U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-20-2008, 10:06 PM

678 posts, read 1,780,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Silverfox thats what she was telling me that it got 50 mpg...... dang car wasnt much bigger than my mobility scooter!
I used to call them oversized ROLLER SKATES...........
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 10:39 PM

8,329 posts, read 15,802,054 times
I would rather have a full-size Diesel pickup and run it on vegetable waste oil or home-grown algae oil. Then again, I can convert the old car to run on gas from wood or waste tires.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:12 PM

8,057 posts, read 16,099,951 times
ROLLER SKATES..........hehehehehe now thats funny!

Old 05-20-2008, 11:14 PM

8,057 posts, read 16,099,951 times
Tallrick ME TOO! I would love to have a pickup truck chevy with a 350 motor....cant find a decent 1 I can afford...

Old 05-21-2008, 04:43 AM

9,125 posts, read 22,823,930 times
So she has a Honda Element (that's most likely on a lease or on payments, so she's not going to get any $$ for it) that's getting almost 30 mpg, and she's paying $7,300 to buy a Metro that gets 40 mpg. At $4/gallon, she's got to save over 1,800 gallons of gas just to recoup her investment. If she's getting an extra 10 mpg, she's got to drive over 200,000 miles before she breaks even. I doubt she'll get 200,000 miles out of a 10 y/o Metro........

Old 05-21-2008, 08:03 AM

5,065 posts, read 7,308,786 times
Pretty sure Metros pull 50mpg highway.

Sorata related - I keep eyeing my old 1970 truck that belonged to my grandpa for an electric conversion...

Old 05-21-2008, 10:25 AM

3,554 posts, read 6,659,005 times
Part of her problem is that she probably has a 60 mile commute each way if she's buying that much gas. I sure as heck wouldn't want to be relying on a 13-year-old Geo Metro on that kind of commute every day.

She is probably keeping her Element, too, since it's likely that she owes more on it that it's worth.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:41 AM

681 posts, read 1,721,413 times
Yeah, the Metro gets 50 mpg on the highway.

My 1976 Thunderbird gets 13.6 mpg on the highway.

If the Metro and my T-bird were involved in a head-on collision, or even a T-bone collision, which car would YOU rather be in?

This is why I find talk about downsizing cars due to gas prices hilarious. We're raving about the Smart Fortwo, the Geo Metro, the Toyota Yaris, etc. I don't care how safe they are for their size. Maybe if you're driving a Smart, and you get hit by another Smart, it'll bounce off like any other bumper car does at the amusement park. However, if you're driving a Smart and you get macked by a Ford F550 heavy-duty utility truck, lemme just say that the coroner will rule that your death was as a result of "STUPIDITY".

At what price are you willing to sell your safety?

I've said it before and I'll say it again... I had a 1972 Cadillac Sedan DeVille which needed premium gas and never returned more than 15 mpg. I put about 73,000 miles on it over the time I had it... and I'd still have it if it hadn't been totaled in an accident in July of 2006 (which left me almost completely unharmed, by the way).

73,000 miles at maybe an average of 12mpg (due to my many long road trips with highway driving) means that I bought about 6,083 gallons of gas during its lifetime. I didn't drive it much once gas became expensive, so let's say that the average price I paid for my gas was $1.60/gallon. The total cost would be about $9,733.

Had I been driving a Metro, even if you factor out how the Metro couldn't have held anywhere near the amount of stuff, or the number of people, that I frequently hauled in my Cadillac... at $1.40/gallon average for regular gas at an average of 45mpg for the same 73,000 miles, the gas cost would've been about $2,271.

The cops told me at the accident scene that had I been driving my gas-saving car at the time (1985 Chrysler New Yorker, a lower-mid-size car), I'd've probably wound up in the ER. The Metro is even smaller... so who knows what kind of injuries I'd have suffered.

So I paid an extra $7,462 for gasoline because I chose to drive a large car instead of a small car. If having driven the large car saved me from severe injuries in that accident like the cop said it did, I am glad I spent the extra money. I'd rather be injury-free and $7,462 poorer than to have saved that money but still be suffering from lingering effects of severe injuries sustained years ago in an accident.

What about today? Gas in my town is $3.85 (and of course the 9/10ths) per gallon. Using my Thunderbird at an assumed average mpg of maybe 11, it costs 35 cents per mile to drive it. Using a Metro at an assumed average mpg of 43, it costs 9 cents per mile. The difference is 26 cents.

In 2006, the average number of accidents per 100,000,000 miles traveled was 233. Statistically, that means that the average driver gets into one accident every 429,185 miles. Of course, you're more or less likely to get into accidents depending upon where you live. I lived in New Jersey, with some of the worst drivers in America... and I've lived in Pennsylvania, where it's known to snow eight months out of the year. They haven't figured out how to keep the snow restricted to off-roadway surfaces... and accidents abound in the snow. My mom is a very safe driver and she has logged up approximately 350,000 miles of driving in her life. She's been involved in two accidents and almost had a third one... all on account of other drivers, and all in New Jersey. Even if you want to take only the average... 429,185 miles... multiply that by the 26 cents per mile savings by driving the small car, and you get $111,588.

Injuries happen during car accidents. What would you rather have- a well-functioning body and mind, or a body and mind permanently wracked and damaged by the results of severe injury plus an extra $111,588? Even if your injuries from being in a small car would get compensated monetarily by an insurance company... really, how much money would it take to buy you out of your health and into a permanent state of physical disability and maybe mental disability as well?

Last edited by NWPAguy; 05-21-2008 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: addendum

Old 05-21-2008, 01:45 PM

678 posts, read 1,780,152 times
NWPAGUY,

I started this thread but I gotta agree with you. I ain't a fair playing field out there.
Everybody has an opinion but I look at how many miles I drive each year. For me it's around 12-15,000 max. I'm retired so I can make my mileage disgressionary. Lucky me.
We have several smart (dumb) cars running around where I live, and everytime I see one I visualize a train wreck. I don't care what the new tests show, there is no room for error.
What people drive tells you something about how they value their life. Too many car buyers put the largest emphysis on the wrong issues.
Price...Color...Style...Resale...Mileage...Service ... so may choices,
Where do you put Safety and Survival on that list??
Maybe when the price of gas and diesel get to the $10 range there will be a much larger % of small cars on the road and it won't be such a dangerous mismatch to buy a smaller vehicle.

Silverfox

Old 05-21-2008, 02:03 PM

3,220 posts, read 3,886,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
NWPAGUY,

I started this thread but I gotta agree with you. I ain't a fair playing field out there.
Everybody has an opinion but I look at how many miles I drive each year. For me it's around 12-15,000 max. I'm retired so I can make my mileage disgressionary. Lucky me.
We have several smart (dumb) cars running around where I live, and everytime I see one I visualize a train wreck. I don't care what the new tests show, there is no room for error.
What people drive tells you something about how they value their life. Too many car buyers put the largest emphysis on the wrong issues.
Price...Color...Style...Resale...Mileage...Service ... so may choices,
Where do you put Safety and Survival on that list??
Maybe when the price of gas and diesel get to the $10 range there will be a much larger % of small cars on the road and it won't be such a dangerous mismatch to buy a smaller vehicle.

Silverfox
Exactly my thoughts too!

I don't have a car now, but if I had to get one now safety is #1 on my list - so possibly a full sized mid 1990's or so GM 6cyl for starters and if gas goes wayyyy up and the HUGE majority of motor vehicles were small cars, then I would consider getting one. If I could not afford to fuel the 6cyl GM car I mentioned till then - I wouldn't drive at all.

I hear too many horror stories pertaining to small car accidents in NJ alone to where larger vehicles involved in such walked away most of the time.

I had a 1992 Honda Accord LX for about a year till I sold it in 3/2007 with approx., 139,000 miles on it. I felt unsafe in this car as it felt like soda can tin surrounding me and just not enough protection. All the rest of the cars I ever owned were mid-full sized American cars.

Last edited by njguy; 05-21-2008 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive