plant in California?
No, exotic car company Karma has a plant in Moreno Valley.

Old 04-26-2021, 05:23 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,164,155 times
Quote:
Of course California leadership (?) ignores the fact that the electric grid cannot handle the demand of electricity. Planned roll-outs are happening and I haven’t heard or read anything about upgrading the electrical grid or implementing new power plants.

California Grid Modernization Annual Report 2020 -- includes adding more capacity, more charging stations, and hardening the grid to make it more fire-resistant.

Old 04-27-2021, 05:13 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,551,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog77 View Post
The data suggest otherwise.
Yes, costs are going down, but I don't see the modern equivalent of the Model T which was in production for 19 years and produced 15 million vehicles.
In 21 years ending in 2019 all manufacturers combined have sold 5.37 million hybrid vehicles with Toyota and Lexus selling 67.55% of them.
California is talking about 14 years when they plan to prohibit the sale of all ICE and hybrid vehicles and only sell Zero Emission vehicles like battery or hydrogen powered vehicles.

The market will adapt, and I suspect you will see millions of people riding electric bikes as it will be the only private transportation that the poor can afford. Public transport and slow moving driverless taxis will become more popular.

Quote:
On October 1, 1908, the first production Model T Ford is completed at the company’s Piquette Avenue plant in Detroit. Between 1908 and 1927, Ford would build some 15 million Model T cars. It was the longest production run of any automobile model in history until the Volkswagen Beetle surpassed it in 1972.

Before the Model T, cars were a luxury item: At the beginning of 1908, there were fewer than 200,000 on the road. Though the Model T was fairly expensive at first (the cheapest one initially cost $825, or about $18,000 in today’s dollars), it was built for ordinary people to drive every day. It had a 22-horsepower, four-cylinder engine and was made of a new kind of heat-treated steel, pioneered by French race car makers, that made it lighter (it weighed just 1,200 pounds) and stronger than its predecessors had been. It could go as fast as 40 miles per hour and could run on gasoline or hemp-based fuel. (When oil prices dropped in the early 20th century, making gasoline more affordable, Ford phased out the hemp option.) “No car under $2,000 offers more,” ads crowed, “and no car over $2,000 offers more except the trimmings.”

Ford kept prices low by sticking to a single product. By building just one model, for example, the company’s engineers could develop a system of interchangeable parts that reduced waste, saved time and made it easy for unskilled workers to assemble the cars. By 1914, the moving assembly line made it possible to produce thousands of cars every week and by 1924, workers at the River Rouge Ford plant in Dearborn, Michigan could cast more than 10,000 Model T cylinder blocks in a day.

But by the 1920s, many Americans wanted more than just a sturdy, affordable car. They wanted style (for many years, the Model T famously came in just one color: black), speed and luxury too. As tastes changed, the era of the Model T came to an end and the last one rolled off the assembly line on May 26, 1927.
https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...ls-the-model-t
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive