Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2022, 09:48 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,375,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
A Class B extinguisher is necessary for gasoline/accelerant fires.

https://www.strikefirstusa.com/news-...gases-liquids/
What is your point - Lithium ion fires are actually also considered class B - many think they are C or D.

I have fought actual fires, including Class A, B, C and D - the point is that far more ICE fires than on a Li-ion EV and the same type of extinguisher to put out both. While many ICE can start as electrical, they often spread to involve gasoline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2022, 10:37 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,013,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
no, I need to point out that they're far too small for me to fit in comfortably.

It's generally not engine components that take a living room the only vehicle I've ever encountered that was like that was a van. When the engine sits between the driver and the passenger.

It's mostly dash contours and all the junk they put inside the cabin with you.

A lot of that is put in the car to give space between crumple zones and impact zones.

The first time I ever really drove a car for a long time I was working and it was a company car it wasn't anything special just a basic Dodge charger. I was cramped in that car not leg room but side to side.

But my vehicle was a suburban and after driving that car for 8 hours getting in my suburban felt like driving a school bus. So I understand why car drivers complain about driving trucks they drive completely different.
I meant to say with the transmission and everything up front there should be more leg room in comparison to a RWD vehicle.

Old 04-28-2022, 03:09 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,221,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
I meant to say with the transmission and everything up front there should be more leg room in comparison to a RWD vehicle.

I understood what you meant it just didn't make sense on most vehicles in the engine is under the hood whether it's front wheel drive or rear wheel drive not has nothing to do with legroom. And then we will drive the transmission is in the middle underneath so it doesn't really effect legroom.

Old 04-28-2022, 04:24 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
But the trade off is that we’re only getting sound bites. I’m influenced by media as well. I won’t deny that. But I try to ensure I conduct further research before parroting the intentionally-tailored information we’re constantly fed.

For example, over the last few months I’ve been following THE proponent of The Carnivore Diet on social media. Every day he puts out interesting facts, claims, opinions, anecdotes, etc. I recently admitted that I was becoming interested enough to need more real or else I’d be moving into that all-to-frequent danger zone. So now I’m devouring actual books on the topic.

I’m the type to start asking everyone, “But did you know your battery is so expensive its better to blow up the car?†because one guy with a revenue-producing youtube channel ran the numbers and realized a popular video on his channel of him doing this very thing would be more lucrative than fixing the car he just bought without doing any research beforehand.
All true.

Old 04-28-2022, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
What is your point - Lithium ion fires are actually also considered class B - many think they are C or D.

I have fought actual fires, including Class A, B, C and D - the point is that far more ICE fires than on a Li-ion EV and the same type of extinguisher to put out both. While many ICE can start as electrical, they often spread to involve gasoline.
For for cellphone Lithium battery fire a Class-D fire extinguisher is not effective.

Old 04-28-2022, 05:15 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,221,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
For for cellphone Lithium battery fire a Class-D fire extinguisher is not effective.
I would say it's a class d fire because it involves a metallic combustible.

These are the kind of fires that will burn underwater like a road flare for example as long as they're provided with oxygen.

As I understand it the only real way to fight them is to smother them.

But I'm not too sure on how a class d fire extinguisher works so as far as that being useful it may not be.

I've seen the magnesium fire and as far as I know the only thing you can do is let it burn. Perhaps you could dump a bunch of sand on it but I think you just wind up with some glass.

Old 04-28-2022, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankrigby View Post
I would say it's a class d fire because it involves a metallic combustible.

These are the kind of fires that will burn underwater like a road flare for example as long as they're provided with oxygen.

As I understand it the only real way to fight them is to smother them.

But I'm not too sure on how a class d fire extinguisher works so as far as that being useful it may not be.

I've seen the magnesium fire and as far as I know the only thing you can do is let it burn. Perhaps you could dump a bunch of sand on it but I think you just wind up with some glass.
Magnesium and Lithium do burn like a flare underwater. Lithium self ignites from 900 to perhaps 1,000 degrees F., and then blows up. So the idea of cooling an EV lithium battery with cold water is to prevent it from reaching those temperatures. If the battery is remains sealed, cooling it should not be as problematic as if the lithium inside is exposed to water as you can see here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTJh_bzI0QQ

Old 04-29-2022, 02:19 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,375,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
What is your point - I never talked about a cell phone battery and never said to use a class D. I specifically said that Lithium ion batteries are considered class B, just like gasoline, so a class D extinguisher would not be recommended, a class B-C would be best.

Also just to be clear, we are talking lithium ion batteries, not lithium - lithium batteries are not rechargeable and would be a class D fire.

Old 04-29-2022, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
What is your point - I never talked about a cell phone battery and never said to use a class D. I specifically said that Lithium ion batteries are considered class B, just like gasoline, so a class D extinguisher would not be recommended, a class B-C would be best.

Also just to be clear, we are talking lithium ion batteries, not lithium - lithium batteries are not rechargeable and would be a class D fire.
I stand corrected. Class-D fire extinguishers can be used for Lithium and Magnesium fires (I am referring to the metals). Once these metals catch afire, water makes things worst. However, for EV fires the only way to cool the batteries is by dousing them with water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive