Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2022, 03:16 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,035,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
This is a little old but from a us government energy agency.

“While vehicles reach optimal fuel economy at different speeds, gas mileage usually decreases rapidly at speeds above 50 miles per hour (mph). For light-duty vehicles, for example, every 5 mph you drive over 50 mph is like paying $0.18 more per gallon of gas (based on the price of gas at $2.63 per gallon).”.
Do you have the original source for that quote??

Don't forget the increase in global warming gases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2022, 03:22 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,471,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Hello!! Waving at you, me - the lead foot.
As long it's not breaking any driving laws, why do you care?
Drive at your pace and I will drive at mine
He is concerned about you.lol

Old 03-07-2022, 04:03 PM

29,433 posts, read 14,618,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Yep, mostly rednecks in large trucks trying to bully everyone else. I have wondered if those low IQ guys would slow down now that they're having to pay a higher price for their stupidity, haven't noticed it yet.

I have a Tesla so I can go fast without concern about the cost of energy.
Ever think those low IQ rednecks driving those $70k plus trucks might not have a concern with the additional cost ? Perhaps burning a hundred dollar bill for them is like a twenty for you.
Pretentiousness doesn't look good on anyone, why look down on others that make different choices than you ?

Old 03-07-2022, 04:14 PM

61,632 posts, read 86,981,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
He is concerned about you.lol
Right... Lol!!

Old 03-07-2022, 05:10 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,623,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
I wouldn't think getting an extra 2-3 miles per gallon by changing driving habits is all that impactful on most people's budgets.

Difference between 28mpg and 30mpg at 12k/year is just $140 for the year at even $5/gallon.
It also saves on brakes and other components from wearing out faster than normal. The goal of increased fuel economy is more than how you drive. It’s also about vehicle maintenance cost savings.

Old 03-07-2022, 05:46 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,829,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
The lead foot driving is also a safety issue which leads to tail gating. When Im cruising into a red light or stop sign at the speed limit and am about to get rear ended that's a safety issue. It's not all about gas. I also see an apparent lack of knowledge or attention to stopping distances again more tailgating which doesn't seem to be an enforced offense in many jurisdictions.

Warming up the car for 15-30 seconds does save some gas and engine wear. Most vehicles idle high until up to operating temperature. Warmer engine means a warmer better fuel air mix and properly flowing oil which leads to more efficiency. Not saying warm it up for minutes just until the idle drops which is 15-30 seconds in most cars.
What is it then? Are you trying to save gas for everyone or just complaining you don't like the way others drive?

And don't bother giving explanations of fuel economy by citing fuel/air mixture, heavy oil and engine wear considerations unless you're willing to specify you are talking about archaic vehicles not equipped with today's electronic engine controls that regulate performance better than any driver can. Welcome to the 21st century.

Old 03-07-2022, 05:59 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,623,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
What is it then? Are you trying to save gas for everyone or just complaining you don't like the way others drive?

And don't bother giving explanations of fuel economy by citing fuel/air mixture, heavy oil and engine wear considerations unless you're willing to specify you are talking about archaic vehicles not equipped with today's electronic engine controls that regulate performance better than any driver can. Welcome to the 21st century.
Sure modern vehicles ECU will adjust for those issues but they do increase wear and tear on the vehicle. Performing routine maintenance helps to extend the life of the vehicle.

Old 03-07-2022, 06:05 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,829,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Sure modern vehicles ECU will adjust for those issues but they do increase wear and tear on the vehicle. Performing routine maintenance helps to extend the life of the vehicle.
This claim has been beaten to death in other threads; it is not supportable for the vast majority of modern production vehicles. Your last sentence is way off topic.

Old 03-07-2022, 08:22 PM

10,286 posts, read 6,808,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Why do people care on how others drive their vehicles, it’s none of the business they aren’t paying for their gas .
Well, they kinda are...

If you think about demand pressures, then you'll understand why we had gas for less than half, just 2 years ago. (This, and some factors that the current administration put in place) but I digress.

Old 03-07-2022, 08:27 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,153,276 times
Well, if one is paying attention to what other drivers do on the road, one (I, myself, and I) can turn into a "distracted driver"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive