Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 02:14 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Hmmm, I wonder if the additional mileage is worth the addition to your electric bill to charge the batteries.
Measured in miles per dollar, it's MUCH cheaper to run on grid-source electricity than gas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 04:51 PM

23 posts, read 48,975 times
Default The end of the oil age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Measured in miles per dollar, it's MUCH cheaper to run on grid-source electricity than gas.
Yes. And solar and wind technologies are two alternative, renewable ways to generate electricity instead of using oil or natural gas.

I'm looking at Phoenix Motorcars for possibly my next car. It's completely electric, and they have SUVs and SUTs. The price is really high right now - but that's because they're a new company and the cars aren't on the mass market yet. When they take off, the prices will drop drastically. There's a clip somewhere on Youtube where Bush is checking out the SUT. The Phoenix cars have passed safety tests and everything.

Has anyone seen the documentary "The End Of Suburbia" that came out a few years ago? It's kinda gloomy and somewhat pessimistic, but it's very interesting.

Old 05-17-2008, 05:12 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,843,182 times
Wow, the Phoenix car company would do themselves a favor by getting rid of the "Savings" calculator on their web site. I don't believe I am going to be driving the same vehicle 32 years to break even with one. That calculator is like shooting themselves in the foot if you ask me. Even compared to my big Suburban, I doubt I would keep it the 8 years it would take to reach a savings point.

Old 05-17-2008, 05:23 PM

23 posts, read 48,975 times
Default Lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Wow, the Phoenix car company would do themselves a favor by getting rid of the "Savings" calculator on their web site. I don't believe I am going to be driving the same vehicle 32 years to break even with one. That calculator is like shooting themselves in the foot if you ask me. Even compared to my big Suburban, I doubt I would keep it the 8 years it would take to reach a savings point.
LOL! I agree that they should get rid of their calculator. It's not very encouraging. They will be VERY expensive in the beginning for the mass market. Here's hoping that their prices will drop really lower very soon after they hit the market.

Old 05-17-2008, 05:41 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,843,182 times
Wow they are touting a 10 minute charge time, but in order to get that you have to connect with a 480 Volt 3 phase 500 Amp power source. Last I checked that is NOT a common service to have access to for the average Joe.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:49 PM

464 posts, read 1,360,234 times
TOYOTA is the way to go...I go 270 miles using only 3/4 tank...at crusie control going 80-85 mph

Old 05-17-2008, 06:52 PM

464 posts, read 1,360,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thureen View Post
Things probably won't change unless there drastic price increase, like say $100 per gallon of gas. If gas hits $100, I know most people won't afford to fill up Pickup, SUV, regular car, or even Prius would be expensive.

That said, we aren't even near $10 far less $100 right, so won't be seeing much change if any. Getting close $100 per gallon is far off, that if actually ever goes that high even.
yea yea yea.....but its damn near 5.; and years ago we were saying, OH IT WONT GO UP TO 5. get real.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:05 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,206,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANewDay2008 View Post
Yes. And solar and wind technologies are two alternative, renewable ways to generate electricity instead of using oil or natural gas.
sorry to pick on your post like this but...
solar and wind for many are an absolute waste of time. their generating capacity is very low and they tend to alienate people from alternatives because they're very expensive and don't do much. they are improving dramatically though.

from a PROVEN cost saving/ energy saving point of view geothermal/ground source heat pumps are highly effective, efficient and when you weigh up the cost of installation vs gas/heating oil/electric bills, highly cost effective!
also the new solar water heaters are highly efficient too.
World oil production: focus on non-OPEC supplies: a summary of the recent National Academy of Science workshop on supply and demand | World Oil | Find Articles at BNET.com

YouTube - Solar Water Heating

regarding suv's. when are people going to realise that the heavier the vehicle the higher the energy consumption. regardless of whether it's electric, diesel, gas, hydrogen, hybrid, cold fusion etc. to build a gigantic brute isn't difficult. the challenge is to build lightweight, fuel efficient vehicles which offer safety/performance etc

Old 05-18-2008, 05:32 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
They could rise the gas all they want. America will never change.

1. America will never have mass transit all around the country not just in little pockets. Like a bullet train from Florida to New York
2. Scooters and motorcycles will still be seen as toys in this country
3. SUVs, big cars, and trucks will always dominate the road
4. We will never see economy flights that take you around the country for less then $20 (tons of budget airlines in england that will fly you around europe for 10-20 pounds)
5. We will never see a state to state ferry system

And the list goes on. They could bring all the damn electric cars,solar cars, hydrogen cars they want not a lot of people in America will never touch them. At the end of the day as much as Americans like to **** and moan they do not give a crap.

The only thing higher gas prices will do is bring down America faster.
NEVER, and I mean NEVER, underestimate the ability of humans to adapt. We are the most adaptive species on the planet. To those who say, no, it's the cockroach, I read an article that said they are a native to the tropics and couldn't survive outside in the US winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
Scooters and motorcycles: I can understand on the highway but for going short distances on roads with 50mph speed limits or riding around in a city like NYC I see no problem. The best scooter ever made was the bmw c1. If all scooter/motorcycles made a ride like the bmw c1 I bet we would see more bikes on American streets. Also I like to read those italian scooter blogs they are making some good advancements with protection. Jackets and helmets with airbags.
I know someone who was killed in a hit and run motorcycle accident in downtown Denver on his way to a business meeting. He was wearing a helmet. I wouldn't want any of my loved ones using one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive