Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 11:04 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times

Advertisements

When buying a USED car from a used car lot, the best time is the LAST week of the month. You can always get a low price if they had a slow month, as they have a bank payment due the first of the month on their line of BANK CREDIT. Some dealers will have up to $50,000 or more line of credit to purchase cars from the Dealers Auction or from New car dealers over the weekend trade ins. Sold New/used cars in 1958 and some dealers would come by on Mon morning to see what we had taken in over the weekend. Depending on tradins we would whlse them or take to dealers auction to unload. Some came in as CREAM PUFFS and some were dogs.Cream we kept and dogs we dumped. Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 11:27 AM

268 posts, read 1,159,842 times
I've bought two brand new cars on my own. Both were paid for in cash. When you go in and start dealin' and wheelin', just talk price. Don't talk about payments, or financing, or interest rates...just talk about the final price of the car. If they start asking, just say "I'm just interested in talking about the price of the car right now. We'll get to the rest later." Now sales guys will always try to start at sticker price/msrp and then negotiate down. I always start at invoice and negotiate up. They hate that, but you'll get the better deal that way.

Do your research before you go in. Know what you want (make, model, and all the options), and know how much everything costs. Edmunds.com is a great site, and intellichoice.com is the other really good one that I like to use. Print out the prices. Edmunds will list invoice prices on all the options too. Both sites also give great tips on how to negotiate prices on cars.

When you both agree to a price and the sales guy/gal starts asking about payments, that's when you tell them that you'll pay for your car in cash. I've always believed that it's my own business on how I pay for my car, and that's why I don't bring it up until the very end. I also like to go in towards the last of the month. I've heard that you get better deals that way, and so that is what I have stuck to in the past. Summers and end of summer are the best for getting good deals on new cars. They are trying to get rid of inventory to make room for the new.

One last thing, when you get to the end and they start upselling you on the extended warranty and all the other extras, JUST SAY NO. Don't forget to take your checkbook with you, and good luck to you on getting a good price!

Old 05-17-2008, 12:00 PM

652 posts, read 2,663,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alterego View Post
I've bought two brand new cars on my own. Both were paid for in cash. When you go in and start dealin' and wheelin', just talk price. Don't talk about payments, or financing, or interest rates...just talk about the final price of the car. If they start asking, just say "I'm just interested in talking about the price of the car right now. We'll get to the rest later." Now sales guys will always try to start at sticker price/msrp and then negotiate down. I always start at invoice and negotiate up. They hate that, but you'll get the better deal that way.

Do your research before you go in. Know what you want (make, model, and all the options), and know how much everything costs. Edmunds.com is a great site, and intellichoice.com is the other really good one that I like to use. Print out the prices. Edmunds will list invoice prices on all the options too. Both sites also give great tips on how to negotiate prices on cars.

When you both agree to a price and the sales guy/gal starts asking about payments, that's when you tell them that you'll pay for your car in cash. I've always believed that it's my own business on how I pay for my car, and that's why I don't bring it up until the very end. I also like to go in towards the last of the month. I've heard that you get better deals that way, and so that is what I have stuck to in the past. Summers and end of summer are the best for getting good deals on new cars. They are trying to get rid of inventory to make room for the new.

One last thing, when you get to the end and they start upselling you on the extended warranty and all the other extras, JUST SAY NO. Don't forget to take your checkbook with you, and good luck to you on getting a good price!
I have gone to edmunds but never heard of intellichoice. i'll definetly look at that one too. I am starting to wonder if I am getting the "best deal'. I can drive 5 hours and get $200 below invoice or 3 hrs and get invoice.
I will stop letting them know I will be paying in cash. I thought that might give us a better deal and my DH told me not to mention how we're paying for it.
also with the extended warranty. typically I dont like those, but I am considering it for this car. As I said b4 it is a vw. very high prices for repairs. it is also a hard top convertible with sunroof. lots of moving parts and electrical crap to go bad. 7yr/100k warranty with $100 ded. is $2400. I figure 4-7 repairs would pay for the warranty. Isnt this worth it with such an expensive to repair vehicle?

Old 05-17-2008, 12:18 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emailvasally View Post
I have gone to edmunds but never heard of intellichoice. i'll definetly look at that one too. I am starting to wonder if I am getting the "best deal'. I can drive 5 hours and get $200 below invoice or 3 hrs and get invoice.
You're thinking about spending an extra two hours each way, plus probably 4-6 gallons of gas ($15-25) to save $200???? Sounds like you don't value your time very highly......

Old 05-17-2008, 01:22 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
I've bought 7 new cars in my lifetime. ( 5 on payments and 2 with cash )

You will not get a better deal with cash ( I didn't say you will get a worse deal)

Car dealers have no incentive to give you a --better-- deal on cash because they get a "kick back" from the financing company.

The 2 cars I bought with cash the dealers --begged-- me to at least finance part of it .

I didn't .

Old 05-17-2008, 03:05 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
The dealer doesn't care if you have cash. Whether they get cash from you or get cash from the bank where you take out the loan, it's the same to them.

Old 05-18-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
You're thinking about spending an extra two hours each way, plus probably 4-6 gallons of gas ($15-25) to save $200???? Sounds like you don't value your time very highly......
I do value my time. I stated the 2 best deals I could come up with and where they were. and previously I said I would probably be driving 3 hrs to get the car. As I always tell my dh time is money. He wanted to go from south east tx to california to save $1000! 2k id be there

Old 05-18-2008, 11:00 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emailvasally View Post
I do value my time. I stated the 2 best deals I could come up with and where they were. and previously I said I would probably be driving 3 hrs to get the car. As I always tell my dh time is money. He wanted to go from south east tx to california to save $1000! 2k id be there
Have you considered making a mini-vacation out of the road trip? Possibly Route 66?

That's what I did when I purchased my SSR 1600 miles from home.

Old 05-18-2008, 11:17 AM

Yeah, we did think about that. Problem is the next couple of months we have a lot going on and couldnt figure out a good time to do it. Honestly I should probably wait and do something like that, but I am just really feeling the need (really want ) to get it now. and before everyone starts jumping on me for that statement I realize its wrong and typically I dont think like that but I am just over always doing the right thing the right way.
when we got our suburban in FL we made a mini vacation out of it too. We also got our camper from IL and my dh and his friend made a mini vacation out of that one!

Old 05-18-2008, 11:23 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
New Car Prices and Used Car Blue Book Values - Official Kelley Blue Book Site

But they're not as good on used cars, because they only go back so far. Paid cash for the car I bought my girlfriend, and paid less than his list price, because I was buying it outright. Got change from a $1,000. Think he had it listed around $1,250...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive