Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2021, 02:07 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,527,976 times

Advertisements

AFAIK only three subscompact sedans are going to be sold in 2022. All three have 1.6 liter engines.
34 mpg From $14,980 Nissan Versa
36 mpg From $16,050 Kia Rio
36 mpg From $15,395 Hyundai Accent

Rio and Accent share a platform.

The Honda Fit, Chevrolet Sonic, Toyota Yaris, and Ford Fiesta are all discontinued.

Do yout think the subcompact is gone forever, or will this size return as an affordable BEV city car when California and Massachussets (and possibly other states) prohibit the sale of gasoline engines?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2021, 02:10 PM

12,364 posts, read 9,462,379 times
I think the average new vehicle is up to something like $38K these days. While that implies it's easily afforded, I think for many people this is still prohibitive, and not everyone wants to roll the dice on a used car. So I think there's still a need for modest new vehicles at a lower entry level price. Now, there are compacts that aren't starting that much higher of course, but I think for people on a tight budget, a few thousand more is reason for concern.

Old 04-30-2021, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I think the average new vehicle is up to something like $38K these days.
Average price passed $40K in December 2020.

Quote:
I think for many people this is still prohibitive, and not everyone wants to roll the dice on a used car. So I think there's still a need for modest new vehicles at a lower entry level price. Now, there are compacts that aren't starting that much higher of course, but I think for people on a tight budget, a few thousand more is reason for concern.
Compacts listed by number of units sold in 2020.

From $20,025 Toyota Corolla
From $21,250 Honda Civic
From $19,650 Hyundai Elantra
From $18,995 Volkswagen Jetta
From $19,460 Nissan Sentra
From $17,890 Kia Forte
From $18,795 Subaru Impreza
From $20,990 Mazda 2
From $23,195 Volkswagen Golf
From $26,100 Acura ILX

In 2011 there were 11 million households without access to a private vehicle. I think it is down to 8.7% in 2019. There are 128.5 million households in the US according to 2020 census.

In theory if there is a good network of driverless taxis in place by 2030, it will greatly reduce the need for private vehicles for the elderly. It should also greatly reduce the need for second and third vehicles in a family.

Old 04-30-2021, 02:51 PM

1,874 posts, read 2,231,166 times
I would love to see more subcompact low cost BEV, but understand they are not as marketable or practical in some regions. We've got a Tesla Model S and Fiat 500e; I love both cars equally. The Tesla is great for longer distance travel with its long wheelbase, aerodynamic body, and longer range. The Fiat on the other hand is great for local driving and parking is a breeze. Metro areas and islands would be perfect for small BEVs. Even a BEV version of a Ford Transit would be ideal for metro area utility vehicles. However, we have a ways to go before BEV makes practical sense for folks who cannot charge at home or work, live in areas that sees extreme temperatures, rural areas with long commutes, and single vehicle households.

Old 04-30-2021, 03:25 PM

4,618 posts, read 4,885,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
The Honda Fit, (snip) , Toyota Yaris, and Ford Fiesta are all discontinued.
In the US only. There is a brand new Jazz (Fit) in Europe and Asia. The 4th generation Yaris went on sale in Europe, Japan, and Australia in 2019. The Mk7 Fiesta is Ford's best selling car in the UK.

And the Fit/Jazz has never been a sedan. The Yaris Sedan only existed in the US (it was a different car in the rest of the world). The Fiesta sedan sells far, far fewer numbers than the hatchbacks.

Old 04-30-2021, 03:30 PM

Lit Motors

Well possibly this work on two wheel vehicles with gyroscope will create a new class of safe low cost all electric vehicles with a decent range.

The trick is to be covered from the elements and use gyroscopes to stabilize the vehicles. They can't be as dangerous as motorcycles.

Old 04-30-2021, 04:02 PM

12,364 posts, read 9,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
I would love to see more subcompact low cost BEV, but understand they are not as marketable or practical in some regions. We've got a Tesla Model S and Fiat 500e; I love both cars equally. The Tesla is great for longer distance travel with its long wheelbase, aerodynamic body, and longer range. The Fiat on the other hand is great for local driving and parking is a breeze. Metro areas and islands would be perfect for small BEVs. Even a BEV version of a Ford Transit would be ideal for metro area utility vehicles. However, we have a ways to go before BEV makes practical sense for folks who cannot charge at home or work, live in areas that sees extreme temperatures, rural areas with long commutes, and single vehicle households.
For a single person or a couple on a budget who still want a practical vehicle, I think there's a lot to be said for a small 2-door hatchback, back seat is optional but it must have a generous cargo area for bulky items, dogs and bags for road trips. If someone can come out with something like that that (a) looks nice (b) is reliable (c) still comes in at a budget price, I think that could be a killer product. The Honda e looks like a very nice effort, but it's not budget priced at nearly $40K.

Old 04-30-2021, 04:47 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,623,242 times
Today’s subcompacts are as big as compacts use to be. Park one next to a 20 year old Civic, Corolla, or Sentra and you’ll see how subcompacts have grown.

Old 04-30-2021, 04:52 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,495,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Do yout think the subcompact is gone forever, or will this size return as an affordable BEV city car when California and Massachussets (and possibly other states) prohibit the sale of gasoline engines?
I hope not. I only buy subcompacts.

Old 04-30-2021, 05:40 PM

Quote:
For a single person or a couple on a budget who still want a practical vehicle, I think there's a lot to be said for a small 2-door hatchback, back seat is optional but it must have a generous cargo area for bulky items, dogs and bags for road trips. If someone can come out with something like that that (a) looks nice (b) is reliable (c) still comes in at a budget price, I think that could be a killer product. The Honda e looks like a very nice effort, but it's not budget priced at nearly $40K.
The Car and Driver editor wrote a glowing review of the Honda e last year, but this scrappy little city car is not destined to come to the United States.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car and Driver |BY ROBERTO BALDWIN JAN 28, 2020
States. The base model of the new electric car has about 137 miles of range on the European cycle.
It's a rear-wheel-drive car with 50:50 weight distribution, a low center of gravity, and a "loungelike" interior, so what's not to like, America?

This week, the Honda e has been making news as it makes its European debut. The overall gist is that the cute-as-a-button EV is fun to drive, wonderfully designed, full of cool and weird tech, although it's pricey for the amount of range you get. It's what I expected to learn about the tiny piece of nostalgia that I want in my garage. No wait, I need in my garage.

I'm smitten with this vehicle. It’s hard to look at the Honda e and not feel like it brings back a bit of the whimsy that Honda has lost in the past few decades. Recently the automaker has been working toward bringing us cars that don't look like beige bricks on wheels. For example, I really like the Civic Type R, but it also looks like it's going to shank you in a back alley if you don't give up your lunch money. The Honda e is inviting—a cuddly companion that says, "Hey, friend, let's go pick up some tacos and ice cream and head to the beach to stare at waves. Maybe we'll see some dolphins!"

Even if we don't see mammals frolicking in the sea, the Honda e's dual-screen infotainment system has the Aquarium mode shown in the tweet above. Does it make sense? No. Do I want to stare at digital fish while recharging my car? Yes.

For Europeans, this friendly EV is a reality. For the U.S., not so much. "The Honda e will not be coming to the United States" is what Honda has said again and again. The company has made that very clear both in its launch messaging and in reply to numerous emails, phone calls, and in-person grillings.
The non-luxury sedan market (subcompact, compact, mid-size (83% of sedans), and large size) may be only 10% of vehicle sales anymore as most US buyers flock to cross-overs, SUVs, pickup trucks, etc. But nearly every mid-size sedan has an MSRP starting at $27,000 or less. You can't find a BEV with an MSRP of $27,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive